Old July 13, 2002, 15:01   #1
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anti invasion stuff
i found that marines are almost totaly useless!
So how about a speicle fort that prevents invasions from normal units, and the only units that can attack them are marines from the sea. You don't need to place a unit in them, and you don't pay for maintinence. When marines manage to attack them they destroy them and normal units can be droped onto the beach!
these are on the side of whoevers boarders they're in!

This would make for some good full on landing zones! They'd also be easily destroyed from behind or from the side (With a slight chance that the men in the fort pulling the gun out the door in the back and blowing the attackers away but this would be rare!)
Old July 13, 2002, 15:06   #2
HazieDaVampire
King

they can only be built on squares next to sea!
Old July 14, 2002, 00:43   #3
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
And where do we see these forts in real life? Theres no real world comparison. If you think marines are useless, don't use them.
Old July 14, 2002, 01:25   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
maries are very useful if you get them first (you have a 2-5 tech lead).

against riflemen, marines can be a godsed. they also hadle infantry fairly well. mech inf is where they become "obsolete" so to speak.

if they were implimented earlier (ie before infantry, after riflemen) they would be used a lot more.
Old July 14, 2002, 10:56   #5
HazieDaVampire
King

Well i think having to invade an island surrounded in these would be cool, a little hard but cool!
Old July 14, 2002, 10:59   #6
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:15
marines are the only units you can use when invading a city on a one-square island (unless you add lethal bombardement in a mod).
Old July 14, 2002, 11:40   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

yes, i know! hense the word, almost!
Old July 14, 2002, 12:13   #8
Quasar1011
Warlord

Local Time: 23:15
I made one map (see MAPS: the Star Series) where you HAD to use marines to obtain uranium! This is what I mean: I placed all the uranium on a small island. The island was very mountainous, and every square in contact with the coast had a barbarian encampment on it. I also placed these encampments in forts. Over the years, the number of barbarians grew, until they were filling the island with several units per square! Now, you could soften the barb camps/forts with naval bombardment, but the only land units that could attack were the marines! I lost tons of marines until I finally cleared enough land to build a city there. After that, I brought in tanks, and had a monopoly on uranium. One needs to think creatively when designing maps and scenarios, and I certainly didn't leave out the need for marines!
Old July 14, 2002, 12:23   #9
Palleon
Warlord

The only problem with that scenario is, I don't think the AI would realize what it had to do to get to that island. The AI I think doesn't understand how to use marines, even if it gets them. By the time most people get marines though, most people have mech infantry, so those 1 tile island cities are near invincible, since you need a combination air/naval strike to weaken it. Plus I just don't think the AI knows what marines do, I've never seen them build them.

Edit: Someone had a thread a while back about a really good way to use marines defensivly, and I agree. If you make enough to completely cover your shores (need a relatively small island for this, or lots of free time), then no one will ever be able to land, because the AI won't make marines. Plus you have the added bonus of being able to attack ships that get close, and since the marines have a fairly good attack stat, it is able to kill most ships (I'm actually not sure if thise works, I've never used a marine to attack a ship, I'm just assuming, if anyone knows one way or the other I'd like to know).
Old July 15, 2002, 04:08   #10
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Marines can attack ships? Hmmm....that is quite interesting. I did not know that. Anyways, why build marines when you can build tanks? I have always found Marines useless in civ games. I rarely, if ever built them in Civ2. And I rarely if ever built them in CTP2. I have found that massing tanks/armor is the most effective way to win any land war, and massing battleships is the best way to own the seas. I go for the uberunits because they only have one weakness: high cost. And once you overcome that barrier, there is nothing to stop them.
Old July 18, 2002, 04:05   #11
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:15
Re: Anti invasion stuff
Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
i found that marines are almost totaly useless!
My friend actually did a uni thesis on the marines and came up with just that. This is not because they're bad soldiers but the US army and navy these days can do it all themselves.

In Civ terms I've never used them. I think they should be turned into a unque unit, an advanced infantry.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 18, 2002, 04:17   #12
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
Marines can attack ships?
That was one of their original purposes apparantly, back during the revolution, I think my friend said. Those were frigates though.

I wouldn't mind that if the navy was better!
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 18, 2002, 12:30   #13
Palleon
Warlord

You know the marines ARE part of the navy...and they're the only ones who did ground fighting in WW2 for the Americans? Useless my ass.
Old July 18, 2002, 12:37   #14
HazieDaVampire
King

1, i was talking about the ones in the game
2, The Airborne did ground fighting! They don't jump out of planes for nothing.
3, 'Marines' doesn't just mean American Marines
4, I said almost!
5, The MP's might of did somthing!
Old July 18, 2002, 18:46   #15
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Palleon
You know the marines ARE part of the navy...and they're the only ones who did ground fighting in WW2 for the Americans? Useless my ass.
I mean now, mate - they're 'redundant', I wouldn't try taking anything away from them in WW2 (they sufferred the most losses cause they were always the first to invade Jap controlled islands) . And they are considered a 'seperate force'.

I just dont understand why marines are not the EXACT opposite of infantry - they are 2 points less in attack than infantry are in defence.
Old July 18, 2002, 18:50   #16
HazieDaVampire
King

maby its cuz they're a meat grinder unit?
Loads of'em die before the objectives taken!
Old July 18, 2002, 19:26   #17
NeoStar
Warlord

Meat grinder, eh?

You're thinking those starcraft type games - just pour em out and watch them be slaughtered

Doesn't work as well in civ cause its one on one and the defender will probably heal next turn.
Old August 10, 2002, 18:44   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
hi ,

, what about a wonder , "atlantic wall" , it would double the defense from a fortress next to a coastal tile , ....

have a nice day
Old August 10, 2002, 18:59   #19
HazieDaVampire
King

lol, i'd like to see a machine gun fort unit!