Old July 14, 2002, 17:44   #1
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Two questions about audio
1. Let's say that you're creating a non-historical scenario. In this scenario, you are using WAV files of small clips of songs. You have come to the part of the scenario where there is a weird, shocking revelation that alters the course of the story. What would be a good song clip to accompany this moment? Right now, in my scenario I am having a bit of trouble with this particular issue. I have the beginning of Olivier Messiaen's "Quatuor pour la fin du temps" in use right now, but I'm not entirely happy with it (a small, low-quality clip of this song is included as an attachment). Is there another song (preferably from the classical/instrumental field) that would be better?

2. Can Macs play Windows Media files?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files:
File Type: wav revelation.wav (178.9 KB, 22 views)
Old July 15, 2002, 00:38   #2
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Re: Two questions about audio
Anyone?

Quote:
This has been downloaded 9 time(s).
Ya know, it's rude to take the free stuff without a bit of thanks or advice...
Attached Images:

Old July 15, 2002, 00:43   #3
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Guilty. Sorry, I wanted to listen to the sound first, but when I did, I realized I didn't know enough about classical music to answer your question. Ditto for the mac question.
Old July 15, 2002, 01:15   #4
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Perhaps the wording and smiley-ness (?) for my second post was a bit unclear. The thing about "So you're just gonna take the free stuff? Ingrates!" is actually based upon an inside joke I have with my friends, so that statement was more for my benefit. And I had wanted to use that smiley for a long time, but I hadn't found the opportunity.

The music need not be limited to classical, everyone; indeed, my scenario (should it ever be completed) features a true amalgam of music genres and artists, from the Beatles to Stravinsky to the guy who composed music for the SNES classic Chrono Trigger. Heck, it might even feature one of my own compositions! So if there is any song that seems proper for the given situation, feel free to post it here. Or, withhold the information and die a gangrenous fetid death as a result of the horribe pain that your own conscience inflicts upon your soul; it's really not up to me.
Old July 15, 2002, 02:45   #5
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 20:19
Off the top of my head... I'd suggest the ending few measures of Moody Blues "Knights in White Satin". the part after the narration when the orchestra makes a quick ascending movement.

BTW, I'm interesting in your own compositions. Please post them!
Old July 15, 2002, 04:23   #6
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

My own works, seeing as I'm a mere high school student with no formal training in the subject, tend to be very short and simple, often blatantly deriative of more famous pieces. I guess you could say that they are akin to the programs that one would create if they were learning a programming language from a how-to book. Nevertheless, I have here an example of a piece I created specifically for my scenario - it's entitled "Eerie and Drums" (it is extracted and distilled from a work-in-progress tenatively called "Eerie Song," meant for piano and a single female voice. I was forced to take liberties, however, since I don't have the proper equipment to record this work, so I fused together a MIDI file and a sound I edited from one found on the internet. I am actually quite happy with how this composition is turning out. Oops, this is too much information to put in parentheses! ). I am not sure if I will use this one; I have too many large sound clips in wait as it is.

As for the song suggestion, I will reserve judgement until KaZaA decides to start working again. God bless MP3's and copyright infringement!
Attached Files:
File Type: wav creepy.wav (205.8 KB, 13 views)
Old July 15, 2002, 05:39   #7
Imperial-Markus
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1) How about "Zaratustra" it began slowly and than you have the big "TADA"?

2) Well I've talked with my colleague (also a macian ) and he told me there should be no problems in using the different sound applications macs recognize them as sound files. All you have to do is open "sound app" and click the convert button. There you go. Easy like that. But if it's not function than because mac sounds are contained in AIFF files and you will need an Apple Transfer utility as well as another program to extract and convert. Then you have to put them back. But he told me that with 99% it should work with the "sound app" option.
Old July 15, 2002, 09:13   #8
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I got something that might work: it is from the 2nd movement of Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto. Unfortunately the clip is too big to post, even zipped

Also your clip sounds a little soft soundwise, I had to turn up my speakers to hear it. Otherwise, I'll keep on the lookout for stuff.
Old July 15, 2002, 17:32   #9
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Thanks for the Mac tip, Markus.

I haven't heard the Prokofiev piece yet (again, the file-sharing program), but I did find the Moody Blues song in a large collecttion of CDs my sister owns, and I've heard the "Zarathustra" beginning (who hasn't?). They both sound a bit too...full, I suppose. I probably wasn't too clear in my first post. The type of song I want should remind a person of whispering, wordless voices; of a laid-back insanity; of a person with facial tics rocking back and forth while saying in a low murmur, "Oh my God oh my God oh my God." These two songs sound too powerful, evoking the image of some wild-haired person screaming, "Holy Sh*t!" I mean, they'd work, except this revelation in my story is what makes sense of everything else that has happened (it also is the ending), and the image in my mind is fixedly locked as creepy and quiet.
Old July 16, 2002, 10:00   #10
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Sent Oobir!
Old July 16, 2002, 16:58   #11
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Thansk ANZAC
I could very well use this.
Old July 17, 2002, 09:34   #12
The ANZAC
King

Re: Thansk ANZAC
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Oobir
I could very well use this.
No problem, if you need more of the audio, I'll email to you so you can crop it as you see fit.