View Poll Results: Do you want to see campainging posts in election threads?
Yes. It doesn't hurt anyone. 24 66.67%
No. It's unnecessary. 10 27.78%
As long as they involve bananas! 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13, 2002, 08:41   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Separation of Campaign and Poll
This is the first thread I started in this forum, so I hope I'm doing it right.

There was some discussion in the Presidential election thread about campaign-related posts in election threads. So, per Timeline's advice, I'm asking: Do we need it?

If it's allowed, it might give candidates one last chance to influence the voters, which would be good for them but might not be desirable for the average poll junkie. But if it's disallowed, and the voter cannot find a related campaign thread, it might be harder for them to make a decision.
Old July 13, 2002, 09:15   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think a handy link to the campaing thread would have been sufficient. If I had read them more closely when grabbing links, I would have included campaing links in the paper...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 13, 2002, 11:09   #3
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:15
I think that we should have campainging posts in the election threads as it gives the voters a chance to see a summary of the candidates rather than trawling through a long campaign thread. I think that each candidate should give a small summary paragraph and then give a detailed account of his policies in each election thread.
Old July 13, 2002, 11:21   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Perhaps a summary is warrented, but the polls are not a place for debates to errupt. If so, the Summary should be included in the first post, to preserve its unbias nature. That way, one candidate cannot post his, and have party members spam the thread to put his opposition way down the page.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 14, 2002, 03:27   #5
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

It is like IRL, no politicking too close to the voting booth. You can't be campaigning too near the booth. Same principle deserves to be here.

If I am interested in your spiel, I will go to the campaign thread. Usually, I have decided based on what I have seen you post, as to whether or not I am going to vote for you.

I don't even read the election posts usually for this reason.

I vote for the person, not the party. By the same token, I vote for the person based on what they have said in other posts, not what campaign speeches they have made.
Old July 14, 2002, 03:32   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Separation of Campaign and Poll
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
This is the first thread I started in this forum, so I hope I'm doing it right.

There was some discussion in the Presidential election thread about campaign-related posts in election threads. So, per Timeline's advice, I'm asking: Do we need it?

If it's allowed, it might give candidates one last chance to influence the voters, which would be good for them but might not be desirable for the average poll junkie. But if it's disallowed, and the voter cannot find a related campaign thread, it might be harder for them to make a decision.
No, I dont like looking in a poll to see a nice debate with the candidates, and then have to open another browser.

Call me lazy, but I just don't like it.
Old July 14, 2002, 03:35   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
i believe the first post (started by the president) should contain a summary of the persons platform. perhaps we should draw up a "standard" platform for each office.

i dont mine having the raw information easier to see, but the "DIA RULES", or "UFC UFC UFC!" in the threads, and all the bashing, shouldt be there.

*note i bash both parties as well as skywalkers stupid thig he wants to call a party
Old July 14, 2002, 03:37   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well... The polls could be locked threads. Would that still allow voting in the poll? Would the gods be willing to coordinate?

To be honest, I don't think the candidates are the problem. The level of party noise might be though.
Old July 14, 2002, 03:38   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Well... The polls could be locked threads. Would that still allow voting in the poll? Would the gods be willing to coordinate?

To be honest, I don't think the candidates are the problem. The level of party noise might be though.
i think that locked threads cannot be voted on. i'm fairly sure of that.
Old July 14, 2002, 03:40   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, the scorn of the people to mentions of parties would serve just as well.
Old July 14, 2002, 07:57   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:15
UnOrthO and Uber have it bang on. A summary from each candidate on their merits (not referring to other candidates or past Ministers) should be included in the poll thread, a link to the campaign threads, and that's it.

Let's make these threads flame-retardant, eh?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 14, 2002, 11:25   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
GOD****IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WON'T LET ME VOTE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with MWIA, and I think that's a good metaphor
Old July 14, 2002, 12:46   #13
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Perhaps a summary is warrented, but the polls are not a place for debates to errupt. If so, the Summary should be included in the first post, to preserve its unbias nature. That way, one candidate cannot post his, and have party members spam the thread to put his opposition way down the page.
I like this idea. Should I win, I'll have all of the candidates PM or email me a short version of their agenda to put into the election threads next time.
Old July 14, 2002, 14:22   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 14, 2002, 14:32   #15
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Trip cracks you over the head with a metal pipe...

There ya go.
Old July 14, 2002, 16:49   #16
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

He is a member of the citizenship; I would expect better from our leader.

I prefer only the candidates being named. When I go to vote, I don't see flyers about the candidate at the voting site, and there's a reason for it. If I want to know what they stand for/against, I can read their posts as well as the campaign tripe they have put out. But, as the saying goes: actions speak louder than words.
Old July 14, 2002, 18:20   #17
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
He is a member of the citizenship; I would expect better from our leader.
I'm sorry mommy, I won't do it again, I pwomise.
Old July 14, 2002, 18:29   #18
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

A link to the campaign thread would be nice.

I don't think canadates should give more then a summary in the election thread but I also say that we shouldn't stop them from doing more. They should have the right to post whatever they want.

Sell your photos
Old July 14, 2002, 21:08   #19
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 05:15
These elections reeks... There is no link to see the candidates own posts or the campaign. And some do not show up in time to post in the election thread either!

Who the "#¤"# do I vote for then? The same I voted for last month?
Old July 15, 2002, 05:37   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:15
TPR - just vote for the one everyone else is voting for. Either that or the one that is in your preferred party.

Simple really.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 15, 2002, 06:10   #21
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Candidates should only be allowed to post a summary statement of, well pretty much whatever they want to post. There should also be a link to the thread where the actual campaigning has been conducted. As there is no limit to the number of posts that the candidates can submit, I will abstain.
Old July 15, 2002, 14:01   #22
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I look at it as a continuation of the campain thread. Or as the replacement. I don't see what the harm is in allowing it to continue as such.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 15, 2002, 14:22   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

The harm is that voters who haven't seen the stuff can get swayed by whoever happens to post first in the election thread.