Old July 8, 2002, 15:22   #61
Benjamin_Berman
Settler

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
Well, Benjamin... the odds are not actually swinging in our favour.
Doing research is kinda slow at the time, but there is a well formed tech-trading plan ready for execution. (what's been done already?) Hmmm... we could at least get the Alphabet, but that would'nt help us now. We ought to rely on numerous archers and spearmen at this time. Though only 4 to 8 mounts could help us out somewhat, it could be a nightmare to aquire them soon enough?
We can't just barge into a war without doing a TON of planning first. I know that's what we're doing now, but if we go into this Plan Eagle with so many units, we could be wasting shields on lots of weak units that could be used for ONE strong unit and then used for something else. The better the units, the smaller the army, and that is what I'm saying would work better. and, if we use stronger units, we will be more advanced technologically, and we will have an army to be used as a defensive peacetime army for more than just the time between. I'm probably not making much sense, but I posted a better reply at the bottom of the Military Minister Campaign Thread just today.
Old July 8, 2002, 15:43   #62
Captain
King

out of curiosity, any one have an idea what are the chances of avoiding auto-razing of NY and boston by sequential palace jumps are?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 8, 2002, 15:53   #63
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
out of curiosity, any one have an idea what are the chances of avoiding auto-razing of NY and boston by sequential palace jumps are?
i've been pondering that myself, but we'd have to wait a few turns after the capitial jumps, right? do the borders have to grow, or does it just have to produce culture?
Old July 8, 2002, 16:01   #64
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin_Berman
We can't just barge into a war without doing a TON of planning first. I know that's what we're doing now, but if we go into this Plan Eagle with so many units, we could be wasting shields on lots of weak units that could be used for ONE strong unit and then used for something else. The better the units, the smaller the army, and that is what I'm saying would work better. and, if we use stronger units, we will be more advanced technologically, and we will have an army to be used as a defensive peacetime army for more than just the time between. I'm probably not making much sense, but I posted a better reply at the bottom of the Military Minister Campaign Thread just today.
Benjamin, I'm certain we'd all love to go into the next war with Swordsmen, but the fact is that we have no nearby resources (in 99% likelyhood... getting iron from 1 mountain in the middle of the jungle is nearly impossible). So we have to take those resources. Waiting for Mathematics and Iron Working is pointless unless we have iron to use. Which is unlikely.
Old July 8, 2002, 16:34   #65
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
I believe it is simply a one-turn produce culture. I am almost certain it doesn't have to expand boarders, but don't know if there is a limit on how much culture it needs to produce.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 8, 2002, 17:24   #66
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

What do if France goes to war with us while were at war the
U.S.?
Old July 8, 2002, 17:30   #67
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

How about we....
1. Take one city
2. Sue for peace with the US while alll our foces in that city (I
think the capital will be the best) Using the city
3. So all our fores goes to our capital and then we march them to the hills to kill the pink people. *4. Make and plan to kill the France and do it
* Am not sure about that part. Sorry for the DP
Old July 8, 2002, 18:56   #68
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

To answer the question about autoraze. For the record, a city MUST have expanded its border before it will not be autorazed. Of course a 2 city won't be autorazed either. Sometime in my games(where i have a big advantage) i will let the city get to this point(10 turns after palace jump).
Aggie
Old July 10, 2002, 04:01   #69
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

That is exactly why I want to take 2 cities quickly in the initial invasion, and not just 1.
The question worrying me is : will we take the two cities sooner with two stacks not strong enough to make certain the outcome we want, or with one strong stack assaulting New York then Washington a few turns later. Time is so critical that imho the simplest solution must be investigated.
Old July 10, 2002, 04:10   #70
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

DAVOUT

It can be assumed that each American city will contain 2 spear and 1 archer/horse, at most. Hense, 5 archers per stack would win the day in almost all cases.

If we wait too long, we will see sword in those cities. That would be very bad.

BTW. Good nom de plume
Old July 10, 2002, 04:26   #71
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

NOTYOUEITHER.

When something can go wrong, it'll go wrong.
My point is that in almost all cases is not enough in the circumstances, and that in attacking with 2 spears and 6 archers, we can start about seven ou eight turns sooner ; and Washington is so close to New York that the Americans will hardly match our own reinforcement.
Old July 10, 2002, 05:59   #72
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The original plan was for 2 spear and 6 archer total.

That has been spun out to 3 spear and 10 archers.

We cannot build up archers indefinitely to gain 99.9% certainty. The game will pass us by.

At a certain point we will have to take a deep breath and attack. There will be some risk. What we seek to do is to minimize the risk, while not nackering ourselves for the price.
Old July 10, 2002, 06:57   #73
DAVOUT
King

I did not say to build more archers, but to attack sooner with a stronger stack, instead of waiting seven turns until we have two weak stacks ; this does not imply to build more archers. A way to let open both plans would be to concentrate the units assigned to the strike force in the area immediately NW of Banana HQ.
Old July 10, 2002, 07:15   #74
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
We can´t always keep changing our current plans into something thats grander and requires more force. That will simply mean that the oppurtunity will pass us by. Now we will change the initial Case Pink ( the attack on France) for Plan Eagle. A plan that will require more time to prepare for, eating up more of our resourcess and pitching us against a stronger foe. The initial thought was that we simply neede more space, we will get that much more easilly attacking the French. Therefore that is the plan we whould stick with.
Old July 10, 2002, 07:33   #75
DAVOUT
King

Papa Chubby,

This is the Plan Eagle thread, and the military moves have not yet begun ; it is therefore still time to discuss the main choices we'll face in 30 turns. By the way, it would be helpfull that any strategical plan includes a non-return point. Of course, if this point has already been reached, I'll refrain commenting.
Old July 10, 2002, 10:23   #76
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
Dear Davout.

I do believe that I was discussing the plan, I was simply stating what I felt. If I in someway confused you with my grammatics I sincerely apologies.

With Regards, Papa Chubby

Last edited by Papa Chubby; July 10, 2002 at 11:12.
Old July 10, 2002, 17:30   #77
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 19:52
This is good and all but I'm afraid that it will take too long to build the army required. By the way, does anyone have any idea how many units we have?
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old July 10, 2002, 17:50   #78
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevman
This is good and all but I'm afraid that it will take too long to build the army required. By the way, does anyone have any idea how many units we have?
Currently, we have only defensive forces. None of the units we currently have (1 spearmen, 5 or so Warriors, I believe) will be invovled in Eagle.