Old July 12, 2002, 21:53   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Independent Moderate Party
Yes, I know the name is an oxymoron. Shut up already

First, I am withdrawing from the UFC and the Hawk Party.

This is a "party", but it is devoted to NOT using party politics. We have no agenda. I know that I have used partisan politics in the past, but I am not proud of it. This is a party for people such as Sir Ralph. With a few exceptions, all of the Independents are also relatively moderate.

A moderate is someone who recognizes the need for war, but does not support it when it is not clearly beneficial. A moderate is someone who recognizes the need for peace, but is willing to support war when needed. A moderate is someone who knows that we cannot poll everything, and cannot poll nothing, and seeks to find the balance. A moderate walks the middle ground.

Despite some of the things I have supported in the past, I am not a warmonger. If you don't believe me, I'll send you a savefile of one of my games. I usually don't go to war until the late Modern Age.

An Independent is someone who refuses to use partisan politics. An Independent is someone who will support people based on their merits, not their party allegiance. An Independent is, well, independent.

I have used partisan politics in the past. I am not proud of that. I will not do so anymore.

This party will not run candidates. This party will not vote as a bloc. This party will not have a real agenda on any issue. This party is for those who are having to choose between black, white, or nothing. Members of the UFC and the DIA are encouraged to vote on party lines. Members of this party vote for who they think is the best for the job.

My hope is that this party will draw enough people out of the two major parties to put an end to partisan politics, or at least give the average Independent a chance. My hope is that this party will reverse the process of polarization underway, or at least halt it and create a middle ground. My hope is that this party will not succeed and grow strong rallying behind a banner, but just let people be themselves.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:07   #2
LordImpact
Warlord

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Independent Moderate Party
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

This party will not run candidates. This party will not vote as a bloc. This party will not have a real agenda on any issue. This party is for those who are having to choose between black, white, or nothing. Members of the UFC and the DIA are encouraged to vote on party lines. Members of this party vote for who they think is the best for the job.

Then what's the point really? I'm a UFC member and I vote for who I think will do the best job. I voted for several DIA and Independant candidates today even when they were up against UFC candidates. I have also spoken out about the value of learning to cross party lines to obtain our mututal goals. I think you're underestimating the inteligence of this community. Partisan politics are here to stay. If anything, more parties are going to emerge as we go along.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:08   #3
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
Aaaa!!! someone beet me to it. LordImpact...would you be interested in a reporter job???

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 12, 2002, 22:13   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

LordImpact - I am not talking about the citizens. I said that the parties supported voting along party lines.

Unorthodox -

In response to your first question, it is not against party politics. It is devoted to NOT USING party politics.

For your second question, no, it would not. Most people would not just leave a party. This gives them the opportunity to stay within the relative security of a party while being independent.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:22   #5
LordImpact
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
LordImpact - I am not talking about the citizens. I said that the parties supported voting along party lines.
Just because a party supports it, doesn't mean citizens are going to do it. Parties don't vote as a whole, citizens vote individually.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:23   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

skywalker,

I understand where you are comming from. I just feel that most of those who are Independant will not join your party on principle. And most of those IN parties are there to stay.

Parties host candidates, yes, but INDIVIDUALS are the ones who must wake up and live with who they voted for. If some are not strong enough to follow their gut, and strictly follow party lines, they must live with that.

That being said, if you would like to compose a letter to my paper, I will print it. If yo want it in the Party section, pm me and I will give you the format. Time is of the essence, though, as my edition is nearing completion.

GRRR, beat me again

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 12, 2002, 22:24   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

skywalker, it appears as if the whole purpose of this party is trying to make a party for sir ralph.

making a party for sir ralph makes you the biggest oxymoron of them all.

and no ones forcing people to vote along party lines in any way. hell, 3/4 of our party will probably vote for sir ralph, because he really is the better man for the job. all of the points you made have either dont exist or are worked out.

and why would independents need soemthing to declare that they are independent? it makes no sense at all.

good luck with your "party" or whatever you want to call it, but if you want to sit there and point a finger at parties, don't ever think of comming back to one.

and while im on this rant, I'd like to publicly denounce you.

The fact that you said you weren't a warmonger makes me laugh to no end. Who ruined a turnchat by screaming "ATTACK THE FRENCH SETTLER! WAR WAR WAR!". surely you recall that. sounds like a peaceloving person. i'm suprised you weren't in the DIA.

That little fiasco was caused a huge dent in your public image, of public opinion of you, of public opion OF THE PARTY (UFC), and to make matters worse, it was before an election where you were running for the UFC.

Most of the UFC (if not all) were completely shocked at your attitude / actions during the turnchat, and there was even quiet discussion of replacing you as our candidate, and even talks of removign you from the party entirely, because simply, you (or at least your online persona) are an ass.

you made the party look bad, and now you sit there and talk down at the party system as a whole. good job.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:26   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, I don't want an advertisement. I don't want to champion ideals. I don't want anyone in this party who doesn't join because they actually think this way.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:29   #9
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I was thinking of a letter to the editor voicing your opinion on parties and thier destructive nature. You will see the party section isas neutral as possible as well, no advertisements.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 12, 2002, 22:35   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Uber -

I'm trying to fix my mistakes. You are blasting me for it. That's your right, but I disagree with your opinions.

Unorthodox -

Possibly next edition. I'll have to think about it.
Old July 12, 2002, 23:29   #11
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 20:14
Traitor! No one crosses the Hawk party! I hope your party actually becomes a real party. Damn the two party system, its so boring.
Old July 13, 2002, 00:11   #12
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

this is the second time Skywalker has withdrawn membership for a party.

But an independant party IS an oxy moron.
Old July 13, 2002, 00:22   #13
Flip McWho
Warlord

Local Time: 16:14
Quote:
screaming "ATTACK THE FRENCH SETTLER! WAR WAR WAR!".
i'm sorry this is actually quite funny.

i supppose i shouldn't encourage though.

Quote:
and no ones forcing people to vote along party lines in any way.
how can they neway. hack ur computer if u don't they don't even know who ur've voted for.

(i made chieftain)(yay for me)
Old July 13, 2002, 00:32   #14
Ninot
Emperor

this reminds me of the Planet Neutral from an episode of Futurama (dont ask me why).. and a great quote just before the planet is going to explode....

"Tell my wife I said... hello"
Old July 13, 2002, 01:14   #15
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I then propose the Independent Extremists Party. We are way off either way, and absolutely hate the guys in the middle. Liberty or death, Slavery or death, either way, join the party! [/sarcasm]
Old July 13, 2002, 04:11   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:14
skywalker, I appreciate what you are trying to do and have been similarly annoyed with the partisan nature of posts by many in our Democracy. However I do not believe this attempt will work (as evidenced by the above, HIGHLY sceptical posts ).

Many here believe that the party endorsements of certain candidates does not mean any member will necessarily vote for them - I may disagree vehemently with this but until we have a disaster in Government there is little evidence to support this line of reasoning.

I commend your intention, but advise you don't try such methods that would allow some further ammunition against you to bring up in public debates here. It seems that some have a low opinion of you, and perhaps you can convince them otherwise by continuing to post sensibly and intelligently. This thread has certainly raised my opinion of you - many have complained of the party tactics, but no-one that I have seen has been arsed to do anything about it, but you.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 13, 2002, 04:35   #17
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
I would advise that you remain independent. If you form a party that goes around saying, "Look at us, we're independent!", that's not independence.

In the real world, plenty of people are not registered to any one party (including me and my family). It seems oxymoronic to have a party for people who are not members of any party.
Old July 13, 2002, 07:20   #18
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
this reminds me of the Planet Neutral from an episode of Futurama (dont ask me why).. and a great quote just before the planet is going to explode....

"Tell my wife I said... hello"
Yeah, that was a good episode
Old July 13, 2002, 07:56   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

Mr President -

We aren't proclaiming anything. This party doesn't do that. We don't do things in the name of the party, we do them independently. The whole point of this party is to give people a way to be independent without leaving the security of the party system, and to draw the real moderates out of the extremist DIA and UFC.
Old July 13, 2002, 15:25   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

who does being independednt give them "a way to be independent without leaving the security of the party system", if you're not voting as a party in the system. it makes no sense.

it's like ure trying to make IND a party, it serves no purpose.
Old July 13, 2002, 19:16   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

It does serve a purpose. To many people feel that they need to join a party. This is a compromise between being in a party and acting independent. If you have a suggestion on how this idea could be improved, please tell us. If not, please stop with the unconstructive criticism.
Old July 14, 2002, 10:47   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

*bump*
Old July 14, 2002, 10:55   #23
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:14
I'm imagining what a "compromise between acting independent and being in a prty" is. The IND leader decides that all independant should vote DIA in the city planner election. And all INDs vote blindly to follow party discipline
Old July 14, 2002, 11:07   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, we DON'T VOTE AS A BLOC!!!!!!!!!!!! READ THE FIRST POST!!!!!

God, I HATE it when people do this.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:31   #25
Ninot
Emperor

ok, i got this question then

If I am an independant, and i dont really feel i want a party, is there any reason for me to join this party?
Old July 14, 2002, 11:44   #26
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, but if you're in the DIA or UFC, and you want to be more independent and less extremist, then you should join. People who are independent already don't need this party.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:46   #27
Ninot
Emperor

so this is a defection party for people who are from parties already?

but what I am asking is like, what if i am DIA and dont want to be in ANY parties? then why would this party appeal to any non-party independants.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:48   #28
Kuciwalker
Deity

If you don't want to be in any parties, then you wouldn't be in the DIA. Right now, most people want to be in a party, but they might not like partisan politics or the extremism of the two major parties. This broadens their choices and is as close as we will probably ever get to eliminating parties altogether.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:49   #29
Timeline
King

LOL, leave it to skywalker to form a "defection" party
Old July 14, 2002, 11:50   #30
Kuciwalker
Deity

Timeline -

That's another example of partisan politics. You are taking words that someone else said about me and making it look like I said them.