Old November 16, 2000, 08:14   #1
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
re: 'Succession' Web Site
Friends, my humble apologies - I recently included a little gimmick called "Comet Cursor" on the front page of the Succession Web Site not realizing that it was more than it seemed (the company claim an impressive list of Corporate Clients - but that does not excuse my error) - fortunately johnmcd spotted the problem and brought it to my attention -
quote:

To: 'Scouse Git[1]'
Subject: Comet Cursor

Hi Mate

I was just looking at the web site and was a little unhappy to find it was trying to do an automatic install of Comet Cursor. I imagine you don't know some of this programmes hidden abilities if you put this on your site, but I can assure you it is an ugly little programme. Unless you are behind a solid firewall it will send back the URL of every click you make on the web, whether you think it is running or not, for the makers to sell for marketing purposes. It is one of the most insidious of all spyware programmes and I'd like to respectfully ask you dump it from the page. As the programme is uninstalable without some really brutal registry hacking I'd also recommend you post a link to OptOut which will break the programme for those who have already downloaded it, you too I'd imagine. As well as the rudeness of what it does it also uses a noticeable amount of bandwidth you may want back.
This is the URL to the OptOut site, though I'd recommend the whole thing to you. http://grc.com/optout.htm

I don't want to sound alarmist or anything but I thought you, and everyone else, might want to know.

Cheers

John

The offending beast has been removed from the Web-site - thank you John and my most humble apologies to you all - most particularly to any of you that chose to download it themselves. (simply does not say enough)

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 08:43   #2
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:47
Does this mean I accidentally voted for Buchanan?

I am a little concerned, though. How do I get rid of it? johnmcd mentioned the inability to uninstall it. Can't I just delete it?

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 09:05   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I got rid of mine by[list=1][*]using the control Panel Add/Remove programs applet to remove the visible traces, and then[*]using OptOut see link above (its free, very small and fast) to remove the hidden aspects[/list=a]It's a crying shame - the legitimate part of the program is really nice and useful - what a nasty little Trojan!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old November 16, 2000, 09:17   #4
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

Thanks Scousegents.

Kcbob- Doing the control panel thing will remove the cosmetic features of the programme but not the hidden features, as I understand it. For this OptOut really is best I believe. It will also seek out and destroy any other known spyware you may have inadvertantly installed. Popular programmes for the import of this are Gozilla and GetRight download managers, maybe Download accelerator too. OptOut disables the spyware aspect of these programmes only, though in some cases this will also prevent the full programme working (It breaks Gozilla, but not GetRight). For more details see the link in the Gits' post.
Old November 16, 2000, 09:45   #5
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:47
Now I'm confused. I've got a "thing" on my desktop that is labeled 'MyCometCursor'. I ran the Optout software and nothing turned up.

Oh, well.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 16, 2000, 15:56   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
I am thankful at times that the MAC OS is largely ignored
Old November 18, 2000, 10:07   #7
MacUser
Prince