Old July 14, 2002, 15:19   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
History Beyond 200 AD - Historian Cavebear Takes Pen in Hand
A cloaked figure slips silently among the busy clerks and officials in the official house of Government. At the other wing of the building is the private residences of the elected leaders. In this wing are the office areas. He entered using access panels known only to himself and some few previous occupants. Yet these areas were unfamiliar to him. Before, people had come to him, now he cautiously entered rooms used by those people, for the first time. The fascination was in moving about unnoticed, something impossible previously. He smiled, and entered a small room off the main Library. Glancing about quickly, he could see it was empty, and that it had been so for some time.

Books and documents littered the desk and all the surfaces that could hold them. Picking one up at random, he read "The Attack on Elephantine: Economic and Military Considerations". Another read: "The Establishment of Citadel: Measurable Factors of Aggression Vs Homeland Development". Stunned, he realized he was in the abandoned office of the Venerable -Jrabbit, Historian of older times, and last of the line. Carefully sorting through the piles of dust-covered published reports (the far smaller body of information laying around him), he considered what to do with this trove of information and documentation. He glanced at the door; there were so many other rooms to be examined out of curiosity. But there was something compelling about this one.

"Ah well, one must make choices after all", he muttered to himself, "and this ancient project, maintained through all the years, deserves a completion". Outside, in the hallways, he heard great cries of joy. The Carthaginians had fallen, the last enemy was defeated. He stared at the door betwixt they and he; the boundary of the future and the past. He contemplated that. On a table was a hat with "Official Historian" inked onto it. He placed it on his head. "Doesn't fit well", he murmured, "but well enough". With a sardonic smile, he sat at the desk, arranged a piece of parchment before him, and began to write:

"In the year 1826, I, Cavebear, inscribe these words. Here is the history of our world from 200 AD and beyond, as well as I can determine the events"…

(More to come as quickly as I can cut, paste, type, and embellish. And I mean to complete this today or tomorrow.)
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old July 14, 2002, 17:03   #2
cavebear
Emperor

200 AD - I find the earliest accounts of the ancient leader "shade" marked by the ancient icon of . At this time, our civilization exists on only several islands and we have discovered 4 other civs. It is a difficult time. New cities start with difficulty and unrest "you probably also see the unhappy city of kIndalia(it started out with a BLACK face now a temple is being rushbuild and 3 units already could make it a red one)", he declared back then. Apparently, these difficulties remained for many years as our growing civ contends with lack of luxuries and resources. Still, these brave leaders and the Citizens pressed forward, determined to overcome all obstacles. But even then, expansion and mere survival lead all concerns.

420 AD - Shade is still the Leader, and is in command of the situation. More cities have struggled with unhappiness problems, but adjustments are made. Shade sells the City Walls of one city to complete construction of a Lighthouse (the better to traverse the dangerous and dark oceans, and to speed to Triremes on their brave new adventures), establishes garrisons of troops in another to enforce martial law, etc. It is clear that our ancestors faced hard times and great challenges. In spite of that, outpost cities to challenge the local dominance of the other civs are established. Citadel remains an example of bravery and assertiveness to all.

840 AD - President shade has been in power a long time and it seems to have gone to his head: "(ppl can't do anything then falling in love with me)", he says, officially. Still, we were a Monarchy back then, and such statements of power are to be expected (and may even have been essential at the time, given the lack of socio-political awareness of the People). However, the advancement of our Civ has continued. Michelangelo's Chapel has been built, and happiness from this event spreads throughout the empire (for so it was at the time).
Unhappiness problems virtually cease overnight and a new sense of cooperativeness and contentment abound. Moneyed merchants dare to travel the wilderness areas between secure cities with little fear of Barbarians and even young comely maidens may dance in the unsecured fields unmolested! Some old-timers rue the passing of routine lootings and pillagings, but they are slowly overcome by the rising tide of security and happiness in the home islands. Shade may be the despot King, but he makes the Caravans run on time and the People are secure in their persons.

Technology research has reached a new level (only 11 turns per new tech), and there is much promise for the future. The People seem to hail King shade with true and unforced respect and adulation. Even in this primitive time, a Wonder of the World (Leonardo's Workshop) is being planned. Wise Men assure the People that new knowledge can be gained to upgrade existing military units to more talented ones through this practical training ground.

1100 AD - King shade has advanced our Civ over the years. He leaves his duties, successfully, to his successor, to "pursue other interests. The Apolytonia now has a tech research rate of only 9 turns, it has 19 thriving cities, 368 gold pieces , and it is first among known civs in population, manufactured goods, and land area. He leaves the People 2 Great Wonders, Michelangelo's Chapel and the Lighthouse. The People all hail King shade for a job well done.

However, it turns out that "other interests" means becoming Minister of Trade shade! Wise men of the day write that it is very difficult to put aside power either in whole or in part. Some anonymous cynics even suggest that former King shade wants to enrich himself through this position . Other stalwart supporters deny this scurrilous accusation, pointing out that, as King, shade could have had all the riches he desired .

(more to come)
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old July 14, 2002, 18:48   #3
cavebear
Emperor

Last Part... No smilies; I'm tired...

Ah, now we come to my own time in the events of Apolytonia's success in this world. I can write of these events with much more confidence, though it was with little confidence that I started. I was elected to be President in the year 1100 AD. Trade Advisor shade had suggested a plan of attack on Elephantine, and the idea was well supported by the People. I, however, was dismayed and surprised. Where I thought I was arriving to lead our civ to a technological and scientific advancement, to culminate on our sending a space ship to Alpha Centuri, based on production and WLTxD, I was thrust into the actions of a common warlord.

Still, such reversals of expectations occur in the natural course of governance, so I made it my business to conduct my term in accordance with the desires of the People. Far be it from me (I decided) to deny the will of the People I desired to lead out of Monarchy to some more enlightened form of Government. While I personally desired Democracy, the People wanted Communism, the better to conquer our enemies.

1100 AD - From here, we began to conquer the world. Based on the initial brilliant concept of former King shade to take Adam's by taking Elephantine from the Egyptians, we, as one People, set our course on taking this world, rather than a far star. Seeing the possibilities, I went forth with a whole heart. But I was not accustomed to military matters and warring. Being that this is the history, it ought to be writen either mythically or realistically. I favor the latter.

Opening the 1100 AD file for the first time, and having military action as my first priority, I was like King Arthur facing Gwenivierre. To wit, I quailed and quaked, shivered and shaked. I did not want to pursue this militaristic plan. My experience had been that attacking takes overwhelming forces (that I did did think we had). Yet follow it I must, so I bravely went forth. With shaking digit, I pressed the "enter" key to start my first session as Leader.

The attack on Elephantine went well and (to my surprise) we took the city! Then what? Well, we had to protect what we took, so that meant taking Heliopolis. At that point, I had a Civ-revelation, truly worthy of celebration: "Focussed forces locally overwhelm and negate greater but dispersed military advantages". With blood in my eyes, I went forth to enjoy military action for the first time.

From there, we began to build an army of units beyond what our enemy civs could offer. We spent years in construction of them, yet also kept our tech research high (

In the year 1510, we become a perfect communist society, where all contributed according to their talents and took only what they needed for daily life. This accelerated our tech research and increased the happiness of the Citizens. Looking back on that time, it is then that we truly became unstoppable. It was not obvious then, but it is now. The acquisition of the Statue of Liberty, which allowed Communism, essentially put us beyond the reach of any of the other civs. They could not catch up in any terms. Our tech rate dropped from 9 turns to 5, for example, and all unhappiness problems vanished for a time.

Around 1600, we were building Ironclads. The world, we knew by then, was of islands and coastal cities. The Ironclads could wreak havok of such cities, and we eventually built a fleet of 16 of the deadly ships.

1640 AD - I am re-elected President. I assume that means I fulfilling my duties, but it also means there is more work to be done!

Minister of War Sodaq suggested to attack Thebes, and I considered it as a matter of getting to a spot with maximum force as quickly as possible. To that end, I established a city on a pennisula only for the purpose allowing ships to pass through and shorten theis voyage. We took Heliopolis, we took Thebes. We attacked the annoying Americans, who had been stealthily supporting the Egyptians. In that year, we took Helioplolis from the Egyptians, and we prepared to make a sudden move on other Egyptian/American cities.

By this time, I was utterly into the war idea, and found that I had no difficulty whatsoever in arranging offensive campaigns. I had already been waging defensive wars against the Barbarians, and the principles were the same. I became like the Klingons "War is Glorious". LOL!

1750 AD - The year the attacks began. We had been building our forced locally around the Egyptians/Americans, while still supporting outpost cities near the Romans and Indians, and still trading goods and building Wonders. At this point, we had Lighthouse, Leonardo's, Adam Smith's, Michelangelo's, Magellan's, and SoL. We were building up our forces and techs for a final strike at the Egyptians and Americans, while still harrassing the Babs, Indians, and Carths wherever possible to weaken them. The Vet Ironclad fleet is very formidable!

1778 AD - In one turn, we obliterate the Egyptians, Romans, and Americans! It is not like we arranged it that way, just that, when stretched to the limit, our forces are able to accomplish this deed. The Citizens are ecstatic, and go completely nuts with symbols of patriotism and material happiness. Statues are built of President cavebear, and of the Ministers. Motivation is the highest ever recorde among the people!

1800 AD - We are attacking the Indians, probing the Babylonian borders, and reducing Carthaginian cities. The Inbdians will fall first, I suspect. By 1806, Delhi (capital) and Madras have been taken from the Indians. We have spies and Cavalry units aimes at the others. There is a possibility that the Carths will gain techs and gold to fight us from their relatively isolated situation, but it is not too likely.

1812 AD - I turn over my office to a worthy successor. MrWhereItsAt has shown he has the coordination skills, the posting skills, and the abaility to create consensus anong varied Citizens. I have no doubt he will lead us all to final success..

The fimnal assault on the Carths is undertaken. The nearest cities and the colonial cities are taken easily. We are so far beyond the Carths, that they cannot even begin to fight us with any success. Still, the job has to be done, and Premier MWIA does a perfect job of it, ending in the obliteration of the final enemy civ. Congratulations to all!

A silent cloaked figure slips quietly through a doorway carrying a manuscript in his hands. Two weeks hiding in the room of the Historians has goven him sufficient information to make some sense of the events of the past, but the story is only as complete as information allows. It is sufficient, though, he hopes, as he heads off to the printer who has promised food and shelter for the research and relollections…

Coda
Old July 15, 2002, 05:00   #4
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Not one mention, not even one.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 15, 2002, 05:26   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:19
Epilogue:

The book, published under the obvious pen-name of one "Cave Banana" was a publishing success unlike any ever known throughout the history of Apolytonia. Within a week of release the first run was completely sold out. The next run went in 3 days, the third; sold out before it even reached the shelves.

The nation had progressed far since then: vehicles that ran on formerly useless fossil fuels had been invented and were sweeping the land in a new craze - the diverse and educated people of Apolyonia had resources to spare on such luxuries. A mission to land on the planet's moon had succeeded using a bullet shaped craft fired from an enormous cannon. In short, the people of Apolytonia were advanced, educated and thus highly cynical

Despite the modern attitude, the release of what came to be known simply as "The Book of Our Story" was taken to heart by every Apolytonian - be they Carthaginian, Roman or Founder in descent. The prose delighted, the heroics titillated, the morals educated Within a few months it was estimated that 90% of all homes had a copy, and 75% of the populace had their own personal copy.

Finally the nation had a full history, added to the surviving early toils of the (now canonized) Saint -Jrabbit, and a full identity. The identity of the mystery writer who penetrated the Government residence was much debated, and a whole literary field grew up around books of the theories on who it was.

Some accused the Premier MrWhereItsAt of finally letting office get to his head with the defeat of Carthage, and releasing the memoirs that shed him in such a great light. Others believed -Jrabbit had risen from the mists of time to finish that which he had started, and a small cult even claimed to see him in visions, surrounded by the nubile young 'uns he so adored Others still surmised that Hydey, Foreign Minister at the time of Carthage's defeat, decided to one-up everyone by releasing a book that would become legendary - and everyone wondered how exactly the ad for his planetwide network of dress-up Spy uniform outlets got into the book.

Whoever the author, they faded into mythical status as one who contributed a most extraordinary document to the nation - wherever you are, whoever you were, the author will restate again that the planet owes you gratitude for a job flawlessly well done.

Hail to "Cave Banana"!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 15, 2002, 08:46   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Yes, Hail to Cave Banana!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 15, 2002, 10:05   #7
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Hail Cave Banana
Old July 15, 2002, 11:21   #8
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
Not one mention, not even one.
Don't feel bad, my schemes were credited to shade...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 15, 2002, 18:30   #9
Hydey
Emperor

Local Time: 14:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

Don't feel bad, my schemes were credited to shade...
It would seem history cannot tell fact from fiction.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 16, 2002, 06:32   #10
James Adams
Prince

Local Time: 04:19
Great History it should be correct!
Old July 16, 2002, 19:11   #11
cavebear
Emperor

History is often incomplete, inaccurate, and unfair. Brilliant plans, pithy quotes, and steadfast contributions tend to get credited to only a few, who then seem to be greater and larger than they were in real life.

Future historians, with more time and documentation, often focus on individual efforts and specific times, and therefore discover more accurate details of events. Unfortunately, their works never catch up to the original mythic story.