Old July 11, 2002, 14:56   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CB Mod Spoilers and Help
'k...first, a disclaimer...don't read it unless you really wanna know!

If you're having trouble getting started, here are some things I discovered, and recommend:

1) Make extensive use of Mercs in the early game. Yeah, they suck, but they don't cost pop points! They are all terrain as roads, and can go forth and uncover the map like nobody's business in sufficient number. Good unit for that.

2) If you're playing Fury (default human player), recommend you build a barracks ASAP, and get a pair of veteran Saddlemen to go with the one you start the game with, and burn a leader to form up an army. Not only will you be able to take an offensive stance against any faction that causes you trouble, but you'll also be able to use that army to stop the Nilrogg from raiding your treasury!

3) Basic Bresearch first!!!! You already have a mounted unit, so can afford to wait till you're building libraries to go a bit up the combat tech tree!

4) Before you add too much to your holdings via conquest, strongly consider getting the level one espionage tech. The espionage branch tree is great cos most of the improvements you get via that branch are cheap, including the Tavern, which has the same happiness effect as a Temple. Highly recommended!

5) Until you get your defenses up, don't get too rowdy with your neighbors.....This probably means waiting till you get to Defensive Tactics, and can start building better defenders. The ATV aspects of Mercs and Runners make them really hard to defend against.

6) If you see Nilrogg heading toward your cities before you get Defensive tactics (and you prolly will), run, or try to beat them with Mercs to preserve your pop-point costing units. An Elite Saddleman can MAYBE take a Nilrogg by himself, but if you want to be sure, have 2-3 at the ready.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 18, 2002, 08:25   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
Wait wait Vel, I must have missed something... the game isn't yet available, is it?
Old July 18, 2002, 08:37   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Ah, that's for the Civ 3 mod... nevermind.
Old July 18, 2002, 09:06   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Yeah...but I can hardly wait to start writing the strat and help sections for the real CB!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 18, 2002, 09:47   #5
Solver
lifer
Deity

I can hardly wait to read & play .
Old July 19, 2002, 07:34   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:08
Any progress on the mod? I held off d/ling it since it seemed real raw over in the proper thread, but I'd be happy to tell you just how crappy it is if you provide one nice package with everything you need to d/l and a nice install readme file
Old July 19, 2002, 08:16   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

We were waiting for the patch so we could place cities and units properly.

Things will move faster now.
Old July 19, 2002, 10:45   #8
Velociryx
staff

Yep....now that I more-or-less know what I'm doing in the editor, it should be no sweat to re-create the work done on the mod, and do it so that everybody can get it to work without beating it half to death!

Plus, the minimap will be a huge help wrt to actually drawing the map! And that whole placing cities thing....SWEET! Gonna get started on it this weekend!

-=Vel=-
Old July 19, 2002, 23:14   #9
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Looking forward to an actual look. Please keep us informed Vel.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter