Old July 6, 2002, 06:54   #1
IceElement
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
200+ members/ citizenship.. but where are they voting?
Just a quick point I'd like to make after seeing Gramphos' huge list of members (of which I am a respectable 201st ), I ask some of these members to voice their opinions, join political parties, and above all, vote in polls!
I'm not asking every tom, **** (< lol@apolyton) and harry to spam the forum with trivial points and questions, but some input on the game's direction is surely required?
The voting on many important decisions and candidancy (sp?) is left to a small percentage, whilst the masses seem to stay silent...

So speak up, join a political party (i recommend the Hawk Party) or just generally take up your right to vote and make your opinions heard!

Note:
Perhaps the majority of the populus cannot access the Apolyton site within the short spaces of time allowed... especially on some of the more important issues such as political goverment candidate assignments, maybe an extension is needed if a certain percentage of citizens don't vote? Just the opinion of a small-time settler 201st in the pecking line

IceElement
Hawk Party Activist
Old July 6, 2002, 07:03   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:52
Many people stop coming here because they're on vacaion, bored by the DemoGame, or simply don't have time for now (or forever )
Our problem is that we don't remove people from the list, because we don't know if they explicitely take part in the game or not. A possible solution (as disorganizer put it) would be to make a new joining thread every month or so.

Another solution is simply not to care. If people want to participate, let them o so. If they don't want, let it be until they change their minds, or not. Just consider we have 80 active citizens at this time (which is already fairly large).
Old July 6, 2002, 07:15   #3
IceElement
Chieftain

Another reason I just thought of; complexity of the 'code of laws', political bureuacracy and the like. I have to admit, on entrance to this forum I had some trouble trying to follow and even understand what was going on... both currently and in past turns. I was aided much by the formation of Trip's new site (which i very much praise [you got my vote ]), and some of the reports by the Apolytonian and the Times, (again, ty)

Now I am up to date with all thats going on, I find the complexity of the game very appealing; yet I found it very daunting, even off-putting to begin with.
The results are this... the complexity and... clutter (for want of a better word) of the forum attracts only the more... persevering and serious gamers, yet clearly does not appeal to the majority of new members.

Whether this is a good thing or not is debatable.

IceElement
Hawk Party Activist
Old July 6, 2002, 16:08   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I didn't feel the constitution was (or is) too complex, or that the government was/is too bureuacratic.

However, I did feel a little lost at first. Perhaps there should be a topped thread for newcomers with links and descriptions of all threads and websites helpful in getting up to speed?
Old July 6, 2002, 16:09   #5
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 23:52
every ... 3 months or so anyway, we need to have a re-sign up....
Old July 6, 2002, 16:26   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
every ... 3 months or so anyway, we need to have a re-sign up....
hi ,

, we could always check the "members" , top left of the posting page , ....
and we should simply ask that they PM , or some one could PM them , ....

we should also have a list or thread where people can sign out , ...

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 06:53   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:52
Quote:
Originally posted by IceElement
Another reason I just thought of; complexity of the 'code of laws', political bureuacracy and the like. I have to admit, on entrance to this forum I had some trouble trying to follow and even understand what was going on... both currently and in past turns.
Do I have a book of my ideas out somewhere that everyone reads?

Seriously, tho' the "silent majority" that votes, plus a fair few posting members have defeated those of us who consider the Constitution too complex time and again. I fear views like ours are more on the radical side of this game.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 7, 2002, 15:05   #8
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Do I have a book of my ideas out somewhere that everyone reads?

Seriously, tho' the "silent majority" that votes, plus a fair few posting members have defeated those of us who consider the Constitution too complex time and again. I fear views like ours are more on the radical side of this game.
hi ,

, last line , do you mean the group that post's often compared to the group that post's almost never , ...

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 16:28   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:52
I mean (as people such as Trip can very well attest to ) that I fought long and hard to have only a very limited set of rules, and no wordy Constitution was necessary. IceElement's desire for simplicity reflects my own from some weeks ago.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 7, 2002, 16:36   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I mean (as people such as Trip can very well attest to ) that I fought long and hard to have only a very limited set of rules, and no wordy Constitution was necessary. IceElement's desire for simplicity reflects my own from some weeks ago.
hi ,

, yes it should be simple , ....

but it aint possible with such a game and such large numbers of people , ...

for now it aint complicated , it needs some work , but it shall get there !

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 16:44   #11
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

It will be interesting to see if more members start showing an interest once we go to war.
Old July 7, 2002, 17:16   #12
disorganizer
Prince

The problem is that this thread looks pretty confusing. I was away 3 days, and due to the mass of new threads (3 pages) i almost quit reading them. This would also have made me one of those "non-voters".

To the war-part: We could also loose active citizens from a war. Especially if the war is started under special circumstances, for example there was no citizen-decission about it.

We will soon be able to aling our census statistics with the in-game events. Maybe we should see then which things in the game scare our citizens away or whether this is just a regular moovement, with always the same amount of active citizens in average.

The census week 27 for example shows that of 64 voting citizens, 20 dont post. It even shows we have some ppl just watching, but not participating at all.

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old July 7, 2002, 20:44   #13
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
It will be interesting to see if more members start showing an interest once we go to war.
Its not like the forum will start flashing bright colors to allert the common forum-goer that we are at war. Things will be the same among non-posters, I suspect.
Old July 8, 2002, 03:21   #14
disorganizer
Prince

i got another idea:
why not use a kind of "press-secretary" to put up weekly summaries on the apo-mainpage?

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old July 8, 2002, 14:41   #15
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Good idea. Though monthly reports might be better; one week isn't always eventful. Plus, we could also have election news in each report that way.

I just hope we get permission and this idea doesn't go the way of the subforums...