View Poll Results: Is this amendment fit for acceptance?
Yes 24 54.55%
No 20 45.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10, 2002, 15:57   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: Amendment III: Election Standards
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I voted no because I am not in favor of this part.

We do not need to impose term limits at this point in the game. No one player has yet to become a "career politician" and we may discover that we want to keep a particular minister beyond the 2 term limit due to his or her great talents and contributions to the Democracy.

--Togas
Unfortunately, nearly everyone will oppose this view, so I'm sorry, this part will probably never change.
I can see what you mean though, after 1 term in office, I'm pretty worn out on this, after a possible 2 and I'll probably toast.
Old July 10, 2002, 18:29   #32
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I voted no. I'm happy with everything, except the ministerial team.

I have no problem with the atmospheric position of historian being shared; in fact, now that the Tassadar/History Guy team seems almost assured, I wonder why it was ever made a single-person office in the first place. And I guess an extra VP would be okay, though I don't see the point. However, why have multiple people in other offices? One point of ministries is to break down the workload of decisions among many people; if we need teams for an office, isn't that a sign that it needs to be broken down into two positions, or that assistants are needed? The other point, as I see it, is to have someone who is the final word in every matter (though things do get blurry with foreign affairs); if you have two people in equal positions, authority becomes unclear.
Old July 10, 2002, 19:33   #33
Puupertti Ruma
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:00
For what it seems, this amendment should have been done in smaller parts, for most of the people agree in most of Trip's suggestion, and disagree with a single sentence.

I myself disagree with the ministry teams, and the term limits. Ministry teams hamper minitry's actions because of the authority reasons, and if someone is really that crazy to want to be in a ministry more than 2 terms, let them.

But still, even when I disagree with these things, I strongly believe that this amendment is well done and more than sufficient at the next elections.

And I am quite aware that my post will not affect any votes, cause it was sent so late. But I think I needed to say this.
Old July 10, 2002, 22:10   #34
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

It's an amendment. That means you should vote Yes, and so I'll vote Yes.
Old July 10, 2002, 22:19   #35
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
It's an amendment. That means you should vote Yes, and so I'll vote Yes.
Interesting reasoning.
Old July 10, 2002, 22:46   #36
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Better Reasonsing:
I like the more restricted term limits, and I certainly don't think that candidates will abuse the joint candidate provision. If I was to run for a minister slot, i wouldn't want five different people running with me at all. I also agree that each and every amendment shouldn't be scrutenized to the point of tears. If the American constitution guarantees freedom of speech without bantering on for a page and a half about it, then so can this constitution. And when that fails, courts can define and interpret it (i.e. No yelling fire in a crowded movie theatre)
Old July 10, 2002, 23:00   #37
LordImpact
Warlord

The US Constitution also has around 4,500 words excluding amendments. Apolytonia's Constitution on the other hand has roughly 2,000 words without amendments and is rather vague. These amendments that we are including would have been included in the body of the Constitution if this were a real government. Therefore, lengthy amendments are necessary. Also, there is no court to interprit the Constitution yet, so specifics are vital

--Impact
Old July 11, 2002, 00:25   #38
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Although I'm ticked with the "ministers decide who wins" thing, I voted YES, and I strongly urge to vote yes.
This amendment is well written, adresses in a clear way some issues (such as the confusing "terms in a row" issue).
While this amendment will have minimal political impact, it will have a great impact in organization, and it will let us be more organized when elections come.

Good work Trip
The ministers decide who wins is completely wrong.

I voted NO. This is well-written and we do need an amendment of this sort but for no it has to many ideas that I do not support. I urge everyone who has problems with this to vote NO. We can fix it then it can go up for another poll.

Spiffor you are right it will be good for organization but it is has enough problems to make me vote no.

Trip you have done good work and have been writing alot. Good work . However this amendment still needs fine tuning.

Sell your photos
Old July 11, 2002, 02:37   #39
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by LordImpact
The US Constitution also has around 4,500 words excluding amendments. Apolytonia's Constitution on the other hand has roughly 2,000 words without amendments and is rather vague. These amendments that we are including would have been included in the body of the Constitution if this were a real government. Therefore, lengthy amendments are necessary. Also, there is no court to interprit the Constitution yet, so specifics are vital
There are only a few differences between the real-life Constitution and our Constitution. Just some things regarding who can have firearms, who can vote, if you can own real slaves, etc.

Remind me not to write any more amendments. You guys are hopeless.
Old July 11, 2002, 07:10   #40
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

There are only a few differences between the real-life Constitution and our Constitution. Just some things regarding who can have firearms, who can vote, if you can own real slaves, etc.
Does this mean we don't get firearms?
Old July 11, 2002, 10:09   #41
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

We don't even have firearms.
Old July 11, 2002, 10:12   #42
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
Does this mean we don't get firearms?
It's not in the Constitution yet is it?

*Starts writing up an amendment*

I'll take away all your freedom yet!
Old July 11, 2002, 10:18   #43
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I voted NO.

There is no need for joint ministers. It'd probably cause chaos.

I also see no need to lower term limits.
Old July 11, 2002, 10:29   #44
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 04:00
I will vote no simply because I see no reason for minister positions to be co-hosted, so to speak. It will only allow the possibility of discord in departments, isn´t it enough that they will get to have aide´s to help them. I´m also against the amendment that proposes that ministers get to choose which runner-up gets to be elected, there should simply be a new poll. Besides if the minister would get to choose, what set of ministers would it be: the ones that just got choosen or the ones that just formed the last government.
Old July 11, 2002, 10:30   #45
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
I also see no need to lower term limits.
What's that?
Old July 11, 2002, 10:39   #46
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:00
Quote:
A person may run for only one office per election. One may only hold a particular office twice in a row. There are no limits beyond this regarding reelection for either that office, or any other.
I suppose it's been the needed 3 weeks for a repoll on term limits, and I think they should exist, but I don't think we should include them in hte amendment. Also, I think you should be able to run for more than one position.

THere should also be a section in this amendment that covers what happens if there's only 1 candidate.

In sum, I voted NO

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 13, 2002, 05:10   #47
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 20:00
Eh, disagree.
I disagree with the issue of term limits. The ultimate term limit is the voters themselves. If they are honestly sick and tired of a career politician, then they will make it known. I think it ultimately hurts if we have a great candidate who can only run two terms.

Trips has said that the majority of people approve of term limits, which is probably true, but I find this an interesting logic. Like I said, they are the ultimate delegator of term limits, why should this be in the constitution. If you are tired of someone, vote them out of office.

Also, multiple people running as a team for one office seems to be a flaky idea as well. I'm not sure what the logic behind this is. This amendment should probably be rewritten.