Old July 11, 2002, 17:55   #1
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
single unit combat
Hello all CTP2'ers. I've been using Cradle Ultra-giga Giganto maps mod (I'm paraphrasing of course) and loving it. It's ten times better than Civ III and as Homer once said "It could be bigger than one hundred Superbowls!"

One question though, is there any way to turn off the "battle field" pop-up for single-unit combat? It's not that big a deal, but it slows things down when you are exploring with an expendable javelin cavalry and have to do some clicking just to watch him die under a rain of barbarians.

For Armies I love the battle field.
Old July 12, 2002, 11:10   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 06:08
I only know that it is possible to disable the battle field entirely, but for a single unit battle, I don't know but I think this is not possible.

-Martin
Old July 12, 2002, 13:37   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I second that. You can turn off the battlescreen altogether and you can turn it off when defenseless units are being attacked (settlers and stuff) but AFAIK you can't turn it off for single-unit battles only...
Old July 13, 2002, 12:59   #4
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
That's wierd - in CTP1 it was tough to turn it on for such battles...
Old July 13, 2002, 14:16   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The real question is why would you want to? The game would degenerate into a civ3 style click, click, click, click, click....etc.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 13, 2002, 20:24   #6
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 23:08
ahenobarb,

Glad you are enjoying Cradle. I do not know how to turn off the single-unit battles though - its either all or nothing.

Slightly off topic...
Since you are using the Ultra-Gigantic setup in Cradle, have you had any problems with game crashes and saving your games? The reason why I'm asking is that there have been reports of such things in the Ultra-Gigantic setup (but not in any of the other setups). This is just to let you know that this problem does exist, and as yet, has not been resolved.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old July 15, 2002, 13:10   #7
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
ahenobarb,

Glad you are enjoying Cradle. I do not know how to turn off the single-unit battles though - its either all or nothing.

Slightly off topic...
Since you are using the Ultra-Gigantic setup in Cradle, have you had any problems with game crashes and saving your games? The reason why I'm asking is that there have been reports of such things in the Ultra-Gigantic setup (but not in any of the other setups). This is just to let you know that this problem does exist, and as yet, has not been resolved.
I guess I will just learn to live with the battle animations for non-army combat.

Hexagonian, no problems with crashes and I have saved after play and started again the next day with no trouble (There are about 7 save files I've loaded so far). I'll let you know if I run into trouble.

One question though, my cities are not growing past 12 and I cannot buold aqueducts because I built a WoW (I forget which one -- Temple of zeus) that gives you aqueducts in your cities. I haven't seen them there and I can't build them. Any ideas? I'm ranked #1, but the other guys have sixe 21 cities.
Old July 15, 2002, 13:51   #8
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 23:08
The city growth buildings in Cradle that increase the cap are different from the default game (spelled out in the main Cradle readme file)

The buildings are
Apothecary
Physician
Bath House
Drug Store
Hospital

Aqueducts are the same as Granaries in that they merely increase the food produced.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old July 15, 2002, 16:00   #9
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
The city growth buildings in Cradle that increase the cap are different from the default game (spelled out in the main Cradle readme file)

The buildings are
Apothecary
Physician
Bath House
Drug Store
Hospital

Aqueducts are the same as Granaries in that they merely increase the food produced.
Well, that's my problem then. I've just started and apothecary building program in my civ and haven't seen the effects yet.
Old July 17, 2002, 10:49   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 05:08

In userprofile.txt, there are two lines:
Code:
ShowZoomedCombat=Yes
ZoomedCombatAlways=Yes
They are not next to teach other in the file, but you can find them easily enough.
try setting the bottom of the two to:
Code:
ZoomedCombatAlways=No
This might (untried, untested) achieve the effect as in CtP1 of only showing battles with > 1 unit involved.
Old July 17, 2002, 12:07   #11
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

In userprofile.txt, there are two lines:
Code:
ShowZoomedCombat=Yes
ZoomedCombatAlways=Yes
They are not next to teach other in the file, but you can find them easily enough.
try setting the bottom of the two to:
Code:
ZoomedCombatAlways=No
This might (untried, untested) achieve the effect as in CtP1 of only showing battles with > 1 unit involved.
Great tip, I'll try it and let you know if it works.
Old July 17, 2002, 14:43   #12
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

No, I'm fairly certain that doesn't work. I think that determines whether or not battles against Civilians get displayed or not. But I'm not 100% sure, so feel free to try...
Old July 18, 2002, 17:06   #13
ahenobarb
Prince

Well I wanted to try IW's suggestion, but when I opened my userprofile.txt, ZoomedCombatAlways was already set to 'No'. I guess this doesn't do it. No big deal, I'm getting used to it.