Old July 16, 2002, 16:34   #31
Edrix

I'm inclined to agree with some of the naysayers on this one. Turnthreads are fine for those of us who live in varied parts of the world (and can't make the regular chats), and it wouldn't hurt to have them replace intermediary chats, but I think that the full turnchats should remain. Even if less people are there, they can be a lot more involved.

Old July 16, 2002, 16:35   #32
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
At least I didn't do 10 turns...

This is why we need to start changing things now. When turnchats get 4 turns for 3 hours, people will whine less when we already have some kind of system in place.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:45   #33
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
yay turnthreads

edit: notice timeline's first appearance in a cartoon.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	turnchat.gif
Views:	99
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	19752  
Old July 16, 2002, 16:45   #34
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:20
Currently, turnthreads are an experiment intended to replace intermediary turnchats, nothing more.
Also, I agree with Uber that we could do one turn per day with turnthread, waiting for the actual turnchat.

Trip : did you make Apolyton work on a whale rather than a forest, after all ? If not, please do so, as Punkbass agreed with my suggestion.
Also, did you end turn 63 already or not ?
Old July 16, 2002, 16:46   #35
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I didn't end the turn and I'm changing the tile we're working on now.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:47   #36
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

he never ends the turn.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:49   #37
Robber Baron
Prince

Maybe we should add: turnthreads every day or two, so long as we are at peace. (When things get hot and heavy at war, seems like turnchats would be needed.)
Old July 16, 2002, 16:54   #38
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Did ya'll notice map making is now on the table
Aggie
Old July 16, 2002, 16:58   #39
Spiffor

Trip : could you post / send me your current save, so that I can do my job as minister of trade plz ?
Old July 16, 2002, 17:02   #40
Jon Shafer

The save is now updated with the newer version.
Old July 16, 2002, 17:03   #41
Puupertti Ruma
Chieftain

I agree with Robber Baron, when times are dull president could play along, turn in a couple of days, until something big (or not so big) comes up, e.g. that barbarian camp near NYC.

When this is taking place there is always the possibility of careless mistakes. The reason minister's are there IMO are to nullify this possibility.

Also command of military unit's within turn chats could be separated to armies, and not to be controlled individually by SMC (Uber's gonna jump on me soon ). It would be actually mandatory with the dosens of units in the later games.
Old July 16, 2002, 17:48   #42
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I say we start a turnthread for tomorrow, but perhaps trip can post each move as he does it so we can play along.
Aggie
Old July 16, 2002, 17:52   #43
Spiffor

Aggie : good idea. And I think Trip's postcount will love it

Anyways, I deviced yet another whoring plan : map whoring this time. you can see it in the last post here
Old July 16, 2002, 21:31   #44
Jon Shafer

I have one day left as President, but I don't think it would be nice to most people to do something like that without notifiying people in advance.
Old July 16, 2002, 23:45   #45
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Turnthreads =

I like turnchats better. In turnthreads, the people are much less involved. The president is really the only one actively involved in the playing of the game.

I say keep the turnchats for the time being. Later on, we might need the turnthreads.
Old July 17, 2002, 00:31   #46
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
Turnthreads =

I like turnchats better. In turnthreads, the people are much less involved. The president is really the only one actively involved in the playing of the game.

I say keep the turnchats for the time being. Later on, we might need the turnthreads.
So far as I know, there are no plans to replace turnchats altogether; just the intermediary turn chats where only one turn is played anyway.

But I suppose they might be the successor to turnchats when the game gets to big for chats...
Old July 17, 2002, 00:35   #47
Jon Shafer

This was an experiment. I repeat, this is not going to replace turnchats now and forevermore. It is to help ease the necassary transition to turnthreads (or some other form of a more independent process). As of now, I encourage our President to replace the Intermediary turns with Turnthreads. They are not mentioned in the Constitution, so such a change can easily be done without an amendment.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:23   #48
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
This could scare people away, the whole idea of this democracy game is for fun and if you remove that factor, then what is the point?

If it's not happening in real time (chat) then I find it difficult to understand what's going on, I am practically playing blind.

I don't support this idea, sorry.

But I do understand that our turns are taking far too long just to do simple things and I think we need to sort out some rules during chat, because otherwise it is just going to get worse and worse.
Old July 17, 2002, 18:17   #49
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
This could scare people away, the whole idea of this democracy game is for fun and if you remove that factor, then what is the point?

If it's not happening in real time (chat) then I find it difficult to understand what's going on, I am practically playing blind.

I don't support this idea, sorry.

But I do understand that our turns are taking far too long just to do simple things and I think we need to sort out some rules during chat, because otherwise it is just going to get worse and worse.
As Trip (and now you) pointed out, it's going to get worse as we get more cities and units. And, as Trip has pointed out, it may get to the point where we have to cancel turnchats - or, at the very least, cancel playing along, which is half the point and most of the fun of turnchats anyway.

If the demogame can't be fun without turnchats (I personally have a lot of fun just on the forum, but that's maybe that's just me) I think we should start reworking the rules now so that it stays fun till our victory (or, dare I say it... defeat).