Old July 8, 2002, 15:12   #1
Tim_Hobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Late Industrial build que Wealth vs Dismissable units?
I don't know how to word a search for this, so will just pose the question, but first to setup the problem.

Normally, if I survive to the late industrial or eary modern age, my core cities run out of improvements to build. Now, if I am in a war there is no question, churn out the troops, but many times I am at peace. There are two options as I see it:

1) Set the build que to wealth or

2) Set it to an obsolete unit that can be build in 1 or 2 turns and then send the unit to a border town hurting from corruption, then dismiss the unit for about 1/4 the build shields. (if I remember right, 4 swordsmen will build a temple).

My question is, has anyone done the math to find out if it would be better to do wealth and hurry the improvement or build the units and dismiss them?
Old July 8, 2002, 15:45   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Facts:
  • Wealth gives one gold for every four shields (one every eight before economics).
  • Disbanding gives one shield for every four shields used to build the unit.
  • Hurrying the improvement costs four gold for every shield remaining (twice that if there are no shields already in the box)

So Wealth+hurry gives you 1 shield for every 16 (32 before economics). Disbanding gives you 1 shield for every 4. This doesn't take into acount any rounding.

Conclusion: never build Wealth.
Old July 8, 2002, 16:05   #3
Tim_Hobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Alex:

Thank you for the quick concise responce. I have been avoiding wealth, but it was only a gut feeling.

Tim