View Poll Results: How many Judges should we have?
1 0 0%
3 5 13.16%
5 28 73.68%
7 1 2.63%
9 1 2.63%
Some even number 0 0%
None!!! Muahahahaaaa!!!!! 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8, 2002, 19:06   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Apolytonian Court: Number of Judges
Unofficial (I'm going to compile all the results from the polls and combine them into an official amendment).

4 Days.

This isn't official, so just read the question, and it'll be obvious, I don't feel like explaining.
Old July 8, 2002, 19:15   #2
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:59
I guess we both say five.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 8, 2002, 19:17   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:59
5. Quorum of 3. Allows for absences due to the calling of the gods (life).

Side that the Senior judge votes on wins in ties. BTW, premature perhaps but, record of which judge voted which way (and why if he/she so wishes) should be made public.
Old July 8, 2002, 19:19   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

BTW. Quorum means that is the minimum number required to decide an issue. 3 or 4 or 5 (if all are around) can decide, but not 1 or 2.
Old July 8, 2002, 19:59   #5
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I say 5 judges but only 3 on any issue. There should be 2 alternates, that should only serve if one of the main 3 can not. These should also be defined as permanent alternates, that way we get the 3 main judges usually. I fear that if you get differnent judges too often, you'll have 2 main problems.
1) People waiting to file or bring an issue before the court again and again hoping to overturn a previous decision.
2) If the court overturns itself over and over.
The way I have it, we will have the same judiciary most of the whole term with very few exceptions.
Also may i suggest injunction power. Example a minister is talking about doing something that is questionable during the turn chat. A person could pm a judge and get him to issue an injuction until the situation can be discussed.
Old July 8, 2002, 20:02   #6
LordImpact
Warlord

5 judges. Three on a trial at a time. 1 senior judge who sits in on all trials. the other 4 rotate, just to mix it up a little.
Old July 8, 2002, 20:08   #7
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I say 5 judges but only 3 on any issue. There should be 2 alternates, that should only serve if one of the main 3 can not. These should also be defined as permanent alternates, that way we get the 3 main judges usually. I fear that if you get differnent judges too often, you'll have 2 main problems.
1) People waiting to file or bring an issue before the court again and again hoping to overturn a previous decision.
2) If the court overturns itself over and over.
The way I have it, we will have the same judiciary most of the whole term with very few exceptions.
Also may i suggest injunction power. Example a minister is talking about doing something that is questionable during the turn chat. A person could pm a judge and get him to issue an injuction until the situation can be discussed.
Oh, oh. These haven't come up before...

Is the court required to hear a complaint? Or can they say, go away... we decided that last week and not enough has changed to merit a new hearing. I think they must be able to reject complaints without hearing as baseless or capricious. Otherwise they could be over run with frivoloity.

Injunctions... do you mean that in some cases the entire game stops so they can decide if that declaration of war is constitutional? If that is the case, should the president have the absolute and unfettered right to continue with the game while not performing the injuncted action? ie, we can get on with it if the president feels the issue is not critical.
Old July 8, 2002, 22:29   #8
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I think the court shouldn't be required to hear a complaint. They should have to read through all complaints and think about them first though before throwing them out and they should have to provide a reason for throwing the complaint out.

Sell your photos
Old July 8, 2002, 22:30   #9
Sheik
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LordImpact
5 judges. Three on a trial at a time. 1 senior judge who sits in on all trials. the other 4 rotate, just to mix it up a little.
I like this idea. That way we don't have to worry about absence as much.

Sell your photos
Old July 8, 2002, 22:59   #10
Captain
King

5 judges.
Quorum of 3.

Presiding judges based on random selection from pool of available judges.

No permanent senior judge.
Temporary senior judge per case, by randomness or deference by the other 2 judges.

If caseload grows too much, add more judges to the pool.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 8, 2002, 23:02   #11
Robber Baron
Prince

Yeah, 5, with 3 making up a quorum.
(Is there an echo in here?)
Old July 8, 2002, 23:09   #12
LordImpact
Warlord

I liked the idea of a senior judge because there would always be one person who would lead the trial, summarize it in a thread, and make the poll. He would also keep any and all records of the trials for later review if necessary. If the senior judge was not available, he would appoint a temporary sustitute.
Old July 9, 2002, 00:19   #13
Sheik
King

I also like the idea of a senior judge. The Senior Judge wouldn't have any more power than any other judges but could also write a decision at the end of the case.

Sell your photos
Old July 9, 2002, 00:51   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Senior (or presiding) judge could be in rotation. 1 through 5 and then 1 through 5 again. In absenses, the next number comes up. They can draw lots for number, or go in order of joining the court.

There is no guarantee that a single senior judge would always be available.
Old July 9, 2002, 00:56   #15
LordImpact
Warlord

If the senior judge position lasted one month and then rotated I would agree to that.

--Impact
Old July 9, 2002, 01:01   #16
notyoueither
Deity

Unfortunately LordImpact, life intrudes sometimes. Say there is a death in the family, or a crisis at work...

A simple mechanism that provides for there always being a tie breaker in the case of 4 judges is all that is required.
Old July 9, 2002, 01:04   #17
LordImpact
Warlord

I petitioned for a single constant senior judge for the purpose of keeping records, posting polls, and making court reports. There would be some seniority in the court so when the senior judge is away his second would take over.

edit: But we can see what everyone else thinks. A position of court secretary could be created as an alternative

--Impact
Old July 9, 2002, 01:06   #18
notyoueither
Deity

Could revolve on the 1 through 5 basis for 1 month at a time, with the next number coming up in cases of absense, and the next... and at that point we lack a quorum.

That would be simple enough.
Old July 9, 2002, 01:10   #19
LordImpact
Warlord

That sounds reasonable to me.

--Impact
Old July 9, 2002, 10:11   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Since the senior judge has no power over the others, why couldn't the judges just name such a "senior" when they meet? That way, even if there were only three that were NOT expected to attend, there would still be such a record-keeper. Why even bother with an appointment to a "position" that has no extra power? Surely we can expect ANY judge to be responsible enough for such a task.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 9, 2002, 11:08   #21
Sheik
King

I like MrWhereItsAt's idea. I am sure the judges can act like adults and choose someone to run the trial. That way a judge could be absent for awhile and there would be no problem. Having five judges is a good idea that way two could be gone for awhile and we would still have three to cover for them.

Sell your photos
Old July 9, 2002, 11:52   #22
mtgillespie
Warlord

Local Time: 03:59
Why not just say 3 judges sit on each issue? Then you can adjust the total numbers without an amendment, you always have an odd number making decisions, and you always have cover if people are away. You can start with 5 total, for the first issue they deal with judges a,b and c sit, for the next it's d,e and a, and so on. If people aren't available, they just skip their turn. If the workload gets big, you can move to 6,7,8.....n in total. Hopefully, we won't need more than 5, but this way we won't need to predict numbers, or always have an odd number.
Old July 9, 2002, 12:04   #23
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I agree, mtgillespie. The only point of a "senior" judge is to be someone to fulfill the responsibilities of writing any reports for the people, posting polls and reporting to Ministers. All Judges are equal, just that one must perform these clerical duties.

Old July 9, 2002, 12:23   #24
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I'm not sure what kinds of disputes everyone is envisioning, but my guess is the court will not be all that busy. There are no criminal cases (unless someone is being impeached from office), there are no civil cases, the court is like the US Supreme Court, where they decide issues only on interpretation of the constituion. Or at least thats what I thought was being talked about. There should not be that many disputes of the constitution on there should not be that much impeachment, or did I miss something?

5 is a good number, three can decide an issue, but I think the 5 judges should work out their day to day handling of matters, i.e. what is a quorum, how many judges must decide a case, when they hear cases, how, etc.

Finally, one Chief Justice is necessary, to coordinate the hearings, call the court into session, receive copies of complaints. But, since no one is around all the time, he can appoint a back up, or something like that...But again, I think once the court is created they should hash out their rules. we want them to act as independently as possible.
Old July 9, 2002, 12:27   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

As with many of this game's amendments, it is just another check in the event of a worst case scenario.

Very likely never needed, but people think it is necessary, so we must implement it, but we don't need to overlegislate this soon-to-be-rarely-used addition.

Old July 9, 2002, 12:33   #26
LordImpact
Warlord

hmmm interesting idea jdjdjd. I kinda like it. Prehaps we should let the court decide on its own set up. They would certainly know what would work better than the general population.

--Impact