Old July 4, 2002, 20:20   #1
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anyone Prefer Smaller Maps Over Big?
I was wondering, is it just me, or does anyone else also like playing the smaller map types? I've recently made two maps, one tiny, one small (the small one used the "Andrew Small" map from the recent update on civ.com as its base) with support for 8 and 9 civs respectively. I don't know what it is, but I really like playing like this. I guess I like not having masses of unimportant cities and units, or having to sail for several turns just to reach a land mass. Plus, there's more of an opportunity to really use terrain specific strategies (eg. choke points, seizing resources, blockading, etc) My first map (I had to make it myself as the random generator was horrible for giving any of the 8 civs a chance on the tiny map) was a blast to play, took quite a while and may have been the most fun I've had with the game.
Anybody else here a tiny/small map fan? If there are I can post that first map see how you all like it.
Old July 4, 2002, 20:22   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I play pretty much only Huge maps.
Old July 4, 2002, 20:51   #3
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
I like stadard or lower maps.

Anything else is just too much for mine 333MHz Celeron.

It's pity there are no good Standard (or at least Large) Earth World Maps.

Everiyone is obssesed with super huge, unplayable (without at least 1.5GHz) Marla Wolrd Map.
Old July 4, 2002, 21:23   #4
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
Everiyone is obssesed with super huge, unplayable (without at least 1.5GHz) Marla Wolrd Map.
I don't think Marla's World Map is unplayable, and I have a PIII 550MHz. Even in modern age with 10 other civs I get about only a 30 second time delay between turns.
Old July 4, 2002, 22:17   #5
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 20:48
To me 30 second delay is unplayable. I only play small or tiny maps with at least 8 civs. It makes the game quicker and makes each city more important. Also, you don't have to move around a million guys to take over another civ. If everyone maxes out with 5-8 cities, you don't need to build up 200 infantry to take over a civ.
Old July 4, 2002, 23:04   #6
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 13:48
Standard maps are all my 350Mhz PII can take. And tiny maps are just too small. Therefore, I always play on standard maps.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 4, 2002, 23:30   #7
Spock
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:48
Hmmm....my wife must be lying....it seems size does matter.
Old July 5, 2002, 00:37   #8
Slax
Prince

I got very bored of the game, and stopped playing for a while, but came back to the game, mainly because I started playing on Tiny maps.
Old July 5, 2002, 00:39   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I actually don;t think I've played either small or tiny (not a response to Spock).

How do you do so with more than the # of civs allowed in settings?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 5, 2002, 01:36   #10
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

I really like huge maps with all civs; and that is all I played for a long time, but haven't played recently. I've been playing tiny, small and standard maps recently because the games are faster (and I have an older, slower, laptop).

I was pretty surprised by the changes to play style needed by moving from map size to map size -- it's something I never would have expected until I actually did it. On a tiny map, in the early middle ages, assuming the tech race is about even, it is extremely difficult to sacrifice 4 or 5 cities' production to wonders when you only have 12 cities (and Sun Tzu, Leo's Sistine, JS Bach's, and Copernicus are all available -- with Smith's, Magellan's and Newtons right around the corner). On a huge map, giving 5 cities' production to wonders doesn't crimp your style.

Catt
Old July 5, 2002, 02:11   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Catt, meaning production needs to go to the military? Or just keeping pace with city build-out?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:19   #12
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 13:18
I find the movement of large amounts of forces a bit of a bore. It was much better with CTP because of the army grouping feature.

Hence I play with small maps but with about 8-10 civs to make it interesting.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:26   #13
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Catt, meaning production needs to go to the military? Or just keeping pace with city build-out?
Both. With only 12 - 15 cities, wonder production starts to seem like a luxury.
Old July 5, 2002, 13:28   #14
dunk
Prince

I play on standard maps. More contact, more fun.
Old July 5, 2002, 14:45   #15
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
Well said dunk, "more contact, more fun"
That's why I've been playing tiny or small maps with 8 players. You have more contact, but even more so. You're only a few turns sailing ro walking from pretty much any other civ, so diplomacy and trading etc. gets started really quickly.
Old July 5, 2002, 16:11   #16
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 00:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I was pretty surprised by the changes to play style needed by moving from map size to map size -- it's something I never would have expected until I actually did it.
Catt
That is precisely how I felt when I moved from large maps to small ones. And I enjoyed it greatly. A tense and violent game, that demanded all of my diplomatic skills. Very different from the more relaxed games I had before, which demanded more of a management ability.

Alex