View Poll Results: What do you think about the Huns ?
Yes, we need them. A great scientific nation. 4 20.00%
In expansion pack maybe, with 20 other great nations... 5 25.00%
Be satisfied as a barbarian! 9 45.00%
We don't need them. Anyway, Attila was a slovak... 2 10.00%
Where is Hungary? 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10, 2002, 07:58   #1
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 05:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Huns
I am a proud Hun / Hungarian and I am quite sad, because our nation is represented as a barbarian horde.

- Hungary was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and was very powerful in Central Europe.

- Hungarians were figthing against the Turks for centuries defending the western civilizations and helping the balkanese people.

- The biggest density of the Nobel-pries keepers in the world is in Hungary ( Pop divided by the number of Nobel prises)

- Ever heard about Attila the Hun?

What do you think?

Last edited by cumi; July 10, 2002 at 08:06.
Old July 11, 2002, 14:10   #2
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
We've discussed having the Hungarians or Huns in an ExtraPack (which apparently is dead ), but they didn't make it in the top 16. The Hungarians were much closer to it though.
I wouldn't say that the Hungarians are represented as Barbarians. I actually don't believe in the identity of Huns and Hungarians, as you call yourself Magyars. The name "Hungarians" was given by other peoples who simply called every horsemen-tribe from Asia "Huns".

Quote:
- The biggest density of the Nobel-pries keepers in the world is in Hungary ( Pop divided by the number of Nobel prises)
Hey, that's what we Austrians claim about us!
Old July 11, 2002, 15:36   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quite, we call the Germans Huns too.
Old July 12, 2002, 11:26   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Quite, we call the Germans Huns too.
In America, we call our significant others Huns.

"Hun, what's for dinner?"
Old July 12, 2002, 12:59   #5
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 00:04
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

In America, we call our significant others Huns.

"Hun, what's for dinner?"

On topic:
It's a little late for Firaxis to turn around and add a civ in PTW, so if you want to add them, add them yourself.
Old July 12, 2002, 15:52   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

If you add them yourself you probably use elements from the upcoming Mongol and European civs to make a nice blend.
Old July 12, 2002, 19:05   #7
yellfromhell
Warlord

Local Time: 04:04
Hi, in Uruguay (and all the spanish speaking nations) "Hun" is "Huno", word that sounds the same as "Uno" (that means 'One'). We commonly call "Atila" to desastrous students, those who deserve the title as 'king of the ones'.
But talking seriously, yes: austro-huungarian empire should be in a Civ extra-pack.
Old July 16, 2002, 06:15   #8
eric789
Chieftain

Quote:
The Huns, or Mongols, were a Turkish-speaking nomadic people who lived in the steppes to the north of China. The first great ruler of the Huns was Mao-tun (234 - 174 B.C.) who united the Huns in central Asia in a large military confederation that stretched as far as Turkestan.
Five hundred years later, around A.D. 350, a similar confederation formed in Mongolia, which the Chinese called Juan-juan. At its height this war confederation exerted authority from Manchuria to Lake Balkash. Whole tribes fled before their assault, among them a group which became known in European history as the Huns. The Huns moved across the sparse steppe lands of Russia and then attacked the Gothic Black Sea empire. Terrified, the Gothic peoples fled westwards into Roman territory.

Towards the end of the fifth century, another group of Huns, called the 'White Huns' stormed into India, where they destroyed the Gupta empire which brought the golden Age of Hindu civilization to an end.

The Juan-juan empire, in turn, was destroyed by Chinese armies cooperating with Turks (552) who promptly set up their own steppe empire. The Juan-juan fled westwards across the Russian steppes to the west of the Turkish Khazars, where they became known as the Avars.
Old July 16, 2002, 06:37   #9
eric789
Chieftain

a visual aid for the quote I wrote above
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbarian1.gif
Views:	159
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	19683  

Last edited by eric789; July 16, 2002 at 11:14.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:35   #10
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 23:04
Cumi, I voted for the Huns to be included. I think that despite the fact that they would probably be represented by Atila and put that time period at its height, I also believe that modern Hungarian contributions to science and the arts should be taken highly into consideration. Also, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, one of the greatest empires in European history, was partly Hungarian, too. It will probably be one of those civs that develops along the way and shines at certain moments. Sir Edgar
Old July 26, 2002, 12:19   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

The "Be satisfied as a barbarian!" choice appears to be ahead....
Old July 28, 2002, 21:36   #12
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 06:04
Aren't "Huns" and "Hungarians" two completely separate peoples?
As Eric pointed out...
Old July 29, 2002, 23:23   #13
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

The Huns? In Civ3? Nah! That's almost as silly as sticking in, say, the Mongols...oh...wait...
Old September 3, 2002, 19:13   #14
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 20:04
Well in all fairness, I think the Hun tribe would be more worthy to include than the pagan Magyars or christenized Hungarians, just because of their military achievement. Hell, if the Vikings and Mongols are of note, then so are the Huns. They toppled China and Rome. The pagan Magyars were fierce warriors as well and for the most part successful, but not as far reaching as the Huns. I think Christianized Hungary can only be considered a super power during the Hunyadi years, but that is only in comparison to the rest of Europe (which wasn't that dominant in the 15th century) and it lastly a relatively brief period of time in history, only a few decades.

However, the inclusion of any of the 3 above would ensure my purchase of the game and expansion pack.
Old September 8, 2002, 08:11   #15
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:04
the Huns didn't topple China. The Han (nationality) chinese beat the Hun tribes, and made them go west .

eric789: cool map. where can I get those on the web ?
Old September 24, 2002, 07:19   #16
Beren
Warlord

Hungarians are Magyars, not Huns. They speak an ancient European language, in not any way related to the people of Central Asia that took over all our languages (Indo-European languages.)
Huns and Hungarians have nothing in common. I don't know where the name Hungarians come from, but if it comes from the Huns, it was a huge error.
Old September 24, 2002, 08:45   #17
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I seem to recall some programme saying various Europeans thought they fought like Huns, and so were called Huns.

Not definitive as I can't remember anything else on that subject.
Old October 1, 2002, 07:50   #18
Beren
Warlord

Besides, Atilla is a bit overrated. He was good, but he didn't go all the way... Strangely enough, everybody seems to recall Atilla and almost nobody recalls Alarik and Geiserik who did go all the way.