Old July 4, 2002, 13:43   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Taking Away Another Civ's Valuables
Hello

I have read some great stuff on this forum, and I've always wanted to contribute, to write my own 'Strategy Report' if you will. I have this strategy I use that seems to work well against the AI, and I want to explain, though it's simple and someone else has probably thought of it. I take away their valuables.

I'll tell you a scenario that would require this strategy. The scenario is I am the Americans, a large and powerful nation, and I am fighting a war against Russia, another large and powerful nation sharing a continent w/me. I am sure we'll start shooting nukes at each other soon, and if that's the case, I'll lose the war. The have the missile defense wonder. The city w/it is far away from the border, so I won't get it for a while, and that's assuming I wouldn't get pounded first. So I loaded up 8 partroopers on four choppers, investigated the city it was in to check its garrison, and I dropped the partroopers by the city and after a series of attacks I captured it. I then airdropped tons of reinforcements in. I then had two options then. I could start a large assault behind their lines and wipe out a ton of cities or, since I had the wonder, now nuke them to death.

Something like this really happened in a game to me, though it was a little different. I had an ally (the Zulu) and both of us combined was about the size of the Russians. I did the attack but made several mistakes. One was I didn't do any recon to see if any units were close nearby, and two, I did the attack and captured the city at the end of my turn. I was going to airdrop reinforcements at the next turn but the airport was bombarded and destroyed. I then had a bunch of paratroopers behind enemy lines w/a leader, badly needed for apollo program. To find out what happened next, read the story at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=51860

As you can see, you can use this for a ton of purposes, though mostly for getting wonders. Please gimme input!

John
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 4, 2002, 14:52   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's great to see someone getting good use out of Helicopters and Paratroopers!
Old July 4, 2002, 18:49   #3
Flight
Warlord

ditto
i've used marines a bit but not paratroopers yet - might try this one to grab a city with a resource/wonder
Old July 5, 2002, 01:39   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
John,

I'll read the other thread, but GODDAMN good to see someone use Helos and Paras.

Your tale brings up something I haven;t seen mentioned... in Civ2, newly landed fighters would respond to bombers... now it's 1 turn more, and set to superiority, which sucks.

BTW, resource capture / denial is one of the joys of Civ life. Well done.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 5, 2002, 22:21   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
I was under the impression that the SDI was a small wonder.
Old July 5, 2002, 23:43   #6
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 22:46
It is.
Old July 6, 2002, 04:51   #7
Thoth
King

GeneralTacticus: Yes, SDI is a small wonder. Capturing the enemy city that built it destroys the wonder, thus allowing you to nuke your enemy.
Old July 6, 2002, 22:24   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I was confused because he referred to 'now having the wonder'.
Old July 13, 2002, 22:02   #9
johncmcleod
Prince

Oh yeah, I forgot about that when I wrote this (the game happened a while ago and the only thing I remember is I won not very far after that in a total nuclear war). The point is I could safely nuke them afterwards
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old September 10, 2002, 07:14   #10
Lucarse
Warlord

What i can't understand is what kind of garrison did the city have, it must have been infantry? i can't see an attack of 8 paratroops winning against a garrisoned MI??
Old September 12, 2002, 03:49   #11
Nemesis
Settler

Quote:
So I loaded up 8 partroopers on four choppers, investigated the city it was in to check its garrison, and I dropped the partroopers by the city and after a series of attacks I captured it.
I'm confused?
How do load up 8 partroopers on four choppers.

Old September 13, 2002, 18:05   #12
JohnM2433
Warlord

I will usually try to capture an enemy civ's Great Wonders, luxuries and strategic resources ASAP. Small Wonders are a good target, too -- taking one won't directly benefit you, because it gets destroyed, but it may cripple your opponent.
Old September 14, 2002, 01:19   #13
johncmcleod
Prince

I changed it so choppers carried two units-I think it made things more realistic.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:24   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
hi ,

a save would be nice , ....

have a nice day
Old September 17, 2002, 02:59   #15
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Why would you load paratroopers on choppers?
Old September 17, 2002, 06:52   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Why would you load paratroopers on choppers?
hi ,
maybe because they are great in going forward , ........

have a nice day
Attached Images:

Old September 17, 2002, 08:37   #17
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

But you can load anything in a chopper. The whole point of paratroopers is that they don't need choppers.
Old October 9, 2002, 15:28   #18
bbaws
Warlord

But they do need airports to paradrop from. Frequently the chopper is the cheaper and more flexible option.
Old October 9, 2002, 20:18   #19
Thoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
But you can load anything in a chopper. The whole point of paratroopers is that they don't need choppers.
If you're playing stock rules, you can only load foot units into helicopters. If you've upgraded your Infantry to MI, you can only load Marines, Paratroopers, Workers, ect.

Paratroopers are a natural to load into choppers as they come with the same optional tech.
Old October 9, 2002, 21:15   #20
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46
Can fighters intercept choppers? It is my understanding paratroops cannot be intercepted.

Of course, if you do NOT recon a drop zone you CAN lose your paratroops if the tile is occupied (I only needed to learn that once).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.