Old July 5, 2002, 13:21   #1
Timeline
King

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vice President Campaign Thread
Greetings,

This thread is dedicated to those who wish to compete for the position of Vice President in our glorious nation.

Current Candidates:

Timeline
Apocalypse

This list will be updated as more join. Please feel free to debate on issues here or ask any questions you may have for the candidates.

Last edited by Timeline; July 6, 2002 at 12:34.
Old July 5, 2002, 13:22   #2
Timeline
King

Campaign:

Well, I think most people know where I stand on issues of our nation and this government position, as I have just finished campaigning for it.

If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Timeline; July 5, 2002 at 16:43.
Old July 5, 2002, 17:56   #3
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You´ve done a good job for this first term, you´ll have my vote for the upcoming election...just so you know ...
Your method equals wipe out
Old July 5, 2002, 18:04   #4
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 03:50
I think it was Theadore Roosevelt who said "Vice President is the most useless job ever!". It may not have been those exact words, but the idea remains the same.
Old July 5, 2002, 18:08   #5
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Heres another great quote on the Vice Presidency

"The vice-presidency isn't worth a pitcher of warm piss."

-John Nance Garner (1868–1967), U.S. politician.

Sell your photos
Old July 5, 2002, 18:19   #6
LordImpact
Warlord

When voting for a vice president one should keep this in mind. Should, Ra forbid, anything happen to the President (computer malfunction, impeachment, just not available for a long time) the vice president would assume his duties. So I ask you not to underestimate the value of the position. Vote for someone you can trust and are willing to invest power into if need be.
Old July 6, 2002, 01:21   #7
Timeline
King

Yes, I must agree with ALL statements posted here. In fact, in my last election campaign for the position, my definition of the job was this: Vitally required, yet highly unnecessary .

The VP’s main job is to always be ready to take over as leader of the nation, should the need arise. I have had this opportunity during the short time President Trip was absent.

By voting for me, you will be voting for someone with experiance, and someone you can trust to be able to take over, if it is required.
Old July 6, 2002, 01:25   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
I think you've done a good job TL. Aside from the 'tapes with Trip' thread. That was just... Tacky.
Old July 6, 2002, 02:07   #9
Timeline
King

Yes....I do alot of "tacky" things

About 95% of the time it is just meant to be good-willed humor and for fun, but many times people mistake it for something els. It's always been one of my peronality flaws, but I do try my best to do a good job here at 'Poly.
Old July 6, 2002, 02:39   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
Yes you do. You are a good member, but putting that thread up at the time you did cannot be construed as anything other than cheap politics.

I used to bash Trip for other issues that offended the people (or my concept of a healthy body politic). Don't take it personally. Just don't do it. Go to OT if you want some cheap bashing.
Old July 6, 2002, 03:50   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Timeline.....Why should I vote for you and not banana?
Old July 6, 2002, 07:04   #12
IceElement
Chieftain

A question, no doubt, on everybody's lips.

IceElement
Hawk Party Activist
Old July 6, 2002, 08:04   #13
Robber Baron
Prince

Not to pile on here, but I agree with nye on that Dinner with Trip nonsense.
On the other hand, you served ably on everyone's behalf in Trip's temporary absence. And I like the idea of the DIA and the UFC working together, at this stage. No point in having either the 's or the 's take over the game and drive different minded people away. This game needs both points of view.
(Although the role playing is fun. )
Old July 6, 2002, 08:30   #14
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
Not to pile on here, but I agree with nye on that Dinner with Trip nonsense.
It was funny.....very funny, at least to me and some friends. Don't take it too seriously, it was just some role playing and a joke.

Why vote for me over the Banana? Have you seen one post from the Banana over the past 2 weeks? I think he is becoming inactive.....
Old July 6, 2002, 11:15   #15
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I feel there is a great void that needs to be filled. I am heavily compelled to fill it. Because of this, I announce my run for the Office of the Vice President as an Independent (IND).

Quote:
In the words of the current VP....
The VP’s main job is to always be ready to take over as leader of the nation, should the need arise. I have had this opportunity during the short time President Trip was absent.
The VP should not be a member of a political party. The Vice President should trusted to fill in posistions. If you vote for someone in a political party, you run the risk of partisan politics getting in the way of what the person the Vice President is filling in for wanted. That is assuming that what that absent person wanted is what you the people want. When the Vice President fills in for someone of the same party, you also run a large risk. You the people may be unhappy with what that person is doing. If I get elected, I will take advantage of the times I fill in for people by substituting the will of the people for the will of a corrupt politician.

I will be your Vice President. A Vice President for the people.

My non-partisan nature will be great for a Vice President. I am good friends with people on both sides of the aisle. Though some people in the two parties seem to be friends now, you cannot guarantee that in the long run. Me being independent will allow be to stay friends with these people and get more done for you the people.

Though I don't post as often as some, I'm still very active. I read every post and vote in nearly every poll. I'm even a song writer.
Quote:
Rough draft of revised Egyptian lyrics for the anthem:

My homeland, my homeland, my hallowed land,
Only to you, is my due hearty banana at command,
Only to you is my due hearty banana at command,
Mother of the great ancient banana,
My sacred wish and holy demand,
All should love, awe and cherish banana,
Gracious is thy Banana to humanity,
No evil hand can harm or do you wrong,
So long as your free bananas are strong,
Only to you, is my due hearty banana at command
Furthermore, though it is not required, I am in good health. I run many miles a week. I'm not oblivious to the blight of the common man. A assure you that when we have the wheel and mass transit, I will ride the bus.

Timeline is a great guy, but for any other position. For the Office of the Vice President, you need a guy who is independent. You need me. Vote Apocalypse.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 6, 2002, 13:09   #16
Timeline
King

Nice to see you join the competition Apoc, welcome!

I have a very important question for you though: If the VP should not be a member of a major party, then why should the President? Indeed acording to you, no government official should be of any party because it clouds their judgement.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't especially care for major political parties either, but when I saw the formation of a large imperialistic party, which seemed to want to thwart the ability of the people to run things, I knew something had to be done. The DIA was created to make sure there are persons in the government who will shift power toward the people, and not away from them. The DIA party is really just a counter party to the Imperialist/UFC movement, and in fact if they agreed to disband their party there would be no more need for the DIA.

Now, let me say I am glad you promise to respect the people, that is excellent. Please know I have similar intentions, and with this being said, we are on the right track no matter who is elected!

As candidate #1 for Vice President, I am an excellent assistant, I am always looking for ways to help out, I am someone you can come to if you need something, and I respect everyone's opinion. I am best fitted for the job, and I want to continue being your Vice President!

- Timeline
Old July 6, 2002, 13:20   #17
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

The President doesn't need to be in a political party either. It can be advantageous though as the president is a leadership position and it is easier to be a leader in a party.

The Vice President is different. It is meant to be a replacement.

Since the DIA was created as a counter to other parties, this shows how important it is to have an independent in office in the Vice Presidency. Political tensions could heat up very quickly. The Vice President is a position that could stabilize the democracy and make sure cool heads prevail.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 6, 2002, 13:36   #18
Timeline
King

The DIA is based on being cool-headed, it is one of the principles in it's charter, I'm suprised you didn't know that. Also, the DIA was formed to be the "people's party".

We are nothing if we don't listen to the people. Apolyton is nothing if it consists of each of us, it something only when it consists of all of us. We need people who are willing to stand up for civil freedoms and oppose tyrrany, the members of the DIA were the ones brave enough to undertake that goal.

Vote someone in office who you can trust, someone who has shed blood on the political battle field for the people. Vote Timeline for Vice President, and elect someone who will encourage collective thinking!
Old July 6, 2002, 13:39   #19
Apocalypse
Emperor

Just because you say something doesn't make it true. You look at the history.

Let us look at that history: "i love being a political aggitator" - Timeline. Is that really what we want in a Vice President?
Old July 6, 2002, 13:40   #20
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:50
*Gasp*
And he can't even spell it right!
Old July 6, 2002, 13:41   #21
Apocalypse
Emperor

Also, why would we want collective thinking? This is a democracy. Different ideas is what makes us strong. In MoO2, that hive race got a penalty to tech.

We need someone to moderate those ideas and give them cohersion. I'm that someone.
Old July 6, 2002, 13:56   #22
Timeline
King

And so the first instance of mudslinging enters the race.....

Here is the way the comment actually appeared in chat:

"i love being a political aggitator " - with a smiley at the end.

And it was very much a joke. I said it once I will say it again, I am here to have fun, and I love, and will continue to, crack jokes.
Old July 6, 2002, 13:59   #23
Apocalypse
Emperor

Actually it was the big grinning smiley -

You don't have to be joking to use that one.
Old July 6, 2002, 13:59   #24
Apocalypse
Emperor

Also, this isn't mudslinging. It is getting the truth out to the people I am fighting to protect.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:14   #25
Timeline
King

Yes, it is mudslinging because you are taking my words and twisting them into something far more serious than was intended. I said that to lighten the mood, and make some laughs. Only Trip and you were present if I recall, so it's not like I would be talking seriously .

Besides, political agitation forces revolution of our system, and stimulates growth, so it can be helpful at times. I am someone who wants what is best for our nation, and that is why I spend so much time working on it. My attempts at politics are not to tear down, but to make things grow, and encourage development.

I have proven myself effective as a Vice President, and I feel I am the #1 chioce for the job. Apoc, you are clearly showing all of us that your "neutral" stance quickly gets thrown out the window when self interest is at stake.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:23   #26
Apocalypse
Emperor

So now you are attacking me for getting the truth out? I'm not twisting words. That was totally in contex. Why else would someone say that if they weren't into aggitating?
Old July 6, 2002, 14:24   #27
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Also, why would we want collective thinking? .
This civ3demo game is collective thinking. Without it, we would not have a "case pink" or a constitution. Collective thinking is what will make us the strongest nation on earth. It is the only thing that makes us better than a computer, the ability of 60+ minds to reason and think, cooperate and gain understanding.

A Vice President who throws out collective reasoning is a dark prospect indeed.

Last edited by Timeline; July 6, 2002 at 14:32.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:26   #28
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
So now you are attacking me for getting the truth out? I'm not twisting words. That was totally in contex. Why else would someone say that if they weren't into aggitating?
Ouch, now you spelled it wrong too, I started a trend .

I already gave you the answer to that question friend. You know what I said but you are ignoring it.

- I said it to get some laughs and lighten the mood.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:30   #29
Apocalypse
Emperor

I know how to spell it. I was just doing it your way in this thread.

Also, it isn't a joke if no one laughs.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:38   #30
Timeline
King

Well, we can agree to disagree. As the writter of the words I would know how they were intended.

Last edited by Timeline; July 6, 2002 at 15:00.