Old July 11, 2002, 20:24   #1
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarians & Terrain
Caveat: If this subject has already been discussed, then just bear with me (and please provide a link to the thread) - if not, then it's an important issue (at least for scenario designers)

PtW will apparently give you the option to make certain types of terrain impassable to settlers (or at least prohibit the building of cities). If so, that's an important feature since we'll be able to create maps with deserts and/or jungles that aren't instantly filled with AI and human cities - which adds a great deal of needed realism, IMHO. However, does anybody know if this anti-city feature will also prohibit the establishment of Barbarian Camps? In my eyes that would be a BAD thing, so hopefully Firaxis will enable Barb camps on such terrain (or better yet, make THAT a toggle option for the designer)

If anyone's got information on these subjects, please share!
Old July 11, 2002, 21:27   #2
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 00:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Probably not, since those aren't cities.
Old July 12, 2002, 15:31   #3
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 23:09
A note on the barbarians: I have seen their encampents crop up on every non-aquatic terrain type, so I dont think the new options will affect their placement.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 12, 2002, 16:30   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Truely, I too have seen barbarian encampments on mountainous terrain, so there should be no problem with them camping out on desert terrain.
Old July 17, 2002, 17:21   #5
Kull
lifer
King

Chandragupta & Wittlich: Excellent observation guys! I think that answers the question.