View Poll Results: Is air force and the navy important?
Yes, Very 21 42.00%
Bannana 8 16.00%
No, not at all 7 14.00%
Some what 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13, 2002, 15:28   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 21:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CivIII Navy and Air force
In civ3 I found there is basicly no importance with ships and planes except for bombardment and transport. In real life air and sea dominance is as importand as land dominace if not more. I would also like someone who could teach me alot of things about civ3 not basic but advanced like in strategy.
Old July 13, 2002, 16:18   #2
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm British, i pride my self on my Navy, and my mainland always has a massive airforce decated to sinking enemy ships that might coarse a threat, i also have 4 Aircraft carreirs per campaign if i'm at war with 3+ civs!
Old July 13, 2002, 16:19   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

oh, a tip, if you don't think your gunna hold a city, don't put aircraft in it!
Old July 13, 2002, 16:24   #4
HazieDaVampire
King

With a carrier full of bombers just off the coast you can cut off an enemys capital without using a nuke (Using a nuke an enemys capital cripples their eco, but theirs a posibility that another civ will fire one at you and declare war!).
Old July 13, 2002, 18:32   #5
Tassadar500
Emperor

But you can win a war with them. in the real world its much more more important
Old July 13, 2002, 19:47   #6
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:15
Re: CivIII Navy and Air force
Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
In civ3 I found there is basicly no importance with ships and planes except for bombardment and transport. In real life air and sea dominance is as importand as land dominace if not more. I would also like someone who could teach me alot of things about civ3 not basic but advanced like in strategy.
Your poll is unclear and amiguous.

OF COURSE Navy and air force are important - but not to Firaxis. In Civ 3 they are pitifully abstracted and simplified, especially the naval aspect.

Submarines and privateers should, for example, be able to attack enemy merchant shipping and trade - their true role. But in Civ 3 they can't.

In Civ 3 the main role of naval appears to be bombarding improvements - very tedious. In reality, only battleships would have that capability. The idea that the old cannon on frigates could destroy mines miles from the coastline is ludicrous. But that's Civ 3.

I was hoping for a really good WW II Pacific scenario with Civ 3. What I got was worse naval warfare compared to Civ 2 - and no scenarios at all.
Old July 13, 2002, 21:18   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:15
For once, I must agree with Coracle, though I'm not so passionate about it.

Air forces and navies are terribly underpowered in the game, which makes things somewhat interesting. Another problem is the amount of time between upgrades... it's easy to go straight from Galleys to Ironclads before you even get a chance to build a ship in between. Not a very good way to represent the age of exploration and navigation.
Old July 14, 2002, 01:34   #8
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Navy is important because if you play on one of the higher levels, the AI will destroy all your coastal development with their ships if you don't have a navy to protect your coast.

I like building air units too, but I have found that they miss their target a whole, whole lot more often than I'd like. A navy and an air force are required to take some of the better defended AI cities on higher difficulty levels of the game....well, unless you use artillery instead. But I like the mobility of an air force and a navy better than artillery.
Old July 14, 2002, 02:36   #9
Taso_84
Chieftain

Jet fighters are a joke. In CTP2 interceptors were the best investment because of their versitility and power. In civ3 Jetfighters are useless and anybody who builds them is just dumb because they help u in no way.

They should've made jetfighters like interceptors in CTP2 where they cant bombard but they can just conventionally attack.
Old July 14, 2002, 08:36   #10
snuggs
Chieftain

Just 4 turns passed between my getting Man-o-War (Magnetism) and Ironclad (Steam Power). Not much fun to have your special unit outmoded instantly like that. I agree, Navigation and probably Magnetism should come further down the tree. Ironclad should perhaps come later.

I agree that trade routes should appear on the map and be attackable. One of the very few things CTP got right (although they implemented it horribly).
Old July 14, 2002, 08:47   #11
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 14:15
Ironclads
I have Ironclads available with Corporation.That way they become obsolete pretty quickly (3 advances till Destroyers, 4 till Battleships). But thats cool because I prefer Frigates (even though I rarely build much of a navy before Destroyers/Battleships), and it also makes the English more dangerous on the seas for longer, even more so because I made Man O Wars 4/3/4 (4/1/1).
Old July 14, 2002, 11:08   #12
HazieDaVampire
King

I'd love to be able to destroy the AI's supply routes at sea! send out some german wolf packs (Thats u-boats to those who don't know) and hunt down the supply boats.

They better add merchant navy vessles in civ3, these should be both automatic, and during times of war when the AI is waiting to sink'em, you could take control and tell them to go a different way!
Old July 14, 2002, 14:36   #13
Tassadar500
Emperor

I hope in ptw they fix this. And my poll was not un clear
Old July 14, 2002, 14:37   #14
Tassadar500
Emperor

its obvious i was talking about civ3 not the real world lol
Old July 14, 2002, 14:39   #15
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:15
Quote:
I hope in ptw they fix this. And my poll was not un clear
They're not going to change anything. I talked with Firaxis, and they (Dan) said they liked the way trade is currently conducted, how you can still do a blockade (only if you block ALL coast tiles next to ALL their cities and ALL of their neighbors [since the country you're at war with can trade THROUGH a neighbor, even during war]), so don't expect anything to change.
Old July 14, 2002, 19:49   #16
Tassadar500
Emperor

Guys this is a stupid question but how do you access the editor.
Old July 15, 2002, 03:21   #17
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

ROTFL!

If you are using Windows, click the start button -> programs -> Infogrames Interactive -> Civilization III -> Civ3Edit -> Civ3Edit
Old July 15, 2002, 03:23   #18
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
They're not going to change anything. I talked with Firaxis, and they (Dan) said they liked the way trade is currently conducted, how you can still do a blockade (only if you block ALL coast tiles next to ALL their cities and ALL of their neighbors [since the country you're at war with can trade THROUGH a neighbor, even during war]), so don't expect anything to change.
I kinda like the way trade is conducted right now too. I hated caravans and freights.
Old July 15, 2002, 03:38   #19
Oerdin
Deity

I wish we had a CTP2 system of trade. :-(
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 15, 2002, 07:18   #20
frostycreep
Chieftain

I think the navy is important, especially with me. Im a complete builder who hates war and that means i dont have much time to build land units(too busy building a cathedral or something) Therefore i have to build loads of attacking ships to make sure that no one can even land on my island, so to halt the attack before they even get off there transport. If a country is on the same continent as me however, i have no choice but to try and avoid war(give in to all there demands)
Old July 15, 2002, 11:48   #21
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

The poll needs to be spit in two.

1) Air force
--very important
--somewhat important
--not important
--banana

2) Navy
--very important

etc.

I think an air force is indispensable, but a navy is not. Just build a ship when you need to sink the enemy off your coast. Until they have railroads on the sea, forget building navies on 256x256 maps!
Old July 15, 2002, 12:48   #22
HazieDaVampire
King

i want to sink the sea trade ships, i don't like the idea of land ones, i just want to sink the ones at sea.
Old July 15, 2002, 15:09   #23
Tassadar500
Emperor

What do i do for the editor i have a mac.
Old July 15, 2002, 16:16   #24
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:15
Civ3 painfully underplays planes and navy.

Consider this: If you have a ship near an enemy's city, if they have a harbor, it should not work. No trade by sea. If you have a carrier by an enemy city loaded with bombers, absolutely no trade out of the city should be possible.

In addition: Battleships are massive, and as we now know, are useless in battle, except in the rare case of sea bombardment. A single stealth bomber can destroy a battleship with no problem. (However the game feels otherwise for some reason)

These planes do their bombardment runs, what once a year? Of course not, that bomber is pounding the terrain square for the entire length of the turn-- nothing should be left, no chance of failure, unless the city has anti aircraft equipment.

There is just way too much emphasis on ground troops.

Old July 15, 2002, 18:18   #25
snuggs
Chieftain

CTP's system at least had visible trade routes but like virtually every other aspect of the game I came to hate the mechanics. You know, filing countless complaints to pirating nations every single turn, juggling your freighters around a meaningless matrix, going insane with frustration late in the game as lines sliced here there and everywhere.

I'd like trade routes to appear on the map, in water squares only, and be blockable. Finally a use for the Privateer.
Old July 15, 2002, 22:07   #26
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
What do i do for the editor i have a mac.
The editor currently exists for Windoze, so any solution may involve your purchasing Civ3 for Windows:

1. The Editor works fine in Virtual PC, or
2. Get access to a PC, use the Editor there, then transfer the .bic file to your Mac.

You will have to change the file's "type" and "creator" attributes.
Don't forget to archive your original file.
Old July 15, 2002, 22:10   #27
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Is air force and the navy important?

Try going without them.

I ENJOY jet fighters and performing Recon missions when neighbors are at war.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 16, 2002, 05:23   #28
Deathwalker
Prince

Civ 3 needs to improve the AI use of air and sea power and also give them a mor eimportant role
Old July 16, 2002, 12:16   #29
foo12
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

The editor currently exists for Windoze, so any solution may involve your purchasing Civ3 for Windows
No, no ---- you can just download the PC editor. No need to purchase another copy of Civ3.

And I don't think you need to mess with type/creator codes---Civ3 just looks for the .bic and could care less what the type/creator is, as long as the internal file structure is correct.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:45   #30
Tassadar500
Emperor

were can i download the pc editor