Old July 12, 2002, 21:38   #61
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It also has to do with culture.

There were always guns in our house (30-06, 22 rifle, 12 gauge, and .410/22 rifle combo) that all 3 boys in the house learned to use.
But i don't have one now and don't plan on getting one. And it never entered my mind (or my brothers, i'm certain of it) to use them for any other purpose than hunting.
Old July 12, 2002, 21:42   #62
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 22:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Its mainly selfish gun owners who hold the whole U.S. community to ransom.
if we wanted different laws we would vote them in

Jon Miller
Old July 12, 2002, 21:52   #63
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think you'll find that those states with gun control and high murder rates had the high murder rates before gun controls went into effect.

Personally I think it's the cowboy culture, the idea that a handgun is an "equalizer". Unfortunately we often seem to be a "chip on the shoulder" culture. It's like if someone else isn't to blame for your problems you must be stupid.
Old July 12, 2002, 21:53   #64
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 06:07
I know a solution to that: more mineshafts.

(yes, you will be reduced to that movie by me for the rest of your time)
Old July 12, 2002, 21:56   #65
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Canada and the US aren't very different culturally, or societally. If anything, we've got more diversity, which is a horrible thing in the US?
Canada has become a haven for at least one brand of violent criminals, the Hell's Angels. Their headquarters is now in Vancouver. Why that is is very simple. In order to extradite someone forom Canada all witnesses have to be identified at the hearing. The Hell's Angels organization then executes the witnesses. Canada helps them stay out of jail.
Old July 12, 2002, 21:58   #66
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I thought the Hell's Angels are mostly a Quebec thing.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:04   #67
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinapus

More like they are your scapegoat.

But then, it's oh-so-easy to pick a group of people to blame and take steps against them, isn't it?
LOL, the victimised gun owners

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old July 12, 2002, 22:07   #68
Richelieu
King

The Hells are big in Quebec but it looks like the SQ is finally doing something about it. They've arrested and convicted their leader for organizing the murders of 2 prison guards.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:13   #69
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Gun control doesn't mean you can't have guns. We have very tight laws now I could still go out, get a licence, and buy a hunting rifle or shot gun today.

If I had a need for a gun I would buy one, by a need I mean hunting or if I owned a farm.

Old July 12, 2002, 22:18   #70
Richelieu
King

Quote:
We have very tight laws now I could still go out, get a licence, and buy a hunting rifle or shot gun today.
No background checks ?
Old July 12, 2002, 22:25   #71
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Richelieu

No background checks ?
You can't get a firearm licence if you have a criminal record, unless you go to court and show cause, or if you have been banned from owning a firearm.

Old July 12, 2002, 22:53   #72
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:

LOL, the victimised gun owners
Well, how would you feel if you were constantly blamed for the acts of criminals when you have in fact not harmed anyone? That sounds pretty victimized to me.

But it's okay so long as it's a group of people you don't like, right?

Oh, and you can get a rifle if you bow and scrape before your masters. How nice.
Old July 12, 2002, 23:29   #73
MOBIUS
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
You're telling me that, in all of Australia, there isn't a place where it is dangerous to go?
I think that says more about you than me...

OK, so I'm new to Sydney only having been here for a couple of months, but I will tell you this - in all of the inner cities areas (say within 10kms of the centre), I can think of only one remotely dangerous area and that is an area called Redfern, which has a large number of Aboriginal housing projects.

In ALL my day to day travels all over the city in the last two months, I have had only one threatening experience on Cathedral St in Woolloomooloo where I was accosted by a pushy homeless person, while there were other homeless people about. I walked past, that was it.

As for Redfern, I have zero need to go there, I just go through it by train sometimes...

Also, I imagine that Redfern has a similar rep to say Brixton or Peckham in London. They are perfectly safe during the day - they just have bad reps, that's all...

What I'm talking about is walking around the city centre of say New York, Washington, New Orleans, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Los Angeles etc, etc, and know for a fact that there are whole districts, or streets that are very dangerous or threatening even during the day...

That is F*cked up and I can't believe Americans put up with that!

Quote:
I've been given reliable info that the correct figure for Australia is closer to 100 000...
That was just their ancestors...
Old July 12, 2002, 23:32   #74
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I've been to downtown San Francisco dozens of time during the day and have never felt threatened.

Oakland, however, is just scary.
Old July 12, 2002, 23:45   #75
MOBIUS
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I've been to downtown San Francisco dozens of time during the day and have never felt threatened.
There's this bit at the bottom of Powell st (?) where the Cable car ends on that big long road I can't remember the name of, by the metro... There are homeless crackheads all through that area and the civic centre - they have a certain wildness in their eyes. when they confront you for money by blocking your way and asking in a threatening manner, you just don't what they might do. When you don't give them anything they usually swear at you.

When we were by the civic centre, just down from where I mentioned an elderly couple weren't so lucky as this guy started screaming at them and looked like he was going to attack them. Fortunately a Police Officer was nearby and came over...
Old July 12, 2002, 23:56   #76
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS

I think that says more about you than me...

OK, so I'm new to Sydney only having been here for a couple of months, but I will tell you this - in all of the inner cities areas (say within 10kms of the centre), I can think of only one remotely dangerous area and that is an area called Redfern, which has a large number of Aboriginal housing projects.

In ALL my day to day travels all over the city in the last two months, I have had only one threatening experience on Cathedral St in Woolloomooloo where I was accosted by a pushy homeless person, while there were other homeless people about. I walked past, that was it.

As for Redfern, I have zero need to go there, I just go through it by train sometimes...

Also, I imagine that Redfern has a similar rep to say Brixton or Peckham in London. They are perfectly safe during the day - they just have bad reps, that's all...

What I'm talking about is walking around the city centre of say New York, Washington, New Orleans, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Los Angeles etc, etc, and know for a fact that there are whole districts, or streets that are very dangerous or threatening even during the day...

That is F*cked up and I can't believe Americans put up with that!

That was just their ancestors...
I have walked in the city center of Chicago from 4-8 am and been perfectly fine (I was interested in sleeping)

Jon Miller