Old July 5, 2002, 20:59   #31
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
If someone wants to conduct a repoll, then it must be created at least 3 weeks following the initial poll. If a repoll is created before 3 weeks has passed, then that poll is immediately invalid.
That's the constitution
Old July 5, 2002, 21:00   #32
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Okay okay, THREE weeks then!
Old July 5, 2002, 21:45   #33
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 21:48
What about write in candidates?
Old July 5, 2002, 21:55   #34
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 21:48
Here's my proposed amendment:

quote:
A person may run for only one office per election. He may only be elected twice to the same office.

The winner of the election is determined by a simple majority vote: whoever gets the most votes wins. In the case of a tie, there will be a run-off between the tied canidates (in the case of a 3+ person election), or a vote will be sent to the ministers to decide who wins.

One may only hold a particular office twice in a row. There are no limits beyond that regarding reelection for either that office, or any other.

The first and last paragraphs are in disagreement with each other.

The middle paragraph "or"; I think in case of a tie, then a run off by the people voting is better, for obvious reasons.

As to being conducted by VP/P, issues of bias spring to mind, regardless of what the political leanings of the person are. I would like to see it done by a neutral group/person. Of course, the bias can blow up in the person/party's face.
Old July 6, 2002, 13:23   #35
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

the terms should be longer , ...

lets say two months , ...or even three , ...

have a nice day
Old July 6, 2002, 13:25   #36
jdd2007
NationStates
King

didnt we vote on 2 terms, panag?
Old July 6, 2002, 13:27   #37
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

We voted on term length alread, and 1 month was what was decided upon.
Old July 6, 2002, 13:28   #38
jdd2007
NationStates
King

ok. thats too bad, though
Old July 6, 2002, 14:32   #39
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
We voted on term length alread, and 1 month was what was decided upon.
hi ,

, maybe we should make the terms longer , ...

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 20:57   #40
Jon Shafer

This amendment is an attempt to rectify the potential loopholes of governmental elections, and to lay out basic rules.

Each election takes place exactly one month after the previous election. A Pre-Election thread must be created at least a week before the elections are set to take place. All elections must last 5 days. All canidates must announce their canidacy before the elections begin, or else he will be excluded from the ballot. Once the 5 days has passed, then the new or reelected ministers will be admitted to their offices.

The elections must be conducted by either the current President, or the current Vice-President. If they are unavailable at the time of the election, then someone may be selected by a majority vote among the Ministers to conduct the elections.

The winner of the election is determined by a simple majority vote: whoever gets the most votes wins. In the case of a tie, there will be a run-off between the tied canidates (in the case of a 3+ person election), or a vote will be sent to the ministers to decide who wins.

A person may run for only one office per election. One may only hold a particular office twice in a row. There are no limits beyond this regarding reelection for either that office, or any other.

'Joint candidates' of more than 1 person are allowed, but there may only be 2 people maximum running as a team. The limit for teammates for Vice-President is 3, while the office of President does not allow any form of team to run.

This is it. Any last minute suggestions? I'm going to put it up for a vote tonight just in time for the elections to begin in 5 days.

Last edited by Jon Shafer; July 7, 2002 at 21:35.
Old July 7, 2002, 21:01   #41
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:48
I suggest the VP role not be forced to be 1 person.

Heck, IRL, some nations have mutltiple VP's (Afghanistan had 3 before one got assassinated).

if the Prez and 1 VP arent around, there would be NO harm if there was another to back up the first VP.
Old July 7, 2002, 21:07   #42
Jon Shafer

Good idea. I suppose multiple VPs is better than multiple-anythings. I'll knock the limit up to 3.
Old July 7, 2002, 22:44   #43
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 22:48
Bah...why not have a line of succession? If President cannot function, it goes to VP, then to the Minister of Military and Minister of Domestic Affairs or whatever - the essentials, until a new pres. is elected, etc.

I really don't think the solution is more people.
Old July 10, 2002, 17:04   #44
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 19:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

The people already voted to have a limit (in a row), so that's what I'm going to put in the amendment. If you disagree, you can always start a poll on it.
With all of these rules on polls, I'm afraid that I wil inadvertly break one of them and be banned from Apolytonia by the Supreme Court.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old July 10, 2002, 17:52   #45
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevman
With all of these rules on polls, I'm afraid that I wil inadvertly break one of them and be banned from Apolytonia by the Supreme Court.
Just read the last part of the Constitution, it's not that long.