Old July 11, 2002, 20:07   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For Warmongers: ever take an "intermission" for fun?
Say when you have conquered a huge continent. Become all powerful and the rest of the world is hopelessly behind.

Instead of upgrading all your knights once you get cavalry and conquering the rest of the world. Hold off and build some, go to democracy and wait until you get tanks for fun. Just to build up your mighty empire and see it flourish.

I dunno if this really hurts your score than maybe you should just conquer as quick as you can and finish everything off in the middle ages and restart a new game.

So basically do you try to conquer the world as soon as possible or sometimes wait and take an "Intermission" then once you get to late industrial/or modern finish the moping up operation.

edit: or maybe I should just move up to emperor from monarch.

Last edited by Artifex; July 11, 2002 at 20:28.
Old July 11, 2002, 20:42   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm a warmonger, and personally I never take "Intermissions" as you define them. when I got for domination i go as fast as i can.

I do, however, play "Intermission" GAMES, where i actually try a "builder" path.

I usually end up going to war, but it's fun to play in a couple of different ways now and then. Democracy is great except that whole "no war" thing
Old July 11, 2002, 21:21   #3
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Local Time: 22:09
Am I having a dejavu or have i seen this thread somewhere?

Anyhow,

Only cats and dogs play with their food so to speak. I always go for the kill whenever possible.
have struck again
Old July 11, 2002, 22:57   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
There are times when this, with variations, is the appropriate strat.... this will be even more true in MP.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 12, 2002, 01:55   #5
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 23:09
Heh, something i've been trying in more recent games. Not killing off my neighbors, this means not even conquering citys when war is declared on me, simply defending and a bit of raiding. Some nice powerful civs develop, then you get to have fun in the modern age when a big war breaks out.
Old July 12, 2002, 05:35   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:09
It has to be mentioned that, the faster you get victory, the more score you get.

And Uber, of course you got to try different paths. In MP, there might well be situations where you're not suitable for a warmonger path.
Old July 12, 2002, 08:03   #7
Zachriel
King

Re: For Warmongers: ever take an "intermission" for fun?
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
Instead of upgrading all your knights once you get cavalry and conquering the rest of the world. Hold off and build some, go to democracy and wait until you get tanks for fun. Just to build up your mighty empire and see it flourish.
I recently finished a game where that was my strategy. I had such a large section of continent to settle, it took most of my production to build all the settlers and improvements to claim the land. Once that was done, with the world so crowded, my neighbors became jealous of my wealth. So after 5695 years of peace, war came to German.

German Valor
http://www.zachriel.com/GOTM8/index.htm
Jeder ist seines Glückes Schmied
Old July 12, 2002, 08:27   #8
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:09
That's an awesome story, Zachriel, especially the headlines in German . I always have great fun to visit your site.
Old July 12, 2002, 18:39   #9
Dan Severn
Chieftain

I wouldn't worry 'bout me score iff'n I was ye.

'Tis only important ta'ave fun wik yer game. I prefer ta' be small an' put-upon, until I exact me ferocious revenge!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
¡Mueran todos los Reyes!
Old July 12, 2002, 18:52   #10
Moonsinger
Warlord

Zachriel: As always, I enjoy reading your stories. Well done!

"They smile a lot, but at night there are strange whispers in the dark." I wish I can write like that!
Old July 12, 2002, 18:57   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger
Zachriel: As always, I enjoy reading your stories. Well done!

"They smile a lot, but at night there are strange whispers in the dark." I wish I can write like that!
You only make up for it by beating the game so bad it shames us all, huh?
Old July 14, 2002, 18:30   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
Heh, something i've been trying in more recent games. Not killing off my neighbors, this means not even conquering citys when war is declared on me, simply defending and a bit of raiding. Some nice powerful civs develop, then you get to have fun in the modern age when a big war breaks out.
In my last game (still playing) i trying something similar, but slightly different. I don't do any tech trading, I will sell but not but or even conquer. So basically i'm doing my own research
Iwas lucky to get a GL to buy the Great Library when i was way behind.
I'm numero uno at the moment but getting behind, still this should make the game interesting in he modern ages. BTW this game is on emperor