Old July 13, 2002, 01:35   #31
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Nathan,

I agree that the goal in the Science trial is to become a research juggernaut, but I don't think that means overly limiting the rest of game play. We obviously don;t want the strategy to be limiting all other civs to 1 city, but I think disallowing intercontinental invasions is overdoing it. I've been struggling with this... any other ideas?

Re: Resource Poor, I was very tempted last night to jump into the July thread and ask if it would be OK to use that game for AU. I 'cheated' a little and read the spoilers, and it became clear that it wasn't quite a match.

BTW, if AU does get going, we will then have 3 concurrent group games... if it's OK with everyone involved, I'd like to somehow reduce that to 2. MY suggestion would be (hope no one is offended), the mini-tourneys go away, and we have the unoffical Aplyton tournament and the AU trials.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:17   #32
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

BTW, if AU does get going, we will then have 3 concurrent group games... if it's OK with everyone involved, I'd like to somehow reduce that to 2. MY suggestion would be (hope no one is offended), the mini-tourneys go away, and we have the unoffical Aplyton tournament and the AU trials.
We might also be able to find an AU game that could double as the main August tournament, which would further reduce the number of distinct games. My first thought is that the "Golden Age" game would be the best Monarch-level fit, or the "Naval Power" game if enough players feel ready for the jump to Emperor in the main tournament (and if AU players don't mind the extra restrictions that more general tourney players aren't subject to), largely because they are on standard maps.

By the way, I'm really not interested in a culture flipping game. It's hard to imagine being particularly successful in it without fairly frequent palace moves (at least compared with what someone who moves the palace a lot could accomplish), and the idea of moving my palace all the time just "doesn't feel right" to me.

Nathan
Old July 13, 2002, 12:47   #33
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

BTW, if AU does get going, we will then have 3 concurrent group games... if it's OK with everyone involved, I'd like to somehow reduce that to 2. MY suggestion would be (hope no one is offended), the mini-tourneys go away, and we have the unoffical Apolyton tournament and the AU trials.
Seems quite reasonable, since the mini-tourneys and the AU seem to have essentially the same goal, of everyone discussing the strategies involved in the game and comparing different approaches. (You can also do this in the tourney games of course, but they also have the competitive element). In practice the recent MT games seem to be selected because they pose (hopefully) interesting and unusual challenges, and MTiv seems to be exactly the kind of philosphy that the AU is meant to be - a (perhaps contrived) situation that is meant to test a certain aspect of your game play. So you could eqully well say that the MT series is renamed to being the AU games.
Old July 14, 2002, 05:28   #34
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
No complaint here. The last 2 minitourneys already were thematical ones. Both have the goal to learn and compare strategies rather than to compete. I think the Apolytonian University will be a good successor of the Minitourneys.
Old July 14, 2002, 13:22   #35
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Nathan, you bring up an interesting point re the culture trial. I hadn;t thought of using the Palace so aggressively... I don;t know if I'll do that, but I'd be interested to see someone do that. For instance, I can see an aggressive warmonger generating 'too many' GLs (which usually get thron into Armies or Factories), and choosing instead to repeatedly relocate the Palace (although maybe not... why wait for a flip when you can attack instead).

Anyway, I had envisioned the use of OTHER culture-generating buildings, and purposeful city placement.

If this trial, or any others, don;t make sense, PLEASE speak up.

SInce the July tournament was pretty similar to Exploration, does anyone have a preference for another theme for the first AU game?

Nathan votes for Golden Age or Naval Power... I think we should wait on the patch for Naval Power (no real reason), but I would back doing Golden Age.

In fact, if I don;t hear stong objection by tonight (I know, sort timeline, but...), I'm gonna go for it.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old July 14, 2002, 23:27   #36
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Nathan, you bring up an interesting point re the culture trial. I hadn;t thought of using the Palace so aggressively... I don;t know if I'll do that, but I'd be interested to see someone do that. For instance, I can see an aggressive warmonger generating 'too many' GLs (which usually get thron into Armies or Factories), and choosing instead to repeatedly relocate the Palace (although maybe not... why wait for a flip when you can attack instead).
I was under the impression that keeping the palace close to the cities you're trying to flip was a well-known standard strategy for a "How many cities can I flip?" game. And if the moves are relatively small, they can be done the "hard" way, although it does take a while. (I've never tried such a strategy myself, but I followed the idea in posts from others a few months ago.)

Quote:
Nathan votes for Golden Age or Naval Power... I think we should wait on the patch for Naval Power (no real reason), but I would back doing Golden Age.
What I was suggesting those two for is games that could potentially do double-duty as AU games and August tourney games, not as games to go for first. Indeed, doing one of those first would preclude using it for the August tourney later.

Nathan
Old July 14, 2002, 23:49   #37
nbarclay
Emperor

I've been playing the current CivFanatics Game of the Month for the last couple days, and it's a GOOD one. If anyone wants a nice Emperor-level challenge, I think it most certainly qualifies. (I hate to steal thunder from the AU series, but I also hate to see people miss an opportunity to learn just because it comes from elsewhere.) One warning: it's on a large map, albeit with a relatively small number of civs.

Below is the full description from the CivFanatics GOTM page:
  • · Civilization: Egyptians
    · Difficulty Level: Emperor
    · Map Size: Large
    · Land Form: Archipelago
    · Land mass: Normal (70% water)
    · Rivals: 6 Random Rivals
    · Climate: Wet
    · Temperature: Warm
    · Barbarians: Roaming
    · Other: Culturally linked starting positions off
Nathan
Old July 15, 2002, 01:07   #38
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:57
So do we use your settings for each challenge and start a game? Or do we download a save game file? If so, where is it?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 15, 2002, 03:01   #39
Harovan
staff

As Theseus said, all start from the same savegame. The plan was initially, to use a new mod for the games, the Apolyton mod, yet to create. But I'm afraid, if we do so, the AU start might be delayed for long.
Old July 15, 2002, 03:06   #40
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:57
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay

I was under the impression that keeping the palace close to the cities you're trying to flip was a well-known standard strategy for a "How many cities can I flip?" game.
Yup. It's actually pretty fun to watch the flips after moving your palace -- a dramatic palace relocation (from one end of an empire to another) can generate a cascade of 3 or 4 flips in little more than a dozen turns. Does require fairly frequent warmongering in order to move the palace (I haven't done it the hard way either).

Theseus - I suggest you simply post a game - the temptation will be too much and people will download and play regardless of any potential objections

Catt
Old July 15, 2002, 19:38   #41
Theseus
Emperor

OK, got it Nathan. Let's do Golden Age in August.

I select.... Crowding & War for the first AU trial!!!

(Should make people happy)

I'll generate the game and start a new thread for it.

Old July 21, 2002, 19:54   #42
Theseus
Emperor

The first AU trial, 101, obviates the need for what was originally listed as #10: Resources and Capitols.

I shoulda thought of that...

Anyway, we need something fun to do with Germany.

Any suggestions? Sir Ralph?

Old July 22, 2002, 05:58   #43
Harovan
staff

There are some interesting challenges left out.

1 - At a standard non-pangea map: Win the game by conquest without entering the industrial age. Note, the AI is allowed to enter it, but this makes your conquest harder, think of Cavalries vs. Riflemen or even Infantries. That would be a good challenge with the Germans.

2 - Win by conquest or domination without doing own research (slider always at 0%). Gold star - win without generating a single beaker (no scientist either) and without building the Great Library. This one could be challenging, because you'll never have a lead over the AI and will always fight with equal or even inferior units. Non-scientific civ, of course.

3 - (already described above) - Terrain development. Be the first civ with tanks. Gold Star for those who are the first civ entering the industrial age. Small, continents, 70% water, temperate, dry, young (3 bill years), Emperor, AI civs are America, China, Egypt, France and Persia. They are all industrious and have a big advantage on the rough map settings. Our civ: India
Old July 22, 2002, 08:19   #44
Theseus
Emperor

#2 is inspired.

Old July 22, 2002, 12:33   #45
W4r_Machine
Warlord

For number 2, I really hope the other civs are close so by the time the archers comes knocking down they wont be obsolete, and also Gold Star for those who build the most GW since you're not researching.

I would suggest a small map for this.

Number 1 is just a tamer version of number 2, but I'm interested to see how this would work. We stop researching just before we hit the Industrial Age and we refuse any trade deals envolving tech from that era. Is that how it would work or what?
have struck again
Old July 22, 2002, 13:29   #46
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by W4r_Machine
Number 1 is just a tamer version of number 2, but I'm interested to see how this would work. We stop researching just before we hit the Industrial Age and we refuse any trade deals envolving tech from that era. Is that how it would work or what?
Yes. You aren't allowed to enter the industrial age, but the AI is. Actually, this is about a conquest of your own continent with Archers, Swordsmen, Horsemen and Knights, and of the other continents with Knights and Cavalry. If you wait too long, the AI will have Riflemen or even Infantries, and your job gets harder and harder. It's for ultra-warmongers.
Old July 22, 2002, 13:34   #47
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 03:57
Just catching up on my reading here....agreed. Three concurrent games is prolly one too many. I'll finish up my work on MT V, and not take that series any further. But...I think we stand a good chance of sending the MT series off with a bang....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 22, 2002, 13:50   #48
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Yes. You aren't allowed to enter the industrial age, but the AI is. Actually, this is about a conquest of your own continent with Archers, Swordsmen, Horsemen and Knights, and of the other continents with Knights and Cavalry. If you wait too long, the AI will have Riflemen or even Infantries, and your job gets harder and harder. It's for ultra-warmongers.
Gotcha!

I'm gonna start practcing on a tiny Map to see how far I could go before crashing and burning

All AU games are on Emperor...yes?
have struck again
Old July 22, 2002, 13:59   #49
Harovan
staff

As far as I know, Monarch and Emperor are the AU difficulty levels.
Old August 6, 2002, 18:19   #50
Theseus
Emperor

AU 103
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Theseus asked my opinion for the next AU, and I'll tell you what I told him:

I want a low-landmass archipelago, w/less than max civs (standard/arch/80%, 5 rivals). I've been toying with those settings lately.

-Arrian
Which theme?

Do we dare play... ENGLISH??!!

8. Naval Power

Goal: Rule the seas. Must build AND use at least 1 of every naval unit until the win. Must build at least 10 Privateers. Gold star for innovative use of MoWs, subs, blockades & interdiction.

Settings: Standard, archipelago, 70% water, 7 civs, temperate, dry, restless, Emperor. All win types.

Civ: English

Notes: Hmmm, if you rule the seas, what does that mean for intercontinental invasions?

I'm fine with replacing the settings with Arrian's. I would also, in this case, suggest leaving cultural settings on.

Any takers?

Old August 6, 2002, 18:53   #51
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

*Nerd alexman can't wait for class to start*

I would suggest these opponents:

The French, to test the new Musketeer stats, and to make sure last game's dominance was not a fluke. See if you can invade these guys in the middle ages!

The Romans, to see if they manage to get any culture with the new build preferences, or if they melt away as usual.

The Greeks, who are the French of ancient times (difficult to invade).

The Babylonians. To get a religious opponent. Don't invade them unless you match their culture!
Old August 6, 2002, 19:16   #52
Theseus
Emperor

Interesting selections... need one more (Arrian said 5 rivals).

On another note, that will make 4 out of 6 civs commercial!

Old August 6, 2002, 20:09   #53
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Well lets make the last civ India then!

No, seriously, I thought commercial would be good for this map, since there will be more corruption (less civs = more cities per civ, and archipelago = more distance between cities).

I was joking about India - I had enough of Ghandi from last game. I can't think of a good reason to choose another civ. The Zulu perhaps? To see if just adding production without culture helps them at all.
Old August 6, 2002, 20:43   #54
Theseus
Emperor

Hmmm...

I'm looking less at the build pref. changes, and more at the UUs. You've got 3 strooong defenders... how about an attacker?

Persia?

Old August 6, 2002, 20:48   #55
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:57
Why not the Persians? Struggling against their immortals in a close start would be fun, especially if we play England.

Or, if you want a more peaceful civ, we could take on the Americans. Since they are exp. on an archipelago map, they will get to map making pretty fast and then swarm almost everywhere...

Your choice, I'll play either!!

--Kon--
Old August 6, 2002, 20:50   #56
Theseus
Emperor

Good point... we should have at least one expansionist civ given the map.

Old August 6, 2002, 20:52   #57
Theseus
Emperor

Actually, Zulu might be cool, although "Ah pity da poor fool" Impis who have to take on Rome and Greece.

Old August 7, 2002, 03:22   #58
Harovan
staff

An expansionist/militarist on an archipelago map? Are you kidding, Theseus? The Zulus would be absolutely doomed, as both traits are godawful bad on island maps.
Old August 7, 2002, 08:41   #59
Theseus
Emperor

Uh, sorry, don't know where my head was.

Old August 7, 2002, 09:29   #60
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The Americans, not the Zulu.

I shudder at the thought of playing the English. I know, I know, this is the type of map they were supposedly made for. But I've found that the French excel on archipelago maps. I just finished such a game (me France vs. England, India, Egypt, America, Persia).

But it's supposed to be hard, I guess. But if we're playing the English, I humbly request that we drop down to Monarch.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.