Old July 4, 2002, 09:21   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 05:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sugestion to Civ specific abilities
I'd say it would be nice to have an option, when starting a new game, to choose whether you want to play with the normal civ specific abilities (Militaristic, Religious, etc) or you want it to be random for all civs...

Anway, just my few cents...
Old July 5, 2002, 00:59   #2
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 03:45
Good idea!

I probably wouldn't use it myself, but I still think that it is a great idea because it gives people less to complain about.
Old July 5, 2002, 01:13   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i dont like it for one reason, it would make soem civs too powerful.

the way i see it, certain civs are given units to counterbalance their traits.

examples:

egypt:
Religious and Industrious is nothing to sneeze at...
BUT
their unit is worthless if your near a jungle, mountain range, etc.

babylon:
Religious and Scientific
BUT
their unit is 2-2-1 (Archer) i never liked this unit, some people do, whatever.

i have no idea what they did to england...

anyway, my point is that certain attributes have better long term effects for the game, and units help to compensate.
Old July 5, 2002, 01:14   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

addition:

persia with militiristic industrious would be hell.
Old July 5, 2002, 06:33   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i dont like it for one reason, it would make soem civs too powerful.

the way i see it, certain civs are given units to counterbalance their traits.

examples:

egypt:
Religious and Industrious is nothing to sneeze at...
BUT
their unit is worthless if your near a jungle, mountain range, etc.

babylon:
Religious and Scientific
BUT
their unit is 2-2-1 (Archer) i never liked this unit, some people do, whatever.

i have no idea what they did to england...

anyway, my point is that certain attributes have better long term effects for the game, and units help to compensate.
Can't seem to follow you here? What has the UU's with Civ specific abilities?

Even if it unbalances the game, it would make the game more interesting (Unless it's unbalanced to your favor), you might end up having a much tougher AI

And if it really unbalances the game (Because of the UU's), then you also have the ability to turn those off...

And btw, if you don't like it, then just switch it OFF...

All I'm saying here, is I'm tired of playing against the same Civs, with the same specific abilities, in every game...And I don't want to go into the editor every time I want to start a new game...
Old July 6, 2002, 15:18   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, have you guys ever tried to flag the all in a certain civ , ......

maritime should be included , lets see what else can be given as a new ability , ....

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 06:31   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
maritime should be included , lets see what else can be given as a new ability , ....
Could you please tell me what that is?
Old July 20, 2002, 12:57   #8
Free Enterprise
Settler

Apprently he(?) means a new attribute known as "Maritime". It would apprenatly have something to do with with sea faring.... This sounds excessivly specific though....
Old July 20, 2002, 14:04   #9
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
I've also been hoping there would be some kind of random choice. At the choose Civ screen you could pick one of the 24 (after PtW) or a 25th choice; random. Then you would get a leader, a civ and its set of city names, two attributes and a unique unit. Then you could have interesting results like "Ceasar of the Industrious and Scientific Irouqouis with their armies of elite Imortals"
Old July 20, 2002, 15:56   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
I've also been hoping there would be some kind of random choice. At the choose Civ screen you could pick one of the 24 (after PtW) or a 25th choice; random. Then you would get a leader, a civ and its set of city names, two attributes and a unique unit. Then you could have interesting results like "Ceasar of the Industrious and Scientific Irouqouis with their armies of elite Imortals"
I really hope they make that, that would make the games more special...
Old July 23, 2002, 13:08   #11
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 21:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Free Enterprise
Apprently he(?) means a new attribute known as "Maritime". It would apprenatly have something to do with with sea faring.... This sounds excessivly specific though....
So is expansionist, so who knows?
Old July 24, 2002, 05:05   #12
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Why not to let a player decide his civ traits during game?

1) No traits at the beggining, every civ are equal.
2) During game depends on player strategy award him with perks.

Example:

I like to be a scientific/commercial. (Scientific- bonus to research points or access to specific, uniqe units, Commercial- bonus to income or access to uniqe commercial buildings (better markets or smt like this))

I should build more markets or liberies. Every such structure gives me one point. When needed amount of points (depends on map's size and difficulty) gained, then I gain perk scientific or commercial.

The same for militaristic-(better units or reduce upkeep)- build more barracks, units, victories in battles.
Expansionist- (less corruption)- build more settlers, naval units, roads.
Industrious-(more production) build workers, factories, etc.
Religious (more happines, loyality or uu such as crusaders)- build more temples, cathidral etc.

Every perk could have disadvantages, f.e if I'm building markets all the time and gain a commercial perk, it means that I create a civ of traders without strong military traditions-> my military units become weaker.
I'm building many military units and gain a Militaristic perk-> I'm creating civ of warriors, with strong military traditions-> to be a trader in my civ is a shame, markets brings less money or require more time to construct. etc.

Also there could be restrictions about number of perks per age, to make game more balanced.
Old July 24, 2002, 06:09   #13
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 13:45
That might be an interesting setting.

Normal Civ specific abilities are needed though, so each civ is more than a name. Im glad Civ3 introduced the feature but in PTW there should be more - two just doesn't seem to make enough difference with the AI.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 10, 2002, 18:36   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

with at least 8 new civ's on the way , and a total of 31 , their should be at least 4 , maybe 6 new "civ specific abilities" , .....

this combination would allow one to make the civ' more intresting , and we could even give a civ 3 or even 4 "abilities" , ....

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; August 11, 2002 at 16:07.
Old August 10, 2002, 18:46   #15
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Serb; that's exactly how I wish this game had turned out . . . you list all of my broken dreams . . .

I really wished it had been a game where your civ really did evolve, not one where you pick the Americans because they are "Fated" to be expansionist, and you somehow know that in 6000 years time you will be able to build special airplanes (try explaining THAT to your loyal warriors and spearmen )

If you wage war, you might get certain new units, or military techs might get cheaper etc.

What I'd really like would be slight changes to your units stats over time. Much like an elite victory can make a leader, an elite victory could give you an extra attack or defense to that unit. "Sir, New Strategies demonstrated in our Elite Knight's victory has given our knights the skill to attack better" and all your knights become 5/3/2. But I digress, that's somewhat off topic.
Old August 11, 2002, 06:28   #16
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
Serb; that's exactly how I wish this game had turned out . . . you list all of my broken dreams . . .

I really wished it had been a game where your civ really did evolve, not one where you pick the Americans because they are "Fated" to be expansionist, and you somehow know that in 6000 years time you will be able to build special airplanes (try explaining THAT to your loyal warriors and spearmen )

If you wage war, you might get certain new units, or military techs might get cheaper etc.

What I'd really like would be slight changes to your units stats over time. Much like an elite victory can make a leader, an elite victory could give you an extra attack or defense to that unit. "Sir, New Strategies demonstrated in our Elite Knight's victory has given our knights the skill to attack better" and all your knights become 5/3/2. But I digress, that's somewhat off topic.
I always wished they did something like that...hope they make it in the 2nd expansion...