Old July 14, 2002, 08:07   #1
frostycreep
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How much drink can you handle?
Im a 17 year old lad who has only recently discovered the joys of drink. I have mostly been sticking to cheap lager such as carling mainly because its well, cheap. Last night i drunk 5 pints in quick succession and ending up kissing a really ugly girl in the local club. I also kept falling over and i think i was kinda agressive as well. And this was only after 5 pints! I wanted to drink more but i physically couldnt manage. So i was wondering, how much drink does it take everybody else to get really drunk? Im assuming its more than 5 pints! Ive even got a hangover now! Next week i mght try 6 pints, but that would probably kill me.
Old July 14, 2002, 08:10   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:18
Make every second drink a glass of water = no hangoover.

I normally make 5 bourbons plus several shots of sambuca a night and can still walk straight.
Old July 14, 2002, 08:11   #3
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
Slow down a little and pace yourself and you will find you can drink more.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 14, 2002, 08:12   #4
frostycreep
Chieftain

Thanks for the advice! Being an Austrailian Hydey im sure you know a lot about drink!
Old July 14, 2002, 08:18   #5
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 06:18
Doin' the DL dance, it's a first for me!

du-di-da-du-ba-bummm-bah!
Old July 14, 2002, 08:31   #6
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 05:18
I used to have sessions where I'd drink 20 pints in a 12hr sessions, but now I am older (23 not 18) I find I can't handle the quantities. Most I've had in recent past is at a Boat Club Dinner here, and that was 4 glasses of champagne, bottle of wine, quarter of a bottle of port, 4 pints and about 10 shots of various spirits, in about 6 hours. You gotta love drinking fines

I somehow managed to keep it all down as well, though my head the next morning wasn't feeling to great
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 14, 2002, 08:34   #7
Jac de Molay
Prince

Takes two liters to get me goin' but I can drink 4. I'm going out in a little to play some basketball and atone for my sins of yesterday. I figure if I dont drop dead, my hangover should be cured.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 14, 2002, 08:42   #8
frostycreep
Chieftain

Hopefully, in time, i will be able to drink the quantities that someone such as lightblue can manage. Im sure it will just take time and a lot of nights out to build up my resistance to the alcohol. Untill then though, ill just keep having cheap nights out because i dont exactly have to spend very much.
Old July 14, 2002, 08:44   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

A professional drunk in the making.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 14, 2002, 08:55   #10
VJ
King

Quote:
Doin' the DL dance, it's a first for me!

du-di-da-du-ba-bummm-bah!
Why nobody never made a DL -dance for me?
Old July 14, 2002, 09:07   #11
lightblue
Warlord

It also depends on your body size I find. At 6'5" and 210lbs I find i can drink a lot more than someone 8 inches shorter and 50lbs lighter I get tipsy on about 6 pints and a few shots, and then 2 units an hour to maintain that feeling. You don't want to get too smashed, cause you end up doing stupid things.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 14, 2002, 09:07   #12
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 00:18
Doing stupid things is half the fun.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 14, 2002, 09:08   #13
lightblue
Warlord

Depends how stupid
Old July 14, 2002, 10:26   #14
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
I'm got pretty low tolerance, six gets me fairly drunk and at eight I fall asleep pretty quickly
Old July 14, 2002, 11:20   #15
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Depends.. if you're having a marathon drinking and preparing for it like a day or so, then lots of booze can be consumed. Lots.
The trick is not to get a little drunk and say stupid things and do stupid stunts, it's to get so wasted that everybody won't hold it against you anymore . If you drink too fast, you might want to throw up, so you can drink more and have a nice evening.
And this was my cue for going over friends house to do some bbq
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:30   #16
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I find its physical volume that defeats me before the alcohol content does. After about seven pints I have to move onto girlie mixer drinks.

The worst I ever got was when I drank a top row (i.e all the available spirits in a single pint glass, and topped off with lager) for my birthday. I so shouldn't have done that.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:51   #17
Simon Darkshade
Settler

Local Time: 13:18
4 to 5 bottles would be my upper limit (it has been as far as I have ever gone)
In terms of individual drinks, about 30-35 whiskies, or a similar amount of schooners of beer. In terms of pints of beer, about 20-25 imperial pints. It is also dependent on what beer - Guinness is more filling than a draught beer, for example.

- N.S. Khrushchev
Old July 14, 2002, 11:59   #18
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If I am on an empty stomach, 3 beers and I'm gone.

If I've eaten reasonably beforehand, I can get in 6-7 before being drunk.

But it is all about pacing. If you do a beer every 15 minutes, you'll get drunk fast. Every 45, won't be nearly as bad.

Now mixed drinks, I tend to drink like they are water, so get very drunk very fast. Try to avoid those...

Then there's scotch on the rocks...mmmm-mmm
Old July 14, 2002, 12:07   #19
Hurricane
Warlord

It all lies in the training. Drink until you drop every day, and you will soon see how you can consume enormous amounts of vodka before even feeling drunk.

The problem is of course that the amount of alcohol in your blood still will increase, too. So, when you today feel pretty drunk at 0.5 promille, a die-hard drunkard will feel sober at 2 promille.

So my suggestion is that you should feel happy to not having to drink so much. It´s cheaper, and your liver will work after you´r 30, too.
Old July 14, 2002, 12:59   #20
Juggernaut
Prince

I think 12 pints in 6hrs is my record. It was really not healthy. But so did I spend the day after with puking once an hour.

And yes, I went home with an absolutely dreadful chick.

My cab ride home was like taken from the 'Smack My ***** Up' video.

Last edited by Juggernaut; July 14, 2002 at 13:07.
Old July 14, 2002, 13:15   #21
Richard I
Settler

My record is 2 big bottles of vodka, or 27 pints of beer. But that was when I drank more often. Now I'm loaded after 6-8 pints, and just a few drinks of boose.
Old July 14, 2002, 13:17   #22
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Local Time: 22:18
im such a light weight when it comes to drinking.
a couple of glasses of wine and im toasted just right.
or one large mixed drink via pina colada or swamp thang or a "sex on the beach" shot and that will
take care of me for the evening.
i loath being wasted.... i rarely drink past my 3 drink max. why any one would aspire to is beyond my understanding , unless they love worshiping the
porcelian god.
Old July 14, 2002, 14:15   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Quote:
Originally posted by boann
im such a light weight when it comes to drinking.
a couple of glasses of wine and im toasted just right.
or one large mixed drink via pina colada or swamp thang or a "sex on the beach" shot and that will
take care of me for the evening.
i loath being wasted.... i rarely drink past my 3 drink max. why any one would aspire to is beyond my understanding , unless they love worshiping the
porcelian god.
some of us drink to forget... or so one of my frieds always says before he takes his first swig...
Old July 14, 2002, 14:36   #24
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
My maximum tends to be around 8 pints but I'm usually smart enough to stop long before then.
Old July 14, 2002, 14:41   #25
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:18
4 shots of bacardi to get me tipsy. add 3 more and I'm wasted.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 14, 2002, 15:32   #26
Jaakko
King

I once got drunk from a meagre two pints. Granted, one was 6% and the other 9%, and I hadn't eaten anything all day, but it was stilll weird considering I'm a big guy and seldom get anything more than a slight buzz (I'm not into binge drinking).

Edit: Oh yeah, Tuoremehu, you didn't get a DL dance because you're a Finn, and everybody knows already that all Finnish posters are Stefu's DLs.
Old July 14, 2002, 16:10   #27
Evil Knevil
Prince

Hmmm, well since I used to be in PR, I'm used to getting vast amounts of booze on the company account (the rule was, if you got pissed with a client they'd have some sort of unholy bond with you, forever).

My usual limit is going to be about 10 (ish) pints, and a about 3 whisky's: prehaps a few vodka/coke type things as well, naturally this is from 8/9pm till about 2am, so it's not exactly binge drinking.

Although I've certainly been able to exceed this limit, if I've started early, or had a big meal, such as I used to, again on corporate account

Whats the most that you people have ever had in one session?

My personal best was actually only about a month ago, when I went to a BBQ just before I paid a visit to Saint Hill, I had absolutely fantastic amount of meat, followed by 15 beers, followed by a triple JD, then a trip to the pub with about 5 Coors Light, 3 real whiskys and a trip to the Temple of the Porcelin God. Then we went to my flat, watched Con Air and shared a bong, while finishing off the remaining beers (another 5-6, I don't remember).
I was still drunk 20 hours later when I'd travelled 750 miles to Bristol, to the Scientology compound.
Old July 14, 2002, 19:04   #28
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

for your information folks, 2 big bottles of vodka (I assume liter bottles) can kill a person. twice.
Old July 14, 2002, 20:51   #29
Anodyne
Prince

Hmm... usually when I drink to get pissed, I take a bottle of (usually red, white is ok, too) wine (~12%), and 1-2 litres of long drink (~4,7%).
When I want to get really wasted I add more long drink (to a total of 4-5 litres maximum)

I've also noticed that if you buy enormous amounts of booze and plan to drink them during a long amount of time (so that you don't drink too fast and pass out), it never works (at least for me). Every time you end up so drunk that you don't realize how pissed you are and just want more and more booze. And then it's lights out. That's why I usually lenghten my intoxication rather with milder drinks, like beer or cider.
Old July 14, 2002, 21:19   #30
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
The most I've ever had was 3 bottles of beer...

I can get slightly drunk by 2.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon