Old July 12, 2002, 17:09   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 16:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
WW2 Online
Is it as good as people say it is? I was thinking about buying a copy.
Old July 12, 2002, 18:11   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
People say it's good?

Do It Ourselves
Old July 12, 2002, 18:44   #3
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Ya I like it. Its alot better than the orignal launch. A few patches, soon we will be in the North African Theatre.

There are some issues the programmers, CRS, are working out now. There totally redoing the graphics engine and FPS. There also realising some new cool 1940 equipment. They also are upping there 64 player visual limit to 96-128. This will help alot. In addition they have found some ways to stop loss of frame rate.

It isnt like most games. Most games you get people running around looking for quick kills. If you like that crap, go play Quake. Here is the only place you will find teamwork. I mean, more specifically, plans. You dont hop in a tank and head to the nearest city, you will get slaughtered. And people band together in squads. Squads participation is voluntarly you dont have to take orders from the high command. But you should, and I would say 80% of the players do. There air squads, Tank battalions and groundpounders. Most squads have about 100 people.

So if teamwork and cooperation are your thing. Go for it.

Its cool because you get a real war feeling. I mean, if you need airsupport, call out a radio to the Airforce channel. Give them your location, they will come.etc. Its not like you have a bunch of noobs running around like rambo.

You see cool things like last night we counterattacked and tryed to take back brussels. We had a huge air-operation. Over 50 Blen mk IV bombers and RAF hurricanes leveled the city, refueled and came back. It was a sight to behold. Tho we didnt take it cause of a few lines of 88's murdered our tanks.

If you do get into wwiionline. Please come french, we need you!

Unfortunately, the game requires TOP OF THE LINE computers.

I have a
P3 800mhz
256mb of SDRAM <------(lots of RAM helps)
20gig HD
56k (modem doesnt make a difference, the server is really fast. I dont get a problem)

I get 20 frames a second and little lag, so my specs are great. I fly, tank, and hide in holes and tow flak guns.
Old July 12, 2002, 19:48   #4
Space05us
King

I was considering joining the French. as they have a cool fighter plane. (I downloaded the demo. or game whatever it was and played offline.) The only problem I have is at take off it likes to pull the the left. I don't think its my joystick because once Im airborne its smooth.
I have MS Combat Flight Sim and the only problem I have with flying is formation flying, I either go too fast or slow (on accident) Or I get impatient and start doing loops and dives. I guess I'll have to work on that.

one tech question; whats the diff between RAM and SDRAM?
Old July 12, 2002, 20:01   #5
faded glory
King

Oh the French plane is great. The Hawk-75 is an awesome Aircraft. I can go up to 10k and pounce on 109's below. And the best part about the Hawk is, its got an awesome climbrate and is the only real challenge to the 109's over france. If your in trouble, Just bank left and head up to the sky. The Run-09's cant climb at that angle without blacking out or stalling

The hurricane on the other hand, I cant stand. Its really slow compared to the 109's. And the only thing its got going for it is its turn rate, but other than that its a POS. If I fly british, Ill spawn into Dover and get Spitfire and take the time to fly to the mainland. Even if I dont have a wingman.

CRS will be giving the french a COMPLETE airforce soon. I honestly can't wait. Plus an airfield in Sedan and below luxembourg. We will have

H-75
D520
Bre 693
One more plane (The players are voting on this and lobbying in the forums as to which one)

Up till now we only have had the H-75 and Blen MkI. But that changes soon.

SDRAM. Im not sure.....wheres Asher when you need him?

Feel free to join Space. Its alot of fun. It can suck at first if your not sure what to do. But take the time to research your sides radio protocols/channels and try to find a squad to join on that side. Look forward to you coming to provide air support, of bombing me (im mainly on a ground Squad as a french Rifleman). But sometimes I fly with a french squad called VFA-25.

Right now we're getting our collective arses kicked. Lost brussels and antwerp and cant really recover. Most of the biggest airfields have been overran except a few back in france. A couple of days ago they took brussels, and we counterattacked and surrounded it. But now there breaking out.

http://www7.wwiionline.com/map/belgium_front.html
Old July 12, 2002, 20:32   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SDRAM is the most common type of RAM. It stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory. It's what's been used on most desktop PCs for years now. A variant of it you sometimes see is called DDR or DDR RAM or DDR SDRAM, which stands for Double Data Rate SDRAM (twice as fast). High end Pentium 4 systems use RDRAM: Rambus Dynamic Random Access Memory (Rambus being the company who made it).

Most of the time it's shortened to RAM because the actual specific technology of the RAM changes over time but the purpose (RAM) stays the same.
Old July 12, 2002, 20:42   #7
Space05us
King

hmm... this is what I have:
Dell Dimension DIM4400
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 1.60GHZ
1.59GHZ
256MB of RAM

but My internet connection is supposedly 45.2 kbs, but it acts slower.
soon I'll have a sattalite connection.
(By soon I mean it could be a month or more $1600 just for the dish, and my mom wants me to pay for at least half of it.)
Old July 12, 2002, 20:49   #8
faded glory
King

"but My internet connection is supposedly 45.2 kbs"

heh.....your talking to a guy who gets 1.5kb/s. I play fine, CRS has an awesome server on there end. Only time I will really feel the lag is when there are 20-30 guys in front of me. Even then, I just use F4 to help bring it down (F4- increases/decreases visual range of your unit)
Old July 12, 2002, 21:25   #9
Space05us
King

but don't the other people sort of teleport around?
Old July 12, 2002, 21:48   #10
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I qould like to try tyhis game

how mcuh does it cost?

Jon Miller
Old July 12, 2002, 21:56   #11
Space05us
King

http://www7.wwiionline.com/

this is the games web site, it should have all the info you want.
Old July 12, 2002, 21:58   #12
faded glory
King

"but don't the other people sort of teleport around?"

Nope...not for me. Unless I get a spike or am in a large battle. The graphics engine is made the way it is so laggers like me dont lag. I have seen periodically, where warp gets realllly bad in large battles of hundreds of people to the point where you bullets and tank shells dont find there mark. But that is rare, Is Annoying tho.

JM, 10 bucks a month.

the one thing I hate about the game is controls. Its confusing to learn the tank macro's, etc. And still I can only hope CRS will release the 128 limit upgrade soon. A few nights ago we had a french tank column of about 70 R-35, S-35, Char tanks. They were blinking in and out and it was getting annoying (I was at the end of the column, so it was bad for me, have a SS but dont wanna post it). Anyway, the column ran into some very expeirenced axis squad STUG's and Pz IV's and they took us out one by one as we went over the hill. But we did succeed in our objective at the city of grandpe (although only having like 10 tanks at the end of the thing, i wasnt one of them)

sorry for babbling. But I love this game. I have, on occassion, (Dont tell my boss). Stayed home from work just so I can participate in a Mega-Operation or day long offensive.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:04   #13
Space05us
King

a true gamer

only $10 a month, the game is $39.99, and there's little to no prob with lag... I will definetly get my mom to order it when she gets home. and you'll see me on the front in a couple of weeks, buzzing over you heads.

btw. I love war stories real or fake. tell more!!
Old July 12, 2002, 22:21   #14
faded glory
King

Well, there real. Theres a whole Sleuth of them here. And in case you dont believe me, check the War Story forum. These kind of 200 men attacks are daily, no hourly in ww2o.

http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiolhq/...jcgmcggichhl.0

Just hope around the barracks and stuff too.

Here are all the axis/allied weps of the game. Alot more are coming, this theatre is more or less a beta for North Africa. Like so many, it was pushed out on the market too early. But the programmers have done there damnest to recover, they've done very well.

http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiol/ar...jcgmcggichhl.0
Old July 12, 2002, 22:32   #15
faded glory
King

Ever since 1.6 patch came out a new city capture system was put in place. The prevouis system, consisted of having one man, capture a flag in the center of the town and run into a bunker to "Bump" a table with a radio and the city was axis. That wasnt good, that just got people sneaking into the city and 1 man truck rushes at night. The second, in 1.6 , is the attacker has to hold/contest the flags for 10 minutes, then the radio table appears. But during these 10 minutes, the defenders can spawn unlimited troops. Basically, when you are ready to contest, you had better damn well be ready. Once you constest the first building on the edges of the city, a =flood= of defenders. And i mean, a god dang flood of them pour in through the spawns. Then you have to fight them off and back for 10 minutes until the radio appears. Then you must charge a bunker where the radio is in and the spawning stops and city is your sides. Makes for some nasty street fighting. Attrition on Infantry is not in, Attrition on tanks is There are about 10 tanks per armybase on all sides, every 30 minutes 10 more tanks appear If the tank is destroyed, you must wait 30 mins for replenishment same for airfields. Soon infantry wont be able to spawn back into the town they died in until a 10 min timer is up (they can spawn anywhere else tho). So the days of the endless defender is coming to an end. AT guns and AAA guns too

So you see, the programmers set the game up like this. It takes alot to take/defend a city.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:43   #16
Space05us
King

are there any AI controlled people? oh and in the tanks and bomber can you have more than one person in it? (you know one person play pilot another plays gunner, etc...)
Old July 12, 2002, 22:49   #17
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

sounds interesting, I will have to try it

(but I face my hardest year this next year so ...)

Jon Miller
Old July 13, 2002, 02:08   #18
faded glory
King

"are there any AI controlled people? oh and in the tanks and bomber can you have more than one person in it? (you know one person play pilot another plays gunner, etc...)"

ya theres uber-AI sentry's near every city. They basically spot and alert the HQ's of nme attacks. There very cheap, especially the AI AT 6pounder, which can literally, shred an armored column to pieces in a matter of minutes unless someone bombs it.

Yes you can Multi-crew. But most people dont. And the only tail gunner I can think of is on the RAF Blen Mk IV, I. But that thing is like a gasoline can. I mean, hit it with about 2 dozen MG rounds and it goes up big time(In RL it was made of wood). But ive been the tailgunner on that, and its got a .303 on the back and on the top. So it works. You can switch from one to the other.

Tanks are good Multi-crew. You get someone to drive and operate the MG and someone to do the Cannon. Otherwise its a ***** for one man (but alot of people do 1 man cause there good at it)
Old July 13, 2002, 02:15   #19
Space05us
King

I was looking at the tanks. what is the spot the does nothing??The spot right next to the gun.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:28   #20
faded glory
King

When you do get the game, you need to DL a 100mb patch prolly. It helps alot.

*shrugs* The MG? The search light? Im not sure what you mean. Im going to bed.

Cya, thanks!
Old July 13, 2002, 03:11   #21
Space05us
King

search light? do you mean the guy that pops up out of the top, he's the commander. (or is supposed to be, i think...) I'll check tomorrow to see what number it is. then I'll tell you. (can't do it right now, dl something)
Old July 13, 2002, 04:16   #22
Space05us
King

in the Panzer MkIV it's position 5.
Old July 13, 2002, 10:26   #23
Space05us
King

I see the allies have taken Bussles back. do you think they'll hold it?
Old July 13, 2002, 14:37   #24
faded glory
King

Yes, I think we will . Although I wasnt on when it happened, there has been intense fighting for weeks and arfr and BEF forces have been throwing all our tank supply at them.
Old July 13, 2002, 14:39   #25
faded glory
King

The thing is, Brussles and Antwerp are huge airfields. If we lose em' generally its becomes impossible to keep forward bases open
Old July 13, 2002, 14:40   #26
faded glory
King

"in the Panzer MkIV it's position 5."

Not sure. When I'll go german and check it out
Old July 14, 2002, 04:24   #27
Space05us
King

play it offline.
Old July 14, 2002, 04:32   #28
Space05us
King

I've managed to take off in the Hawk without too much trouble. landing can't be done without full brakes, or else it likes to pull to the left. I'll try different prop settings. I can't wait to play online!!!
Old July 14, 2002, 14:09   #29
faded glory
King

Ya the hawk is pretty nifty. Check this pic out from last night lol. Of course our counterparts in the JG22 german airforce sent up a group of about the same size.lol all those tags are people flying hawks. I didnt take this picture, but I saw the whole thing unfold from a french city on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-grandpre.bmp.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	19534  
Old July 14, 2002, 14:19   #30
Space05us
King

I look foward to those huge air battles, it should help improve my flying skills drastically. That must have been an asome sight to behold, who won the battle?