Old July 6, 2002, 22:33   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Post Case Pink/Teal
I've been thinking.

Basically, flat out, i'm a "worst case scenario" kind of guy, so let's pan out the wort case scenario.

first off, we dont know if the french / americans has writing, as we do not have alphabet and can only assume. so, worst case scenario, they both have writing.

we follow our plan, and we start smacknig one of the nearby AIs. they sign a military alliance against us, 2 front war we have to fight. they whore the techs and (worst case scenario again) america has horses and france has horses/iron. we start fighting a 2 front war with inferior weapons.

now, again, this is a worst case scenario, and probably wont happen. there probably wont be a military alliance (there rarely are this early), and nothing will become of our little military training.

but im just saying if we finish case pink and immediately go to pumping out temples and the like, we may be in for a rude awakening. we need not only a defensive garrsion, we need an "offensive defense" capable of hitting enemy units before they hit us.

also, i'd like to see a few extra units move to the front lines, as losses will be expected.

worst case scenario...
Old July 6, 2002, 22:40   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:55
I proposed that BanHQ, Red and Blue continue building troops after the initial force is complete. There will be losses, and we do need better garrisons.

I think we really do need to begin settling the lands around Apolyton, so I have mentioned switching it to settlers for 1 or 2 after the last archer is complete.
Old July 6, 2002, 22:47   #3
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 23:55
if this happens and they 'team up' on us (highly unlikely) we must take out one of them first, then concentrate on the other. it would only take 2 or 3 units to keep, say, the French, at bay, until we take out america...
Old July 6, 2002, 22:47   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Operation Eagle accounts for this fact rather well. Following the two-pronged offensive, we will acquire both Washington and New York within 3 turns maximum. This, in addition to the loss of over 60% of the American army will give us an incredible diplomatic advantage. We will be able to make peace with them very quickly, should the French interfere. Even if they refuse our envoy for the time being, the most productive half of the American nation will have already been captured. Once we've made peace with America, the reinforcements from our cities will set up an initial defensive perimeter within the Notylopa Jungle. The jungle will slow down any offensive to a crawl... even if they do have horsemen then we're safe for the time being. 1st Army will be able to reinforce our '3rd Army' guarding Apolytonia from within the jungle, while the 2nd Army can pivot around their line and destroy their initial attack force. From there, another plan can be created to deal with them.

Of course, the chances of us having to fall back to that plan will be highly unlikely, but as you said, we have to "hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

(By the way, I've renamed 'Red City' officially to 'Termina', since it's my city )
Old July 6, 2002, 23:11   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:55
When I see it on the map. The name that is. I'll never remember how to spell it in the meantime.
Old July 6, 2002, 23:17   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Go to the site, all the screenshots of the map that ya need.
Old July 7, 2002, 03:21   #7
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I agree with NYE :
Until the war is over, we must continue to churn out units from our barracks cities.
In the best case scenario (swift victory against the Americans), it will let us look at the French immediately.
Old July 7, 2002, 05:12   #8
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:55
It is always good to think of the worst case scenario, but we musn't dwell on it. Sure, we need to protect against the worst as best we can but that cannot stop us being confident and attacking with vigour. Thanks to UberKruX for taking time over this issue.
Old July 7, 2002, 08:23   #9
Lycastus
Settler

That's a valid point. Once we have worked out what must be done to protect against the worst case, we must make sure we don't become too cautious and potentially not reach our full potential. We need to take risks, but, as you say, it is a good idea to work out what totally 'safe' is, so we can know how far we can deviate from it to achieve our goals more quickly.
Old July 7, 2002, 17:49   #10
Robber Baron
Prince

Hear, hear. Remember, Case [Pink] is a desperate gambit to begin with. We have to take bold risks here. The altnerative is marginal status on the game map slow death. If Uber's nightmare materializes, we retreat to the jungle, build spear traps, and kiss our bananas goodbye.
Old July 7, 2002, 18:18   #11
jdd2007
NationStates
King

have some confidence in uber, RB. CP is not desperate. we will triumph!
Old July 7, 2002, 18:23   #12
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
have some confidence in uber, RB. CP is not desperate. we will triumph!
I have every confidence in Uber. We are in strong hands, no doubt. I just meant, on the surface of things, he's right in noting (even as we prepare to leap into the abyss and grasp for glory) that this has to be, essentially, a plan with no effective failsafe. If a couple of things go wrong, we're crippled. If a lot of things go wrong, they'll peel us like a ripe you-know-what.
But things will go well. Our resolve is firm, our troops will be fearsome, we will carry the day!!!
Old July 8, 2002, 18:09   #13
Lycastus
Settler

Exactly. We're not going to win any wars through cowardice. That's one of Uber's greatest strengths (and maybe weaknesses, but mostly strength). He's no coward.
Old July 8, 2002, 23:45   #14
Robber Baron
Prince

Revelations emerging on the gamemap during the last turn session make this thread worth revisiting. The Americans look vulnerable (no horses).
The French, on the other hand, have fairly easy access to iron (possibly multiple sources, though now just out of territorial range) AND horses. We might want to think twice about taking them on right after we thrash the Americans. Perhaps we should wait until we can field horsemen and have prepared a mounted strike force. Unless we wanted to hit Orleans, but that's a good ways off from where our archer force will end up.
(Back to Case Pink: it looks to me as though we should target Orleans when we do take on the French, assuming they have no other horse tiles. Nothing like taking on pedestrians from horseback )