Old July 16, 2002, 03:40   #31
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Ghost of king hydey looks upon our civ and sees that STYOM has done a very good job.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 16, 2002, 04:46   #32
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Local Time: 05:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
The Ghost of king hydey looks upon our civ and sees that STYOM has done a very good job.
the ghost of king Hydey must have a long sight since the .sav file has not yet been d/loaded!

from the top of the mountain

Mr. N.
Old July 16, 2002, 05:32   #33
Hydey
Emperor

The ghost of King Hydey could see it in the wonderfull writings of the great space advisor STYOM.

Old July 16, 2002, 05:33   #34
Hydey
Emperor

The living hydey would not look at the saves until it is his turn to play as that is part of the fun .

Old July 16, 2002, 05:37   #35
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 04:16
Current order

is on the last page ...

Last edited by Scouse Gits; July 18, 2002 at 03:42.
Old July 16, 2002, 05:39   #36
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
The ghost of King Hydey could see it in the wonderfull writings of the great space advisor STYOM.
... I hope the Gost of King Hydey won't find my mountain...

List of things to avoid:
- being burned by one of the "brothers"
- being catched by the Ghost of King Hydey

Always, from the top of the mountain (near to the stars than any other brother ) ...
Mr. N.
Old July 16, 2002, 05:39   #37
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Well played STYOM (I too use mental connection to assess performance)

M le Marquis - if your PC problems are fixed before the end of the round we can move you down to play after MN

SG[1]
Old July 16, 2002, 07:38   #38
El Civ
Warlord

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
Plans are mooted for a deliciously sleazy city at the northern tip of our tiny island.
Could you tell I had that thought in mind based upon where I left the settler? My time ran out but I'd decided not to found a city there either, since it would overlap two others in the process.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:09   #39
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
M le Marquis - if your PC problems are fixed before the end of the round we can move you down to play after MN
I will try to cure the ailing pc in the next day or two. Hopefully all will go smoothly...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 16, 2002, 12:07   #40
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by El Civ

Could you tell I had that thought in mind based upon where I left the settler? My time ran out but I'd decided not to found a city there either, since it would overlap two others in the process.
Pretty much the same, right at the top of the island. 'Deliciously sleazy' definitely implies there is some overlap. That's ok. If we were on a humungous continent, that wouldn't be necessary - but since we started on an island and the first land I found was an even smaller island, it seemed worth it. Besides, fundy seems to call for ICS

The only times I strictly avoid overlap are cases where I have a designated SSC/Trade city and lots of space.

The only tip I might have, El Civ, would be to have left the barracks for later. I don't build many improvements in the early game, anyway - with us alone on an island a barracks is superfluous early on. Better to have made a caravan, settler, or horse for exploring. IMO, anyway.

Thanks for the kudos everyone !

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old July 16, 2002, 14:50   #41
El Civ
Warlord

Quote:
The only tip I might have, El Civ, would be to have left the barracks for later. I don't build many improvements in the early game, anyway - with us alone on an island a barracks is superfluous early on. Better to have made a caravan, settler, or horse for exploring. IMO, anyway.
My thinking was to have one city that could produce vet military units if the need arose, but your point makes perfect sense and is well taken. Thanks for the pointer

Old July 17, 2002, 04:28   #42
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Priests in space

From the mountain.

Brothers (and sisters), the goal of our prosperous kingdom - that soon will become the healty land of God - is to reach the stars... and that should be a good trial for our "group-abilities".
But, sitted on the top of the mountain, doing nothing else than thinking about our future I have a "big" concern: will we be a paceful Fundy or will we seek to subjugate other countries and, at the end, when we'll have 231cities and the other cive only 5 or 6 we will start to built the Zealot Enterprise?

Just a question, my friends!
Old July 17, 2002, 10:09   #43
King

@MN

Depends, I think. In a spaceship game, especially if we dont have the science advantages of Rep/Demo, it may be necessary to impede the progress of other lands to the stars

Of course, the SG's may have specific guidelines in mind.

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old July 17, 2002, 10:38   #44
Messer Niccolò
Prince

mmmh...

Priests in space could be a great achievement in terms of strategy and style of play if 'the brothers' could succesfully live in a peaceful world.
In other words, in case we start to crush others with Crooks'n'Clads strategy we, sooner or later, will end up to have a world domination waiting only to have the tech to build and launch the spaceship without any decent competitor...
Otherwise, living in a world with other nations, trying to have semi-normal relationship with them (or better, since the latter is almost impossible vs Deity AIs, trying to avoid complete civ annihilation) stealing/trading tech [for the pleasure of Our Lord of course!] and things like that.
Of course, once the others launch or in case we launch no more rules!
What do you think, too hard (or impossibile?)?

Topping the mountain....
Mr.N.
Old July 17, 2002, 12:29   #45
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Brothers
LaFayette, just after having been appointed 'Lowpriest' by the High Priestess in 450BC, finds himself in front of a terrible choice: Colossus or Marco?
If war4 is reading this thread, he knows the answer: the choice of the lowpriest is MARCO.
Brothers, Marco tells us that our world is beautiful and we are #1, many techs ahead of anyone except the Vikings who have built the GL.
The lowpriest decides to build a shipchain to the biggest foreign city, namely StPetersburg.

Here's the short log:
375BC: Republic is discovered, Banking is researched (by accident, since the lowpriest clicked upon Mono; this is probably a question of faith...or perhaps a question of sticky mouse, who knows?)
275BC: Hut gives 50g
200BC: Hut gives settler
Banking is discovered, Seafaring is researched
50BC: Silk delivered in St Petersburg: 213g
25BC: Seafaring discovered, Monotheism researched (no sticky mouse this time)
2 Silk delivered in St Petersburg: 72g + 60g
1AD: Spice delivered in St Petersburg: 56g
20AD: Big Mound founded, right in the middle of our forthcoming shipchain to St Petersburg
40AD: The High Priestess seems to be eager to appoint a new lowpriest; LaFayette decides to retire in BigMound in order to have a close look at our sailing treasury.
Old July 17, 2002, 12:37   #46
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Nice one La Fayette - didya get all the maps? didya? didya?

Vlad you the man ...

SG[1]

p.s. This Git's thoughts turn naturally to Jihad! Other nations might build Star Ships - I don't think so
Old July 17, 2002, 12:42   #47
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Well, I'd prepare for my Jihad, but as you can see, I don't have the savegame yet.
Old July 17, 2002, 13:14   #48
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

oops!
seems I retired a bit too soon
Here's the save
(and yes: I got all maps; I don't know whether this is common knowledge but my experience is as follows: gift techs until the AI civ is one degree under enthusiastic; if you do that, they never say no to trading maps)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav je_a40.sav (154.7 KB, 3 views)
Old July 17, 2002, 13:30   #49
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
In a spaceship game, especially if we dont have the science advantages of Rep/Demo, it may be necessary to impede the progress of other lands to the stars
Of course, the SG's may have specific guidelines in mind.
STYOM
Most important of all we have the advantage of not being the AI

I would expect a 19th Century landing if we all get our acts together. There are no guidelines except win by spaceship and the only change of government allowed is to Fundy. This can be soft Fundy via SoL or the real thing with Conscription and Monotheism. This choice is interesting, because I'm not sure which is best in these circumstances. The former gives us the advantage of early money with tithes - whilst the latter means our science rate can remain higher for longer. Could the 8 caravans used to build Lady Liberty be put to better use? Watch this space...

We may well be engaged in some wars along the way to AC, but as science will come from trading we want a good choice of cities for foreign trade. This requires a vast empire...but we must also have lots of nice fat AI cities to bombard with freight ... as well as the occasional Ironclad

----------------

SG(2)
Old July 17, 2002, 14:17   #50
Vlad Antlerkov
King

A.D. 40: Vlad Antlerkov appointed Midpriest of the Zealots. Decides to build the Oracle in Three Spoons.

A.D. 60: Caravans arrive in Three Spoons. Found gold southwest of Big Mound. Trade caravan arrives in the heathen port, St. Petersburg. 152 GP!

A.D. 80: Switched to Mike's. Vikes and Greeks declare war on each other.

A.D. 120: Trade route established to Kiev. 90 GP.

A.D. 160: Mike's built! Egyptians retake their capitol. Pretty good for infidels.

A.D. 180: Russians build Sun-Tzu. Vikings declare war on us.

A.D. 220: L'Udal found on the same continent as Big Mound.

A.D. 280: Signed alliance with Chinese against Greeks.

A.D. 340: Vlad retires to Jihadsville.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav je_a340.sav (155.3 KB, 6 views)
Old July 18, 2002, 03:37   #51
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

New from the Synod
Sounds good guys - Mike's is worth 3 gold/city in the long run - so churn out those cities - just a manageable quota - I don't want to have to micromanage 214 cities as some bright spark suggested above, but say a round 175 that feels a NICE number, with a base (tithe) economy of > 500g/turn we can start motoring.

As always in this silly game it is going to be a balancing act - we need infrastructure (if you are not familiar with a Celebrating Fundy civ - think Demo, you will not go far wrong), we need growth (lots of it), we need trade - at this stage getting long term lucrative routes in place is more important than short term big cash bonuses, they can come later when we NEED the science and as ever we need Science, but strangely for a SS game that is not the highest priority at this stage - put expansion first, trade second, infra third and science last!

What heresy is this you cry! Are we not seeking the Stars! Yes my brothers we are going to the stars, but in the later years our men of science will be unable to compete so they will need help - the help that comes from a huge empire able to buy many freights and run them into our giant capital or into fat infidel zoo cities.

Hint - should the AI found on any one or two square islands - let them be - they will become wonderful zoo cities with lots of trade arrows and no production to speak of.

So in the early years it is more important to prepare for the long hard run to the Holy Stars, my brothers and sisters, we shall never lag behind the infidel - we have Marco's we know where they are and what they are doing - and, virtually before they are aware that they have made a new discovery, our glorious Corps Diplomatique (under the command of ArchDeacon La Fayette, perhaps) will relieve them of the onus of having to cope with knowledge on their own. Thirty shields (for a Dip) is one of the cheapest and most cost effective ways of making science advances!

The heathen will not like this - he may even declare war upon the Righteous - we shall respond in kind - another city, another tech advance - and they beg for peace.

Be aware of Synod ruling 125: A ruling prelate that permits another civilisation to achieve a three tech lead shall be invited to perform an Act of Faith in the Great Gardens of the Sturch.

SG[1] - in benign and helpful mode as he gathers the wood for the pyre(s) ...

Last edited by Scouse Gits; July 23, 2002 at 03:20.
Old July 18, 2002, 04:08   #52
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Good sermon SG[1]...every priest(ess) should take note

------------------------

SG(2)
Old July 18, 2002, 04:51   #53
Hydey
Emperor

hydey pretends to listen to the sermon and then goes off and does his own thing.

Old July 18, 2002, 05:06   #54
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quote:

Most important of all we have the advantage of not being the AI

... beware to the power of sticky mouse, PC hardware diverted our science path from Monotheism (and our powerful "Men-in-Cross") to the less warmongering Banking... but AI doesn't know that "business is war" so for the 'holy bros' nothing changes...

Quote:
We may well be engaged in some wars along the way to AC, but as science will come from trading we want a good choice of cities for foreign trade. This requires a vast empire...but we must also have lots of nice fat AI cities to bombard with freight ... as well as the occasional Ironclad
SG(2)

I think that occasional is not the correct word, but SG[1] will be pleased to teach us the enlightened way of erudite speech...

------
Quote:
...or into fat infidel zoo cities.
I knew this would happen!

Quote:
The heathen will not like this - he may even declare war upon the Righteous - we shall respond in kind - another city, another tech advance - and they beg for peace.
... and, finally, they will see the light .....

Mr. N. from the top of the mountain, painting a big cross (or whatever is the God Sign) on his shield...
Old July 18, 2002, 05:41   #55
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Has 'electricity' yet reached the top your mountain, Master Nick?? (So your home PC can work...)

SG[1]
Old July 18, 2002, 06:14   #56
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Being conscious that electricity could upset the Gits I've decided not to have this confort in my cave...

The real reason is that actually I don't have my pc, it will be back (I hope) on Saturday or Sunday.
... I've a pc in the office but playing civII at work could be a good reason to take a long (but very long) vacation, therefore I prefer to wait until Sunday...
Old July 18, 2002, 10:24   #57
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Re: New from the Synod
Quote:
Hint - should the AI found on any one or two square islands - let them be - they will become wonderful zoo cities with lots of trade arrows and no production to speak of.
Oh, what rhodes have we traveled to need to mention this? Of course we will leave them be.

...unless they are in the way!

The wonderous PC de Sodaq is back up and running. I restored my internet connection and installed civ. The rest can wait!

Put me on the list, High Priestess. Shaman Sodaq will use special juju to bring us closer to the stars!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:27   #58
King

FYI
Just a heads up - Thoth hasn't replied since last weekend to the 'New ToT succession' thread. So he may be AWOL, experiencing heathen delights somewhere

Old July 18, 2002, 13:11   #59
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Everyone:

I'll be gone from 7/19-7/29, with no access to the internet or Civ II during that time.

Just so you don't think I'm AWOL.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:02   #60
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Re: Re: New from the Synod
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq Oh, what rhodes have we traveled to need to mention this? Of course we will leave them be.
After the Rhodes incident I was sure you would change your user name to Marquis de Nasdaq

--------------------

SG(2)