Old July 9, 2002, 21:58   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Jungle Gazette: proposal to increase member activity.
I submit that although many are interested in our game, they have found it too difficult to keep up and follow the game, and therefore left.

The Jungle Gazette is our chance to change that. While a weekly paper currently, I have plans that will make at least the news portion by-weekly, to be sure to include ALL major discussions and polls.

I propose, and will need massive assistance in pulling this off, Messaging a link to the first issue, along with a statement that I will pen, and a means to subscribe to EVERYONE who has signed in on the "welcome and join" thread. This will, hopefully, bring in people who cannot keep up on their own, but would when presented with organized information.

What say you fellow citizens?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 9, 2002, 23:55   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You are on to a good thing. Better luck to you than your predecessors enjoyed.

I heard Siro went down to a troop of berzerker monkeys while scouting for a banana special.

Rumours are that MoralHazard contracted leprosy while on a trip into the jungle. He lives in seclusion now.
Old July 10, 2002, 00:15   #3
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 20:03
An excellent idea. Assimilating information is difficult at the moment, and such an idea has merit in improving the situation. You should bring that up with the prez.
Old July 10, 2002, 00:32   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What does the government have to do with a free press?
Old July 10, 2002, 02:01   #5
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 12:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey UnOrthOdOx, I've just created a newspaper, but I'm no journalist, but I was wondering if you'd like me to help you out in the graphical area?

I'm not sure how you want to make the newspapers but I've made the newspaper in html format and I think it would be a good idea to send these newspapers once or twice a week via ppl's email and have it on the official website.

Let me know if you are interested in me helping you out.

Here's the newspaper: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/iceda...per/July10.htm
Old July 10, 2002, 02:02   #6
FrostyBoy
Emperor

oh btw, everything written in there isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's just purely for example.
Old July 10, 2002, 02:36   #7
notyoueither
Deity

That's too cool Sn00p dog.
Old July 10, 2002, 02:48   #8
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Could the Hawk party put adds in the paper?
Old July 10, 2002, 03:20   #9
FrostyBoy
Emperor

COOL IDEA Duddha
Old July 10, 2002, 06:18   #10
Will 5001
Warlord

Local Time: 04:03
Good idea its true that many have lost interest, I am sure this will generate added member activity as long as it is in an accesible place. (maybe members could add a link to their signature?, to make the newspaper almost impossible to miss!!)
Old July 10, 2002, 06:21   #11
Will 5001
Warlord

Local Time: 04:03
Oh and I just had a look in at Sn00py's newspaper, that great work, we really need these newspapers!!!
Old July 10, 2002, 06:26   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:03
Great work, with that news paper...
Old July 10, 2002, 07:12   #13
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Um, Sn00py, that is great! I have NO knowledge of html, however. Mine will be a thread here with a compilation of links. Read this thread to see my format. If you want to take that info and turn it into something like that, I would love it! You would likely need several pages, however. I could send you things via wordpad, or word if that would help...Im not a internet person, just databases...

Duddha, you will see that there is a section on party politics where all parties will be asked a question and be able to respond. If a party wants more, it will come at the end somewhere in the letters to te editor section. Perhaps have someone write why they love the Hawks? Don't know about adds at the moment.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 10, 2002, 14:49   #14
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Do you have ICQ UnOthOdOx? We would work much better through it.
Old July 10, 2002, 15:00   #15
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Bleh. I don't here at work. I could put it on at home again, if someone will teach me how to filter all the...garbage...out that I was getting. I will DL it tonight and perhaps you can show me how to use it...

As I said, my computer expertise is in the systems here at work...(and most are old...)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; July 10, 2002 at 15:30.
Old July 10, 2002, 15:29   #16
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Okay no problem, what about email then?

I don't know how you want to go about creating the newspapers, do you want me to place all the news in with appropriate images, or do you want to do that and I'll just send you the images?

If you want me to do it, all you need to do is send me a word file (any format will do, I can open any format.) of the news, also saying which is most important (what is the top headline news), and what is least important, etc. Once it's done, I'll send it to you so that you check on it and then release it.

And for people who want to put ads in, I will need to give you size dimensions so that you can create your own ads to put in.

my email address is icedan@clear.net.nz

Last edited by FrostyBoy; July 10, 2002 at 15:35.
Old July 10, 2002, 15:41   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Heh, My home computer does not have much storage for images.(OLD PII 400...) If you really want to do this, I will send you the info. I was only going to be doing it in threads. Right now, it is all in 'my notepad' so I can just cut and paste. It is going to be at least once/week, and more likely twice, however. If you have time and inclination, I would love to learn to create those webpages. The first edition won't be ready till Saturday morning, after I gather links to all the election polls. I can send you the info then.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 10, 2002, 16:19   #18
FrostyBoy
Emperor

up to you man

I have the time and inclination but teaching you how to create the webpage might get tricky. Personally I think this is a two man job anyway.

It's totally up to you, a newspaper is only a newspaper when it has good writing, and I'm no good at that. I'm really here just to spice it up. If you feel that this is getting too complicated, then let me know. But here are my suggestions:

Subscriptions:
For those who can support html format in their emails can sign up for that.
For those who can't, can sign up for the text version, (no images).
For those who don't want it via email but prefer a website, can let us know who they are.
And for those who prefer it in text in threads (no images), can let us know who they are.

For those who want it in an email, I can easily keep a record of their emails and send the html one to the html subscribers and email the text one to the text subscribers.

Web and threads are self explanitory.

Of course, all of this may depend on how many subscribers there are for each one. eg. no point doing a web one when only one person subsribes for it.

===

For Text, all you'd need to do UnOthOdOx, is send me a text file structured similar to this:

Date: 10 July 1000 B.C. (Day and Month is the same as ours, but year is the same as the year the last game ended on).

1. Top Headline: Are Monkeys good for pets?
2. Subheadline: >lots of monkey owners are getting attacked, but is it the monkeys fault or the owners?
3. Text body: all the blah blah on this topic.

New Topic:
1. New Headline, important but not that important: Love Banana's?
2. Body of text: blah blah blah

And all other topics will be as important as each other but not as important as the top two. The very top one will be the most important, having the largest font for the topic name. (Just like on the newspaper I made).

Polls I can make graphical, so I'll need all the stats on them.

And everything else (images, ads) should all be easy for me to handle.

So if you're happy with that, let me know and we'll get to work.
Old July 10, 2002, 16:31   #19
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Sounds good, On linking: I was going to link to the polls before they closed, you just need the http address, correct?

Right now, there are 21 subscribers, and the thread has not been up for day. I will message each of them and find out how they want their issue, then update the thread to include options.

I will get to work on a test format tonight so you can start working on putting it together. I still have several articles that need input from outside, though. I will get you what I have.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 10, 2002, 16:34   #20
FrostyBoy
Emperor

cool no problem

and yeah all I need is the url
Old July 10, 2002, 16:55   #21
Trevman
Warlord

This has been done before but the editors seem to grow uninterested after an issue or two and the paper gets discontinued.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old July 10, 2002, 17:07   #22
FrostyBoy
Emperor

That's probably caused by lack of interest from the public and that's why I hope to keep people interested by creating some actual newspaper flavour, like ads, pictures, funny bits, etc.

We'll see how it goes.

[election ad] Who wants a minister who actually does things? Vote me for Foreign Advisor. [election ad]
Old July 10, 2002, 17:12   #23
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

"editors grow bored..."

In all honesty, there was not alot to report back then. I can ensure you that as long as people remain interested, I will continue my work here. I know I have alot of ideas, and look forward to working with Sn00py to bring a visual flavor as well. So far, public response has been far above my expectations as well.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby