Old July 13, 2002, 01:55   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
something that needs to be abolished
Hello

This is the first time I've been in the Democracy Game forum in almost a month. You see, after I lost to civman in the election for Finance Minister, I left being a sore loser. I have finally come back, and I have noticed a problem of our government that has carried over into this one. The party system.

Today in our government, the party system is not what our founding fathers thought it would be. People nowadays just vote for the candidate of their party. And have you noticed that almost all democrats have the same opinions as other democrats? And the same w/republicans and other parties? People's opinions are based on the party's opinions, not what they believe in. Almost all republican senators agree with Bush on his policies while democrats oppose him? They don't agree with him because they believe in it, it's because he's their party.

This is now a part of the Civ3 Democracy Game. All the candidates have parties, and people of that party will vote for them. Not because they believe he or she is best fit for that position but he is their party. Please help me in the war to abolish a fault in this great game.

John
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 13, 2002, 01:58   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I feel that people will vote their conscience, at least as far as official elections. I don't think it's as much of a problem as you see it to be. It's mostly for fun, and for people to think they're important.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:00   #3
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
If you check, not all the candidates have parties. IND means independent. While several people have pretended to make an independent party, we laughed at them. We think by now they know why.

Not only that, but at least one independent is winning. I am independent, and I plan on seeking some sort of position somewhere eventually.

It's up to the people in the political parties to realize their political party pretty much means nothing but an organization where people loosely share the same ideals, but that doesn't say that for a certain position you wouldn't rather someone of a different party.

I just hope we don't fall into a two party system, but I think we are smarter than that.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:00   #4
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Party politics have become a factor, true.. but not as strong as you think.

Many UFC candidates (and myself) have declared themselves neutral voters.

I'll say right now that I have voted for some UFC candidates in this election.

I joined a party because i have likewise thoughts, not because i wanted more votes, or an easier way to vote. Its just easier than having 300 indepedants all shouting ideas.. so much easier to pop in and go "hey, DIA rules!"

Party politics ARE evil, but not so much here as you think.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:00   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:14
Re: something that needs to be abolished
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
Hello

This is the first time I've been in the Democracy Game forum in almost a month. You see, after I lost to civman in the election for Finance Minister, I left being a sore loser. I have finally come back, and I have noticed a problem of our government that has carried over into this one. The party system.

Today in our government, the party system is not what our founding fathers thought it would be. People nowadays just vote for the candidate of their party. And have you noticed that almost all democrats have the same opinions as other democrats? And the same w/republicans and other parties? People's opinions are based on the party's opinions, not what they believe in. Almost all republican senators agree with Bush on his policies while democrats oppose him? They don't agree with him because they believe in it, it's because he's their party.

This is now a part of the Civ3 Democracy Game. All the candidates have parties, and people of that party will vote for them. Not because they believe he or she is best fit for that position but he is their party. Please help me in the war to abolish a fault in this great game.

John
There is one fatal error in this. Parties cannot be apolished, no matter what you do. People with common interests will always unite.

People who are builders will most likely join the DIA because the DIA believes in a building strategy. Meanwhile people who are (for lack of a better word) warmongers willl join the UFC most likely, as they place a heavier emphasis on military.

Even if you 'abolish' parties, people will still have their loyalties. They will still discuss with party memberes about party ideals. They will still unite with those whom they relate to.

So this war to abolish parties cannot be one, because again parties cannot be abolished.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:21   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:14
I would say it would be better if people were banned from saying go [insert party name here] from election poll threads. There's gotta be one place the voter should be able to get away from that... stuff. The polling booth is it.

I find it tacky, personally. And I can say that my opinion of the DIA is being effected by how much they are beginning to earn a weasel as a mascot.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:27   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I would say it would be better if people were banned from saying go [insert party name here] from election poll threads. There's gotta be one place the voter should be able to get away from that... stuff. The polling booth is it.

I find it tacky, personally. And I can say that my opinion of the DIA is being effected by how much they are beginning to earn a weasel as a mascot.
i concur. parties shouldnt broadcast as much as they do.
Old July 13, 2002, 09:51   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'm in the DIA, but I vote for who I think is the best. I do this in RL politics too. However, just as in RL politics I usually end up voting for democrats anyway because I share their belief, I usually vote for the DIA. However, I have voted for 2 independents and 1 UFC member

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 13, 2002, 12:00   #9
Timeline
King

The first party here was the Imperialists. And they dominated.

The DIA was simply created to give people of other faith a strong representation in our government. It was founded to create a balance of power so that no one party would walk over our nation.

I have stated many times, if the UFC would like to negotiate disbandment of its parties then we (the DIA) would do the same.

Somehow, however, I dont think the UFC parties would ever agree to this... and so our nation is left in an exhaustive struggle of party competitiveness.
Old July 13, 2002, 12:11   #10
Edrix

It seems like there are only a few that outright oppose the party they're against. Most party members don't vote in the bloc, and actually vote based on the candidates' platforms and their supposed competence.
And don't forget that a lot of citizens are independent (or completely absent from the game...)
I usually try to ignore the party abbreviations next to a candidate's name, and vote based on campaign information, and I think most citizens do the same. Party politics in the demo game aren't that much of a problem; it's only when some people take it too far that something must be done.

Old July 14, 2002, 03:38   #11
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I vote for/against the candidate. I go by what they have said compared to what they have actually done, or said in other venues.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:35   #12
Proserpine
Warlord

Local Time: 04:14
For this reason I formed the Non-Alligned Tendency (NAT), natural successor to STOP. We should work in a democratic & bipartisan way towards ultimate victory, without being stiffled by the straightjacket of so-called "parties".

Others would disagree. That is their right under our Code
Old July 16, 2002, 14:39   #13
Robber Baron
Prince

Personally? I love the parties. Not that they structure my voting -- I vote all over the map, actually.
But I belong to one (it's in my sig). Partisanship is fun, it helps organize all you virtual creatures out there, lines you up in my thinking -- not as purely party creatures, but as individual political voices. It fortifies the role playing aspect of the demogame. It creates cohesion among a body politic that is otherwise disembodied and often hard to grasp. Not to mention, it creates great opportunities for soap opera-style intrigue.
Old July 16, 2002, 17:37   #14
GePap
Emperor

I agree with baron on the issue of parties. I think it adds to the reality of the game: the one thing civ3 left out (and all civ games have left out) is internal politics of class, relegion, so forth that is as central to any cv and state as external politics. How much of any countries history involves internal warring?

If some people don't like parties, ignore them, if some people like them, follow them.
Heck, Why not create two distinct 'relegions' for our little game, just to ADD to the internal politickin? It might be fun......
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 16, 2002, 17:42   #15
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I ran heavily on an anti party stance and lost horribly.

I also didn't campaign very though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 16, 2002, 17:44   #16
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
I have stated many times, if the UFC would like to negotiate disbandment of its parties then we (the DIA) would do the same.

Somehow, however, I dont think the UFC parties would ever agree to this... and so our nation is left in an exhaustive struggle of party competitiveness.
I don't think it's anywhere near as hopeless as Timeline seems to portray.

The UFC was formed as response to the DIA, but the UFC is just an alliance betwen the Hawks and Imperialists who have two separate and distinct agendas. Those two factions would happily split if the alliance no longer needed to exist. Just ask 'em.

But... I don't see any reason why any political party would want to disband, DIA or UFC for that matter. There's power in numbers, and they'd be giving that up. Plus it's rather interesting to see the political parties battle it out with each other. I don't want to see them done away with.

--Togas
Old July 16, 2002, 17:44   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:14
That's what my Civ3 Roleplaying Game idea is for.
Old July 17, 2002, 00:57   #18
trevor
Warlord

I agree with you guys that want to keep the parties. For what I can tell many people don't vote down party lines. For instance I voted for 2 UFC candiates (Trip, UberKruX) and 2 indipendents(Sir Ralph, Punkbass). I find that the party system helps me to keeps track of the various candiates. Also I think no one should be allowed to post in election threads, a lot of it is drivel or electioneering which isn't good by any strech of the mind.
Old July 17, 2002, 06:07   #19
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:14
Re: something that needs to be abolished
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
This is now a part of the Civ3 Democracy Game. All the candidates have parties, and people of that party will vote for them. Not because they believe he or she is best fit for that position but he is their party.
This is a gross oversimplification which is at best highly inaccurate.

I think most of us do vote for whomever we think is the best candidate for that job at that time. For instance, I'm DIA myself, and I have repeatedly voted against DIA candidates. Not because I don't agree with my party, but because I also think for myself and the other guy seemed better at that particular time and place.