Old July 12, 2002, 21:27   #1
The_Hawk
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ra Mesh Strategy Guide: The Impenetrable Defense
Ra Mesh Strategy Guide: The Impenetrable Defense

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone! I wanted to share my ideas on another interesting topic, which is Defense. I thought it would be a good idea to start some discussion on our most wicked and effective defensive strategies. In my last thread, we discussed how we would penetrate another nation's continent with the intent of military conquest, but how would you defend against a determined AI assault? I'd like to start off the discussion by posing the question, "How would you describe the most Impenetrable Defense? This question and thread have a few built-in assumptions:

First, I will focus my ideas on the Modern Era, since the military units are much more powerful and complex to defend than in any other era (Air, Navy, Ground).

Second, I will assume that you own your entire continent(s). Personally, i've always mentioned that I am not one who plays to share my own continent and never have (even in previous versions of Civ). Defensive strategies for earlier eras, when you're more likely to still coexist with others, may require its own separate thread.

Third, I focus on non-nuclear warfare, with the exception of Tactical Nukes, which must be delivered in proximity to their target using Nuclear Subs. The only real defense for ICBMs and the like are building the Sam Missile Batteries and building the Integrated Defense small wonder. Even then, you're talking probability and statistics.
And without further ado....

DEFENSIVE MINDEST: Begin at the Beginning

First of all, defense is about pride. Personally, I play this game because I am teleported into a simulation of life. The game is the closest that I know of in testing nation building skills and I enjoy being at the helm of growing a huge, productive civilization that will stand the test of time. But my pride just will not allow me to spend thousands of years nursing my people into the modern era only to have some bully want to use me as their backally girlfriend. No offense to anyone, but Hawks bends over for noone! (Calming down again. Sorry about that).

The key to defense, is the same as the key to offense—infrastructure. I don't care how inteligent your strategem, you have to have cards to play to begin with. Therefore, everyting starts with properly building your civilization. Some key points are:

1. RailRoad Network. Even more critical than your road network in the beginning, your biggest geographic keys are your road network. Consider these the veins and capillaries in your body. They deliver blood, nutrients, resources, to practically every single crevice of your system. It is the same here. It is a means of instantly delivering key military, supplies, etc. to anywhere in your continent. I strongly recommend that you build railroads over EVERY tile in your continent, even non-city tiles. Even those desert, tundra tiles that are the homes of pesky barbarians. Find a tile that does not have a railroad and you will find a potential weakness to exploit.

2. City Production. There are different schools of thoughts on how to position cities and space them. I am from the school of perfectly spacing cities to maximize production and growth, with some exceptions. If you build your cities in the desert, or in the wintery tundra, you will have a harder time defending the common cold than you would have concerning yourself with attacks from other nations. So, it is critical to develop productive cities.

3. Teamwork. My tagline is "Working together to share the burden, share the wealth and conquer all challenges." Begin to think of your nation as a team. Every city plays a role towards your defense and contributes a purpose. You should reflect on the attributes of each city, their strength and assign them a role that works best for them.

With all these things in place we can now truly begin to talk strategy. Without the proper infrastructure, You can quickly go nowhere fast (More later...)

"TO UNDERSTAND THE WINTER, YOU MUST STUDY ITS OPPOSITE—SUMMER..."

In order to begin to understand an impenetrable approach to defense, we must first begin by sumarizing what makes for a good offense. Some key principals of offense are:

1. Force. Strength in numbers. Concentration of forces at the point of attack. Big muscles in a bar brawl. These are things that you try to position for. A key objective is to plan to have more people at the dance than your opponent, on having bigger muscle friends at the bar fight. Force is a key weapon to subdueing your enemy.

2. Element of Surprise. In offense, the element of surprise is an effective tool during offensive campaigns as it impacts your enemy's ability to respond and prepare. You always try to find an angle to surprise the enemy and catch them off guard.

3. Speed of Execution. The quicker you can blitz through an enemy's territory, the weaker the counter-offensives become. It also becomes a less expensive campaign for you, both in the campaign and in the homefront. OTOH, the longer the campaign, the more it becomes a lose/lose situation. Ever had a long war end up netting only a few cities that were lost anyway due to culture flop? My point exactly. This goes hand in hand with point 2 as the Element of Surprise helps to successfully have point 3.

3. Attack Infrastructure & Resources. You can't run a business, military, athletic enterprise without resources and infrastructure. Attacking these things are key to any offensive campaign. Attack the enemy's production, his resources, his ties & friends (allies).

3. Lines of Least Resistance. This could have been talked about in #3, but I separated it because of its weight as a tactical maneuver. You want to attack along the lines of least resistance. This is so you can minimize your own casualties and facilitate speed of execution. Don't travel over mountains if you don't have to. Logically, the enemy might have built roads/railroads to ease his own movement over these terrains. Try to go a faster route, or, plan to conquer a city that owns the roads over that terrain and then make them your own! But mountains can be an example of a geographic place that has the most potential for offering the most resistance and therefore give advantage to the defense. We all know of discussions of people parking in the mountains with defense units and artillary and the blood bath that spilled over the poor soles that tried to climb them hills.

Among others, these are key, essential elements to offensive campaigns. We will discuss these as we now dive deeper into our defensive philosophy. Let's first expound on the philosophical principals, then dive into its implementation...

TOUGH OUTER SHELL

Look at nature. Many animals, who's survival depends on a good defense are either gifted with some tough outer shell, or blinding speed to run like crazy. While the latter may not apply to much to this scenario (and our mentality of not running from a good fight), we find several examples of the former. You see turtles, armadillas, etc. have a tought outer shell so that predators cannot get to all of the tasty, soft meat on the inside. You find porcupines carry all of these razor sharp thorns on its outside. A predator can spend his time and energy trying to get past the spikes, but many would think, why waste the time when there are plenty of other places to hunt for food.... like McDonalds! (sorry I had to sneak that one in)

Even humans have good, tough skin as a first line of defense (I know, I know. Its not that tough, but imagine fighting all those microscopic.... thingamajigs without it. You thought WWII was bad....).

So, when talking about an impenetrable defense, we must start with a pretty impenetrable outer shell. We should craft one that combines the elements of the turtle (tough outer shell) and the porcupine (spiky things that hurt).

SUPERB IMMUNE SYSTEM

Look at the human species. Its defense system is the immune system. Take a close look and you'll see military units—white blood cells— that agressively respond to any foreign substance that gets past the skin. I call it the official welcoming party. As soon as the foreign item introduces itself, the white blood cells swarm around it and eliminate it post haste! So, another key element to a defense system is a fast-responding immune system. This is why, as we talked about earlier, the railroad network is so key. They are the veins that will deliver those white blood cell units quickly to the area that has gotten past your outer shell.

BRING THE HAMMER

Ever seen someone try to rob someone with a knife and the defender pulls a hammer out of their pocketbook? Well, um, neither have I... but I can imagine that the attacker will be thinking long and hard about that counter-swing. OUCH!!! So must it be with your defense. Once the enemy has set foot on shore, make sure you've got a hammer waiting for him. Make him think twice about trying it again. Make him have nightmares as he sits in the emergency room holding the cold compress on his head muttering about, why didn't I just pick on the other guy....

Now, enough philosophy, let's see this stuff in action....

IMPLEMENTING YOUR TOUGH OUTER SHELL

Mitigating The Element of Surprise

The outer shell starts with your defensive position at your borders. The most important factor is to eliminate as much as possible the element of surprise. First of all, understand the line of sight and visibility ratings of your units. Where there is not a city, you MUST have lookouts. If you space your cities properly, you should not have too many holes on your borders. However, we've all had land where there is all of that tundra forest, or desert and we've chosen to not build cities there and leave well enough alone. this becomes a hole in your shell to all that soft meat on the inside. place lookouts there and some naval units to make sure that no one is sneaking in the back door. Consider these your nerves, your alarm. They don't have to necessary be powerful units, just something that can detect a dropoff of military units. Space them accordingly so that there are NO holes.

Another key factor to eliminating element of surprise is the use of Jet Fighters. I would suggest building them and placing about 2 in each border city. If resources don't allow, try to build them and place them in every other city. You will use these first for their Recon capability, second for their Air Superiority capability. The idea is to make visible as many ocean squares around your entire continent as possible. With proper placement you can clear a visibility stretch of as many as 12+ tiles into the ocean. If you have an enemy continent that's close enough to sail and land a transport in one turn, then you must own the waters in that area. They should not be able to get away with having any boat leave their docks in that area. He who controls that stretch of coast/sea, owns that part of the defensive shell.

Your Porcupine Spikes

You know how an enemy captures your cities? By getting close enough to one of them to do so! The predator can't eat ya if it never gets close enough to your skin to bite ya, and your enemy can't beat ya if they never make it to your beaches in the first place. So have those Porcupine spikes at the ready. This translates to your Naval forces and secondarily to your Air forces. You MUST make it your priority to own the seas if you can. As soon as I have the capability, I devote EVERY single border city to building Battleships and my choice of Submarines. If a key improvement comes along, like research labs, they stop just long enough to build them, then go right back to it. That's their special role in my team. Some people specialize in rebounding. That's their role. My border cities' role is owning the seas! I place a battleship every 3-4 costal squares distance from each other around my ENTIRE continent. They are placed at the edge of my cultural border. The farther the distance of my cultural border the better. Do not place them too far PAST your border however. Then, if you meet with an enemy convoy in the open seas, its difficult to tell weather they're sailing for your shores or someone else's. It leaves you with a turn or two of incertaintly which may potentially scatter some of your forces opening the door to tactical isolations (remember force? More on this later) You also don't want the Battleships too far out of the reach of your Bomber planes, which are your spikes. These Battleships function as your tough outer shell, your choice of Bomber plane function as your spikes, or long-range artillery. You also want to intermix your choice of Submarine (I like Nuke Subs because of the extra movement) in between your Battleships. This is to prevent subs from sneaking up and attacking your battleships. Place your Bombers ideally in every border city. You want to work up to 2 per border city if you have the resources. If not, place one per city and use the teamwork principle. You can always lift planes to the area of attack if necessary.

So, this is your first line of defense, your tough outer shell. Use your Jet Fighters to spot the approaching enemy. Spike him with your Bomber planes and finish them off and chase them with your Battleships. Your Subs might even catch a few stragglers unexpected which is always a treat.

Next Layer of Your Outer Shell

What if they make it past this first wave? This may happen from time to time as Battleships go off to chase those limping ships ("never leave an enemy behind to limp home and heal. He will only return rejuvenated to strika again!" , Shaka Zulu). When they go chasing, it leaves a temporary hold that may take you a turn or 2 to fill. If they make it through that, hit them with your second layer of artillery, your 2 tile units. These could be Artillery, Cruise Missiles, or ideally, Radar Artillery (love those things!) Now, Cruise Missiles are interesting, because they have a short range and zero mobility. They basically stay in the city you build them. However, if anything comes close enough to the city that has them... LOOKOUT! They wreck serious havoc. Then, cleaning up the mess belongs again to your Naval forces, which is why they are so key to your Outer Shell.

Now, personally, the ideal short-range artillery is Radar Artillery. They are almost guaranteed to knock a HP off of a Battleship or Destroyer. You should strive to build about 1 per city, ideally 2. However, don't place these units in every city. No, no! Stack them somewhere save and under the guard of a MI or 2. Remember the white blood cells? Positioning them this way allows you to quickly move them to any site where needed en masse. You can then use as many, or as few as you need.

The key is to have them stacked somewhere where you can mobilize them en masse. You can use the J command to move 3, 5, 12, whatever, to the site of the attack. Then, clean up with your navy.

IMPLEMENTING YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM

Where Are Those @#$!!! White Blood Cells?

What if you're playing a persistent opponent who sends his forces in waves. Every now and then, something gets through and may land on your continent, thereby penetrating your tough outer shell. Now, its the immune system's time to attack. First, swarm to the site. Remember that the enemy does not yet have use of your railroad network to use against you until he defeats his first territory.

Bring The Hammer!

Your goal is to contain his forces and diminish, if not eliminate the force of his attack. Now, let me explain. In martial arts, some styles call for you to meet the force of the blow with an equal or greater force (block). Other styles call for you to REDIRECT the force of your opponents blow and attempt to throw the opponent off balance and counter-strike. Both apply here. You meet the opponent first, head on. First wave, weaken his forces using your stacks of artillery. (Remember, however, not to exhaust your forces on this initial attack. As in my strategy, the enemy may also implement a head/tail attack, or even multiple points of attack.). The idea is to REDUCE the force of his blow. Don't be afraid if a few units are left, the point is to weaken his stacks till as many of them have weak HPs as to not statistically have as much of a chance to defeat your first city, which will be EXTREMELY well guarded with artillery and defensemen. Again, the idea is to also direct the force of his blow to a position that is more advantageous for you. It may cause some minimal damage, but is should throw your enemy off balance and away from what you anticipate is his primary targets. But the key is containment. Let's say you have a stack. You want to bring the stack at his stack head on. However, you also want to attack him from different tiles! The key is to minimize his angles of movement, or direct his stack towards defensively advantageous geography (Mountains, etc.) Your cities will always be holes to a wall of containment around a stack of his units, but any nearby cities to this stack should have the priority of being the most highly guarded. THE IDEA IS TO NOT LOSE A SINGLE CITY, IF POSSIBLE! Therefore eliminating him using your own network against you (like a virus).

CONCLUSION

You keep doing the above until the force of his blow is dwindled. If he has brought enough forces to withstand the first waves of your immune system, then don't try to meet the force head on. Instead, apply tactical maneuvers to DIRECT the force of his blows into a position that is most advantageous for you. do not be afraid to fall back while redirecting his forces, lose a city or 2 in order to dwindle his forces and make a formidable counterstrike. If you've built your nation right, he may only be temporarily a victor as your once-happy citizens pot their escape. Don't forget, culture value and time are your allies, not his. Use them to your advantage.

Lastly, don't forget that your soft meat is not your bordering cities, but the cities at the heart of your continent. The priority is to send all defensive and offensive forces to the front, even if it means only leaving 1 or 2 defensive units behind. You may even want to mobilize your nation, if the priority is there. Drafting citizens is also a last resort. Obviously, if it comes to that, then your "Impenetrable" defense has summarily been.... well.... penetrated. The error may just have been in the number of units you produced, of the wisdom in your execution. If that's the case, they're's always next incarnation....

In conclusion, I, as the Egyptians, come from a long line of proud Egyptian Kings. We built dynasties. While we were Religious, God-Fearing/Loving, Benevolent beings, we had so much time to meditate and build Pyramids and stuff BECAUSE of our impenetrable defense. These techniques i've shared with you today, for thousands of years laid hidden from the world, locked behind encoded Hieroglyphs. I've unlocked them so that all nations, looking to play a peaceful, diplomatic, graceful game may do so and resurrect new Wonders for the World in the land of Civ. PEACE

All comments are welcome. I hope that this is only the start of defensive ideas in the Modern Era. I look forward to reading your challenges, ideas, debates, etc.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:55   #2
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sounds pretty close to my basic strategy. I also keep a few cruise missiles around (typically 6 or so unless I have excess production to burn) as these can serve as another way to destroy incoming ships if your navy is occupied elsewhere (this gives you extra flexibility since you won't mind taking your ships elsewhere occasionally if they are needed for escort or shore bombardment roles). My defensive stacks in the modern era tend to be limited to 1 or 2 Mech Inf in each coastal city (or any city that can be cut off from my main network by landing a force or a bit of bombing. Internal cities are left undefended, since it's impossible for the enemy to reach them before I can get some defenders into them. Excess MI are stacked somewhere not too near and cities (as are MA, cruise missiles, tactical nukes and artillery). In the event of a landing the artillery and MA can whack the stack, and if that isn't enough to take out all the units, spare MI are rushed in to any threatened cities. I've never face an invasion force that about 12 artillery and 10 MA aren't capable fo slaughtering on the beaches, assuming the ships get through my naval defence.

If my empire is geographically able to be cut into two quite easily (narrow neck of land) then I'll keep duplicate stacks in each region. And once I know the AI has nukes I'll keep my forces as widely dispersed as possible, just in case the AI uses knowledge of where my troops are to drop a nuke and take out most of them in one go (hell, it's what I'd do).

Fortunately the AI rarely manages to stage massive landings - it is much better at conducting wars on the same continent.
Old July 12, 2002, 23:36   #3
The_Hawk
Chieftain

How do you place your cruise missiles? I tend to place mine in border cities since they can't be transported. I don't want them unleashed inland either. Do you do the same? When you said "Excess MI are stacked somewhere not too near and cities (as are MA, cruise missiles, tactical nukes and artillery)" did you mean just having them around in a city, or do you know something I don't about transporting Cruise Missiles from one city to another. Do tell....
Old July 12, 2002, 23:48   #4
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:14
Cruise missiles can move around quite happily using the cursor keys, mous drag and drop or the 'j' key, just like any other unit. They can also be moved into transports and shipped around, although I suspect that this is a bug. I stack all excess units outside cities, mostly to defend against surprise nuclear attacks (a strategy that paid off in the last MiniTourney game, when 6 nukes got through my missile defense ). Tactical nukes can also move around like cruise missiles (but can't be moved into transports) and ICBMs are stuck in the city that made them. So when I see a target boat within range, I bombard it with artillery and then move a cruise missile to within range along the coastline and sink it.

I'd be surprised if you could't do this, unless you've made some changes to the game with the editor. I don't think this has been changed in any of the patches.
Old July 15, 2002, 09:57   #5
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 00:14
Good job. I wish you needed to be as thorough as this good thread implies. However, with minimal defensive units in the right spots, RR, arty, and lots of good offensive units, you are invulnerable to the AI in the modern era. The combination of RR mobility and MA attack after artillery bombardment is too much for even the largest stacks.

Just be sure to defend cities reachable in one turn by MA -- not that the AI is likely to have enough to blitz. I'd file this thread away until MP, when you may need it!!
Old July 15, 2002, 14:22   #6
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:14

Nice. I've never gotten into a defensive position before, but I like the idea behind this. I am afraid that you are taking too defensive an outlook. The only time I can see this stat in use is 20 years before a culture victory or a launch. Otherwise, it is too defensive for my liking.
Old July 15, 2002, 14:51   #7
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Local Time: 22:14
Great read! One question though, have you won the game by domination/conqest with this strat? I would think that it'll take you a lot longer to achieve this since your forces are mainly defensive units. If I wan't to win a culture victory, I mass produce defensive units and very little offensive(for counter attack)

P.S. On Emperor and Deity you have no choice but to bend over
have struck again
Old July 15, 2002, 16:46   #8
The_Hawk
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by W4r_Machine
Great read! One question though, have you won the game by domination/conqest with this strat?
Yes. I had one game where I wanted to challenge myself and take on the world.... at once. I attacked one continent that had 3 Civs in MPPs basically defending each other. I attacked another Civ on the largest continent in the game and had 3 Civs defending each other. I, however, had the #1 position and had milked everyone's money to the tune of a treasury over 100,000 gold. Each Civ pretty much monopolized their own type of luxury resource, though, and I wanted control of the game. I would trade all non-military techs to all Civs for as many as 100G/turn! Anyway, I launched full nuclear warfare on the world and everyone ganged up on me. I was up to the challenge. I basically used the techniques in this thread to defend the home front and the ideas in my other thread (Ra Mesh Strategy Guide: Conquering Abroad) to penetrate and take over everyone else. The defensive overkill is because I wanted to keep the home base steady while I concentrated my attention on my imperialistic efforts. By 1955 I had my domination victory. It was sweet.

Quote:
[SIZE=1] If I wan't to win a culture victory, I mass produce defensive units and very little offensive(for counter attack)
Its interesting, but for a cultural victory, I found that the best defense is offense! I would build huge stacks of artillery and upgrade them whenever I discovered new techs. I would build large stacks of offensive units and position them to respond at my most key places within 1 turn. And I would immediately pummell anyone who stepped in my borders for more than one turn. Most Civs respected my numbers and immediately backed away.

Its ironic, that even when i've pursued cultural victories, I still have had to aggressively defend my borders and amass a significant amount of cities to reach the necessary points and that's with me owning ALL of the GWs. I've never one by having 20,000 points in one city either, even with building 10 GWs in one city. I always won with the larger, accumulative value. And even then, I had to have some imperialistic efforts in order to control my continent.
Old July 15, 2002, 17:00   #9
The_Hawk
Chieftain

I find it interesting that most people have not come across a situation where they feel they've needed to have as strong a defense. While such a defensive strategy might definitely become common place in PTW, I've had several games where i've been the envy of the other Civs and seem to warrent their military aspirations come the Modern Era. I always have the biggest booty (treasury) and am either scientifically or industrially superior. Of course, I haven't played higher than Prince and usually play on Monarch.

What prompted this defense was the onslaught. I actually had to defend against Carrier attacks from the AI. The AI usually doesn't mount great massive attacks well or as often, as Vulture said, but when they have I've usually been prepared. During the game where all other Civs rushed me and cut me off economically, I defended their best rush and ended up clearing them off the planet!