View Poll Results: Most annoying Civ to play against. Mostly in the early stages of the game. I think.
America 1 2.63%
Babylon 3 7.89%
Japan 1 2.63%
Zulu 3 7.89%
Germany 5 13.16%
China 1 2.63%
England 3 7.89%
Iroquios 0 0%
Persia 4 10.53%
India 1 2.63%
Egypt 0 0%
Russia 3 7.89%
Rome 2 5.26%
Greece 5 13.16%
France 3 7.89%
Aztecs 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8, 2002, 00:34   #31
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
France is the best civ to start nearby, Joan is cute
Yes, but she was a just a military leader, was she not? Napoleon was both a military and a political leader. He is the obvious choice. Napoleon should be France's leader and Joan should be one of their Great Leaders, not the other way around.

I'm guessing they stuck Joan in because they wanted more female leaders.
Old August 8, 2002, 06:14   #32
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
I'm guessing they stuck Joan in because they wanted more female leaders.
I want more female leaders too
Old August 26, 2002, 20:16   #33
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
I hate starting near the Romans and the Japanese.

Romans are a pain. Not only their unit is good on the defence as well as on the offence, you'll be often defeated, and their militaristic skills will upgrade their unit to Veteran or Elite. Good ways to stop this are to launch pinpoint operations on their iron resources. Or , even better, wait till the Mid Ages , esp. If you're playing with an Asian civ.

Which bring me to my next contender to the throne of the pain in the ass: The Japanese.

These guys are generic in the ancient world, They fight just like the next guy... but in the early middle ages springs The Samurai. This badass mofo is a ***** to play against. He needs no horse resources ( usually , a minor benefit ) AND he's a kickass defensive unit , to cling onto the city he's just captured, and we must not forget , honed his skills to elite level ,as he was almost certainly produced in a city with some cheap barracks, and recieved an upgrade during the fight with you. And when he's dug in, You mustn't forget that he's not your average grunt, mustering a 2nd speed level, so don't even think about trying to attack his ass with knights , constantly sending the multitude of badly damaged units for a fix up at your nearest friendly city, until one of your Raiders/Elephants/Knights somehow miraculously pounds his way through the smooth silky robes of the fearless warrior. These guys fight to the end, And the end is bad for you, usually. Playing with them as a civ , Is fun fun fun, though.
my only hint for you: Either make them small before middle ages , or wait to the arrival of the Cavalry, literally.
Old August 27, 2002, 12:29   #34
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
If UU is an indication of the annoyance of a civ, then Romans are the biggest pain in the butt during Ancient Age. If you see a horde of Legionary marching toward your cities, what units are going to use to fight against them?
Veteran swordmen, I would think. Lots of them, too.

If you've got no iron (and can't cut off Rome's), I'll grant that you're probably screwed.
Old August 27, 2002, 16:42   #35
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Quote:
If you see a horde of Legionary marching toward your cities, what units are going to use to fight against them?
A horde of Persian Immortals should do the trick, btw.