Old July 11, 2002, 16:31   #1
joony
Settler

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
INSANELY silly post
Right. Brace yaselves. Which is the best Civilisation? Everybody only gets one vote, and i will add them up after a good number of replies. You have to have good reasons though. Here goes with the first vote

The Indians

They have the War Elephant which can be used without resources and is as good as a Knight. Religious so no Anarchy. Commercial so less corruption.
Old July 11, 2002, 16:34   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Insanely silly.

You should try the poll option, it tallies the votes for you!

I don't really have a favorite, but play best with the frogs.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 11, 2002, 16:34   #3
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:10
I like the Egyptians. They're my new favorite. Religious, so no anarchy, and industrious, so quicker roads, mines, rails, and so forth. Plus, the war chariot is a good UU. Cheap horsemen.

This would be better done if it were a poll. Anyhoo, it will probably end up being moved to the Civilizations forum, where an exact copy has probably been around for a while.

Old July 11, 2002, 18:25   #4
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 21:10
Joony,

Welcome to the forums, did you choose the Indians as you favorite civ based on their rendition of that great disco hit "The War Elephant shuffle"?

You are new to the forums and will learn a great deal here and on CivFanatics as well. Much of what you learn will help you fix problems with the game and enjoy it better.

One thing you will learn is that the Civs in the game are just graphics wrappers over the top of a limited set of combinations of civ specific traits, unique units, and just darned old meaness levels set by a mathematical slider.

Some civs are better under different game conditions that match up against different opponents and different terrain combos. The primary advantage to the Indians is that their UU the War Elephant is free from resource constraints in the mid-game while everyone else has to have Horses and Iron to stay on par. The Mahatma can be a bit flaky in the current game play because of how his traits match up with his aggression level.

There are only 15 possible combinations of the existing traits and with 16 in the standard game plus 8 more coming in the XP, there will be roughly 2 duplicates of every combination.

There are no real "best" civs in the game but it can be argued that a couple of them come fairly close to sucking the big green weenie because of really sucky combos of Unique Units (UUs) and traits.

You will also learn that this topic gets posted and reposted and argued, whined, and moaned about at least once every two to three weeks when some new person falls off the turnip truck without searching for the 72 previous discussion threads on this same topic. Its almost like there needs to be an FAQ index that comes up on the registration screen that lists this question with direct links to all the prior posts and messages so you can catch up with the process and read all the previous comments. Don't want you to miss out on anything.
Old July 11, 2002, 19:15   #5
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:10
I long ago edited the game reducing war elephants to a realistic and historical 3.1.2. Made them cheaper, also.

Elephants that are as strong as knights is pure Fantasy.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:24   #6
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 13:40
Egypt
Old July 11, 2002, 21:33   #7
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 14:10
Persians are my pick with a couple of mods.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:42   #8
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 14:10
For a pure builder strategy:

1. Babylon
2. France
3. America

For pure warmongering:

1. Japan
2. Iroquois
3. Germany

And for a balance between building and warmongering:

1. Egypt
2. China
3. Persia
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 11, 2002, 22:04   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:10
Persia. When the Immortals are on the warpath, nothing can stand up to it... 2 to 1 ratio attack VS defense (at best) for an entire age.
Old July 12, 2002, 07:17   #10
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:10
@ first post.
Old July 12, 2002, 07:55   #11
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 04:10
Personally I like the Chinese the best. We have them as industrial, fast workers and extra shield, right. Then they are militaristic, which means faster promotion of units, thats a good advantage to have. Their UU is also very good, just a usual knight, but 1 move faster.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:16   #12
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cracker

There are only 15 possible combinations of the existing traits and with 16 in the standard game plus 8 more coming in the XP, there will be roughly 2 duplicates of every combination.
Do we know that PTW will not introduce new traits?
Old July 12, 2002, 20:56   #13
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 13:40
PTW won't, one of the Firaxians already said so
Old July 13, 2002, 09:41   #14
Purple
Prince

Pity.
Old July 14, 2002, 15:28   #15
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:10
england.
bad traits, useless UU

if you win with england at diety lever, you're god
Old July 14, 2002, 19:10   #16
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 06:10
I still like the Romans most, it was the same in Civ2, and also in Civ3 they are great

But I don´t think there is really one single "best " civ, they all have their strengths...
Old July 15, 2002, 17:51   #17
Purple
Prince

I'm with BeBro. The various traits and UUs make the civs different, not better or worse. You might really want a challenge, as pointed out above by Sabrewolf (English), or you might want to indulge your inner builder, or go into warmonger mode. You can chose the best civ for a given style, or try to play against type and try to turn the Aztecs, for example, into a builder civ.

Right now I'm cleaning AI clock as India, which was a surprise to me. I thought they would be harder to turn into a military power, but by the year 1815 I've wiped out four of the eight starting civs.

Different strokes.