Old July 12, 2002, 08:24   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Science advisor campaign thread
a bit late, but here it is. The candidates:
civman2000
JvdB2002
EmperorMagnus

My promises:
I promise detailed polls. I will look IN ADVANCE at potential tech trades, and poll the people so that we have at least some idea of whether a trade would be acceptable. THis will strengthen the voice of the people, instead of the govt being the only ones that decides tech trades.

To show what I will do if elected, I took a look at the savegame and did exactly what I promiose to do. We can trade for writing from 3 civs:
Germany: for 6 gpt, 61 gold
America: for 5 gpt, 73 gold
France: for 5 gpt, 61 gold.

France is the cheapest, but if we plan on attacking them within 20 turns (i'm not sure exactly how many) that would be a bad idea. Ditto for America. Getting it from Germany is more expensive, but does not hamper any war plans we may have.

I could easily make a very clear and straightforward poll with the above choices as well as "Let's not trade for writing now" and "Let's trade for bananas". This is why you should vote for me.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 12, 2002, 08:36   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cue the annoying questions I guess...

Turnchats: there are frequently sudden developments, trades are suddenly different than polled on - what would you in these circumstances where it is not possible to stop and repoll?

Also, can you turn up to the turnchats and if so, do you intend to as often as possible? (What atrocious time are the turnchats for you? )

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 12, 2002, 08:39   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:11
Would you consider to buy techs now, that we are going to war and will very likely get a couple of techs for naught?
Old July 12, 2002, 09:09   #4
mgekelly
Settler

Local Time: 14:11
yeah **** getting writing now - it won't help us in the coming battel, which is what we should be concentrating on!
Old July 12, 2002, 09:26   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:11
I think this is more a hypothetical situations thread.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 12, 2002, 09:41   #6
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 04:11
For how long will the science advisors support the tactics of low percentage being given over to the discovery of science, this way supporting the aquiring of technology by the wars we will inevatibly fight and by buying them.

If the answer is as long as it promotes the interest of Apolytania, then pray do tell when it will promote that interest no longer.
Old July 12, 2002, 10:49   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 23:11
Please note that the actual PURCHASE of techs is the job of the Foreign Ministry.

But, yeah, its the Science Advisor's job to approve of the trades. But approval isnt neccesary.
Old July 12, 2002, 10:56   #8
Papa Chubby
Warlord

So what exactly is the domain of the science advisor ?

Surely what technologies are needed and when they are needed must be the domain of the science advisor. Therefore it should stand that it also must be the science advisor who decides by which means to aquire them, in cohots with appropriate members of the government.

Why else should we have a science advisor, to tell us which technologies are important. Donīt we all know that.
Old July 12, 2002, 12:30   #9
Robber Baron
Prince

Questions for candidates:
It looks to me as though horseriding has become a strategic priority.
1) do you agree?
2) if so, do you anticipate our being able to buy it? Or should we research it ourselves?
3) if so and so, would you favor increasing our science spending (to the extent possible)?
Old July 12, 2002, 12:54   #10
Papa Chubby
Warlord

They donīt seem very keen on conducting an election campaign, donīt even answer questions. Makes me think back to the good old days when contenders where out there kissing children and picking up banana peels with the common man.
Old July 12, 2002, 12:57   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:11
civman2000 :
good job. You haggled to get the cheapest price we could get. You show as much zeal as myself not to waste a single penny of our empire
Old July 12, 2002, 14:29   #12
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 05:11
This campaign thread isn't very inspiring is it?

But I was looking around on the forum and I found out that Emperor Magnus, one of the candidates, asked his fellow UFC party members to copy and paste his statements for him in this thread. Because he is on vacation until the 13th. And because no one cared to do so here is Emperor Magnus' view:

Quote:
Unlike war, which must be carefully planned, I believe science is a here and now sort of thing. If elected minister of science, I will focus on what we need at the moment. Work on a skyscraper can not begin if the foundation is unfinished. If we focus on the present rather than the future, we will be able to make better use of our advances later down the road. If elected, I favor a beeline to the republic in order to boost our science and economy, followed by military research spree. Decimate America to the point of extinction, then offer peace in exchange for every tech they have plus some gtp
Please note I am not a member of any party, I just did it so we, the people, can hopefully make a better choice.
(and because I liked his Latin name )
Old July 12, 2002, 14:49   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

crap. what is JvdB2002's platform.
Old July 12, 2002, 15:29   #14
Edrix

When are elections, anyway? Weren't they supposed to be today?

Old July 12, 2002, 16:39   #15
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

civman2000, will you be able to complete your term
?
Old July 12, 2002, 22:34   #16
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Quote:
Turnchats: there are frequently sudden developments, trades are suddenly different than polled on - what would you in these circumstances where it is not possible to stop and repoll?
Unless the situation of possibilities is fundamentally different than polled on, I stick with th results. I try to keep what we do as close as possible to the poll results.

Quote:
For how long will the science advisors support the tactics of low percentage being given over to the discovery of science, this way supporting the aquiring of technology by the wars we will inevatibly fight and by buying them.
I'm not in charge of this, but I think we should change to at least 10% science asap, but stay low for a while.

Quote:
Questions for candidates:
It looks to me as though horseriding has become a strategic priority.
1) do you agree?
2) if so, do you anticipate our being able to buy it? Or should we research it ourselves?
3) if so and so, would you favor increasing our science spending (to the extent possible)?
1. Yes.
2. Not sure...either would take a long time.
3. Some but not much.

Quote:
They donīt seem very keen on conducting an election campaign, donīt even answer questions. Makes me think back to the good old days when contenders where out there kissing children and picking up banana peels with the common man.
Sheesh, I was at a theme park today, and I couldnt until tonight. Have some patience.

Quote:
civman2000, will you be able to complete your term
?
Quite unfortunately, no. The 29th or 30th IU will be going on another 2 week vacation, but i will do all i can to ensure that the transition after my resignation goes smoothly.

Whew! Feel like I'm being questioned in a press conference!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal