Old July 8, 2002, 22:22   #1
daveroswell
Settler

Local Time: 04:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
F.O.M.P. (fear of Multi Player)
I tend to be a "novice" gamer; I'm not nearly as avid a gamer as some, but when I start getting into a game I do have the urge to mult-play. My experience with multiplaying is that sometimes it is cliqeuish(sp.?) and a lot of the times guys are brutal with the newbies (which tends to be me. ) This forum has been the friendliest and most responsive to questions than any other game forum I've been in (kissy kissy ), so I hope PTW multiplay will be a pleasant change for myself and other "novices." Hopefully many tourneys, etc. will come out of PTW multiplay...

Any comment from anyone regarding the multiplay feature? (kinda anxious to play someone other than AI...)
Old July 8, 2002, 22:29   #2
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think the very nature of civ seperates it to a large degree from the dumb age of empires kids. So I, one who despises multi-player in most games for the same reasons you do, feel that Civ 3 MP should be a great thing
Old July 8, 2002, 22:36   #3
daveroswell
Settler

monkspider:

I have had negtive experiences with most MPing actually: Age of Empires(pretty much anything on MSN Gamezone), Acrophobia, Evercrack, etc...I guess what I'm saying to the civ3ers is..........

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!

Can't wait to get squished in Civ3(PTW) MP a coupl'a times and learn more about the game... now to just hope that PTW itself doesn't suck...
Old July 9, 2002, 06:17   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:00
I hope they include an option to see other peoples highscore, that way you can see what levels they usually play on. I'm playing most my games on regent, and therefore I guess it wont be that much fun to play against a person who's playing all games on deity...
Old July 9, 2002, 10:35   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

I play monarch/emperor, and I cant wait for MP
Old July 9, 2002, 10:58   #6
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 00:00
Anybody got a target to stick on me once MP comes? Honest to god I have trouble on WARLORD. So if any of you want an easy shot I'm your man.
Old July 9, 2002, 11:09   #7
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 05:00
When you've played civ3 so much, that you get used to the AI and doesn't even think about the logic. (you know the computer)

...Then you would easily get trapped in MP, facing unforeseen strategies. Then you develop new approches!
Works against someone, but not against others.
Oh, nice nice nice...
Old July 9, 2002, 11:22   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Civ 3 SP conditions players to a certain way, especially on higher difficulties... many of them will be surprised once PtW comes around...
Old July 9, 2002, 11:34   #9
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:00
Quote:
Originally posted by The Bloody Baro
Anybody got a target to stick on me once MP comes? Honest to god I have trouble on WARLORD. So if any of you want an easy shot I'm your man.
My experience with CTP MP is that you will learn quickly playing against other humans. There are always people around here that are willing to tell you their strategy during the game and I am sure that after a couple of MP games you beat emperor with ease.

By the way, I also did have some nasty experiences with CTP MP players but never with people that I meet here. So I always make MP appointsments via Apolyton. This guarantees me a nice game (at least nice opponents). Looking forward to meeting you all in the MP world.

I supposte we will find a way to rank people in rude categories so as to be able to play against people of comparable strength. At the other hand it is educational to be beaten severely and necessary to kick a*** the next game .
Old July 9, 2002, 12:29   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Franses

By the way, I also did have some nasty experiences with CTP MP players but never with people that I meet here. So I always make MP appointsments via Apolyton. This guarantees me a nice game (at least nice opponents). Looking forward to meeting you all in the MP world.

I never played any civ- mp before, will there be a special forum for this? ( especially to meet people who are looking for a game)
Old July 9, 2002, 12:46   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Correct Trip, MP will be a completely different game, especially with the modding i'm planning .

effecient use of paratroopers, bombers, artillery, and overall strategy will make the game a lot better.
Old July 9, 2002, 13:02   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Indeed, sounds like a fun game to play.
I want to see what options are available in the next patch first before I start any modding/scenario adventuring...

By the way, did you ever go to Firaxis?
Old July 9, 2002, 15:09   #13
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I kinda like it when people get nasty in MP games. Except when they win and they suck, but they had a better ally. That pisses me off. The funny thing about the time that happened though was that he was afraid to play us again. He knows we woulda screwed him up the second time.
Old July 9, 2002, 18:38   #14
daveroswell
Settler

Probably one of the most interesting aspects for me in MP will be trading. I'm sure you can't rape and pillage the human player as easily as you can the AI...
Old July 9, 2002, 21:28   #15
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

@ Monkspider: About the AoE Series, I'm in a AoE clan for the Zone..that's what the pDM is in my name..Planet Deathmatch. LOL I'm the oldest one there at 27, those kids are anywhere from 11-18. I haven't played that game in so long because I've been on a Civ kick. When MP comes, I myself am going to be brutalized

About MP generally: I think it's going to be a great thing, but as said, it all depends on if PtW sucks or not, and if they don't rush the production of it and it needs 5 or 6 patches. Hell..WC3 ALREADY has a patch. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure all of us here will meet up at one time or another
Old July 9, 2002, 23:20   #16
Jon Shafer

I think that this time they're going to work everything out perfectly before release, like they are with the editor. They aren't going to release early, or before things are the way they want them. After PtW, I doubt if we'll get any patches, certainly no more than one more, if that.