Old July 13, 2002, 00:06   #1
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CIV3: What's the point.
It's such a dissapointment. Sure, it's eye-candy, graphics prettier than SMAC, but gameplay-wise, it's so bloody dissatisfying. There's not even a multiplayer option.

Now this isn't a post to bash civ3.
i would love to play the game, if weren't so dissapointing.

What i want to get out of posting this is, how do you people who still play it make it fun and enjoyable? What do you do to make your gameplay more interesting?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 13, 2002, 00:23   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This has been covered ad naseum. Do a search through the previous threads, and you'll see the arguments going back and forth. EVERYTHING on this topic has been covered, and there's no need to keep rehashing it.

Just read the previous threads. I, for one, am sick of the ongoing drama. If you don't like the game, that's your right, but the constant whining about it is starting to spoil it for those of us who do enjoy it.

Find a game you do like and go discuss that. There's nothing new to be added here.
Old July 13, 2002, 00:29   #3
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
This has been covered ad naseum. Do a search through the previous threads, and you'll see the arguments going back and forth. EVERYTHING on this topic has been covered, and there's no need to keep rehashing it.
I'm too lazy

Quote:
Just read the previous threads. I, for one, am sick of the ongoing drama. If you don't like the game, that's your right, but the constant whining about it is starting to spoil it for those of us who do enjoy it.
I'm not whining. I want to enjoy it. I see people who do enjoy it. I want to know why they're different. How can I be like that as well. Since you enjoy it, do, tell me why.

Quote:
Find a game you do like and go discuss that...
Done that as well.

You really should understand my post before you impale me on a stake.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 13, 2002, 00:36   #4
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza

I'm too lazy
Oh, well then...

We're all just too lazy to go into it again, for the BILLIONTH time.

Quote:
I'm not whining. I want to enjoy it. I see people who do enjoy it. I want to know why they're different. How can I be like that as well. Since you enjoy it, do, tell me why.
I want people to stop moaning and groaning about the game. I want to win the lottery. There's a lot of things we want, but shucks, we just can't have them.

No one will be able to explain to you which personal quirk makes it incapable for you to enjoy the game. Beyond the scope of a message board. So why waste your time on it?
Old July 13, 2002, 00:38   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:14
IR, MP is coming late this year or early the next.

They hope Q4 2002. Don't be disappointed if it is Q1 2003.

As far as more interesting game play... not sure what you find disinteresting since you didn't state it. However, different map types, different difficulty levels, mods for the modern era. These things can radically alter the game play.
Old July 13, 2002, 01:00   #6
Ben Williams
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:14
Ya know, if you don't want this guy to complain just ignore him and his post will go away, geez.

(Yes I'm aware of the irony of saying do not post by posting it on the same thread so you don't have to point it out.)
Old July 13, 2002, 01:02   #7
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I want people to stop moaning and groaning about the game. I want to win the lottery. There's a lot of things we want, but shucks, we just can't have them.
Hey, if you can enjoy it, so can I. Hence all the questions which you fail to see the point of me asking.
Old July 13, 2002, 01:08   #8
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Williams
Ya know, if you don't want this guy to complain just ignore him and his post will go away, geez.

(Yes I'm aware of the irony of saying do not post by posting it on the same thread so you don't have to point it out.)
Smart guy! I like you already. So what is it you like best about civ3? I have to admit, paying with gold instead of shields is a whole lot better than the earlier civ
Old July 13, 2002, 01:22   #9
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

Hey, if you can enjoy it, so can I. Hence all the questions which you fail to see the point of me asking.
Because it's been answered before...a BILLION times. It just gets old. Nothing personal, but it is very tiresome to rehash the same fight over and over and over and over and over and over...
Old July 13, 2002, 01:23   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:14
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Iskandar, I'll take a shot.

I've played lots of different kinds of games, from first person shooters, to space / flight sims, to RTS, to historical / warfare sims (but not Sims, thank you very much). And a bunch of lesser concepts too.

Don't know about you, but I've a limit on the time I can spend gaming. In fact, Apolyton is kind of screwing me up, as I never did the 'community' think before, and, although enjoying it tremendously, I spend far too high a proportion of my time on things Civ3.

So, all that said, why do I like Civ3?

I talked about this with my fiance last night... she asked me, HOW can you spend so much time on Civ, you're starting a new business and don;t have any time to begin with, is it worth giving up a couple of hours of sleep every night, etc. etc. (She also knows enough about the game to say: What, you got a thing about how good Aeson is? I swear!).

My answer was simple: I live a complex, and sometimes stressful, life, like any of us. When I want a break, watching some POS sitcom on TV doesn't do it for me. In fact, chess and Go don;t do it for me. There is nothing like the complexity of a 'world game' to absorb my mind.

So then, which one? Can;t really comment on the others... I got into the Civ series pre-Civ, with Empire. Now that I'm here, I can put up with some of the shortcomings, especially given Firaxis' track record thus far.

Short version: 'World games' are the most interesting and compelling choice in gaming. Everything else is for kids. Civ3 is currently the most advanced version in the historical genre. There are still flaws, but we are in a process of evolution. The joy of the game has not been handed to the customer, but it's there.

If that's not good enough for you, wait for PTW, and I'll show you first hand how much fun it is.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 13, 2002, 01:27   #11
Dan Severn
Chieftain

If you don't enjoy this, why do you feel the urge to visit this forum?

More to the point, quit complaining about generalities. If you have a specific problem, explain it. If not, get a life.
¡Mueran todos los Reyes!
Old July 13, 2002, 01:41   #12
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Bingo! 10 points to Theseus!

The complexity of a world game. When you play Civ, you can actually imagine yourself being in that particular era, being the leader of a tribe, nation, civilization. You can imagine your column of catapults rolling towards the enemy, guarded by a legion of swordsmen backed by archers, while a band of workers cut a path through the jungles blocking your way.

Sorry I had to do this to you guys, but I need it for my grade. It's all a psych experiment, to see people's responses to blatant trolls. I would've continued, but I'm just too nice to continue taunting you guys....

Don't take it personally. I enjoy Civ3 too, not as much as SMAC, but I still play it quite often.

Where I find enjoyment in it? Playing on a huge map with 17 other civs, and being totally isolated on an island in the middle of the ocean. Gotta restart a lot of times to get that though, but when I do, it's an utter challege to bring this backward, obscure people to the forefront.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:06   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:14
Quote:
Bingo! 10 points to Theseus!

The complexity of a world game. When you play Civ, you can actually imagine yourself being in that particular era, being the leader of a tribe, nation, civilization. You can imagine your column of catapults rolling towards the enemy, guarded by a legion of swordsmen backed by archers, while a band of workers cut a path through the jungles blocking your way.

Sorry I had to do this to you guys, but I need it for my grade. It's all a psych experiment, to see people's responses to blatant trolls. I would've continued, but I'm just too nice to continue taunting you guys....

Don't take it personally. I enjoy Civ3 too, not as much as SMAC, but I still play it quite often.

Where I find enjoyment in it? Playing on a huge map with 17 other civs, and being totally isolated on an island in the middle of the ocean. Gotta restart a lot of times to get that though, but when I do, it's an utter challege to bring this backward, obscure people to the forefront.
*sigh* This entire thread is
Old July 13, 2002, 03:25   #14
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
A physch experiment to blantant trolls, right. Too nice to continue with what is just an experiment, but not nice enough never to pull the lame bull**** in the first place. This annoys the hell outta me, even "fake" trolls. So this is your experiment? One persons stupidity X anger of recipients of said stupidity. Great experiment.
Old July 13, 2002, 03:49   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

IR is now successfully making a troll of a troll...

I wonder when he will announce that the 2nd troll is the real troll...
Old July 13, 2002, 04:21   #16
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 06:14
markg's rule #5241 on effective communication: when you want people to tell what they like about something, dont start with a title and a large part of your post on how you dont like that something...