Old August 7, 2002, 11:16   #61
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture
Be aware that the game treats an excessive number of transfers and tactics changes very negatively,
Ah, I finally landed two transfers (one senior squad, one reserve), and some of the regulars got all upset about it... Does their morale improve again after a while?

I wanted to start with a good team until I can learn what's going on. I thought that starting with talent would at least make figuring out what goes wrong easier. Maybe I'll get sacked and have to take a job at NEC, instead.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 7, 2002, 16:42   #62
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 20:22
Most will get over it, but sometimes a player has a poor attitude and will get upset at all sorts of things and is detrimental to the team. If a guy gets mad, or is unfit, or whatever, make a note of it in the space provided under manager notes/comments.

Two reference pieces are much more valuable than the manual - big surprise - what game comes with a decent manual:

both of these are available at www.sigames.com and I thought that other tips at the site's forum actually reduced my enjoyment of the game...

Marc Vaughan's General Guide to CM3 (01/02)
and a Community forum Hall of Fame section thread by GeorgeMcD titled "Help with editing tactics"

both of these have a lot of things I don't agree with, tactically, but are a good starting point without ruining the fun of trying different things in the game.

Do be aware that there are random attribute numbers assigned to lower level players, so a players that is good in some other guys game may be crap in yours - but generally I hate player naming anyway and guys that take ManUtd and buy all of the best players are totally missing out what I find to be fun in the game.

Cheers
Old August 8, 2002, 17:20   #63
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 06:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So you're talking CM! WOW worth looking into this forum after all (actually I slipped ).

Haven't played it much lately. After I won everything with Cardiff within seven years it wasn't a challenge. Waiting for the new CM4 though. That'll be a blast. Planning to buy a new computer just to play CM.
Old August 8, 2002, 17:35   #64
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Yeah im waiting for CM4 too, primerally internet play. The internet option was pretty flakey on CM3, with 56k anyway, dropping off the host etc. And SI have stated that it WILL be almost the same speed to playing over a LAN on CM3, even with 56k.

Yeah ive mostly worn out this CM now, after countless all night sessions with Donny Rovers, starting up another long term game doesnt interest me(yet).
Old August 8, 2002, 17:35   #65
Sten Sture
Emperor

Kromag-kin, I did poach a couple of GAIS lads in a Leigh RMI game: I felt kinda bad about it.
Old August 8, 2002, 18:13   #66
Kropotkin
Emperor

What players? I never managed to play with GAIS, to much emotions...
Old August 9, 2002, 09:24   #67
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Haven't played it much lately. After I won everything with Cardiff within seven years it wasn't a challenge. Waiting for the new CM4 though. That'll be a blast. Planning to buy a new computer just to play CM.
Yeah yeah do it with a conference team then. Or better yet show the real worth of youre cm-skills here .
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 9, 2002, 10:50   #68
Kropotkin
Emperor

I've won with a conference team as well. 8 years for the champions leauge title. Just didn't win everything that time around as I missed out on the UEFA-cup victory to Roma. Conference cup, Fa trophy, Fa cup, leage cup, intertoto cup, champions leauge, Super cup, charity shield, World cup for clubs and that World championship-game in Tokyo, conference, div 3,2,1 and Premier but no UEFA-cup. Didn't want to lose the leage just to win it.

It was back in the days when 4-1-3-2 was the tactics of the Gods!
Old August 9, 2002, 11:36   #69
Footie Mad
Prince

Since you seem well versed in the ways of CM I suggest you join one of our online leagues with swedish players. The link above is to the community site. We have a very good time and can be found on Mirc-channel #cmonline on quakenet. Im known as Fånen.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 9, 2002, 18:02   #70
Sten Sture
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
What players? I never managed to play with GAIS, to much emotions...
One was Josefsson, can't recall the other right now.

It was a couple of seasons into the game, so I don't recall if they were originals. I think in that game that the GAIS coach took over the National team after Tommy Soderberg??

You had better take 3 pts this weekend if you want to catch Trollhättan.
Old August 10, 2002, 05:54   #71
Kropotkin
Emperor

Jonny Josefsson, yes he's a "original"... And yes we need three points! The 6-0 slaughter of Skärhamn in one half the other day feelt nice though.

Wille: Well, I can't really. I have a lot of techincal difficulties with CM as it corrupts my save-games all the time and I can't seem to find away round it. Thus I prefer to stay away from the game altogheter (I'm like a sober alcoholic, one sip and I'm lost) until I can afford a new computer.

Strange, I got to the website and for some reason I understood that Fånen was you in a instant.
Old August 12, 2002, 16:05   #72
Sten Sture
Emperor

what happened to my reply thread... curse of poly...

In brief :

GAIS wins again 7-1.
My other CM GAIS steal was Jörgen Hellqvist, I think.

And in CM I play a 3-5-2 formation, what about you guys, other than the aforementioned 4-1-3-2?
Old August 14, 2002, 15:02   #73
Kropotkin
Emperor

Often a 3-3-2-2-tactic (3 central defenders, a DMC and two Defensive midfielders that runs and makes crosses, two midfielder that tries to run into the penalty area and two strikers).
Old August 14, 2002, 15:25   #74
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Two things i avoid when making a tactic, over-complicating it and using the exact same tactic for 2 seasons running.

I play a straight 4-4-2, of course theres alot more to it than those numbers.
Old August 14, 2002, 15:59   #75
Kropotkin
Emperor

I've always thought that 4-4-2 sucks gigantic elephant balls in CM, maybe you've learned to use it in a good way. And yes, there's not a good idea to have the same tactics for long as the computer cracks it. I usually have a back-up tactic for away games against Roma and if my ordinary strategy failes.

I and a friend came up with a really good one with the name Kilkenny delight (for inspiration) that was a bit like my 3-3-2-2 but changed into 3-3-1-2-1
Old August 14, 2002, 18:53   #76
Maquiladora
Emperor

Using 4-4-2 can suck gigantic elephant balls if you dont alter the with/without ball screens. More specifically, off the ball in my penalty area and on the ball in their penalty area, of course midfield etc too.

I sometimes use a 2-3(wingbacks)-2-2-1 with a strong and fast foward and offside trap, when i dont want to get too involded in messing with tactics for each game, or if im testing something with an easy team.
Old August 19, 2002, 04:31   #77
Maquiladora
Emperor

double post
Old August 19, 2002, 09:18   #78
frostycreep
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov
Hmm, if you guys like CM I better make a little ad for my favourite online game: www.hattrick.org

Have a look and see if you like it!
Hey Pavlov, Im a fellow Hattrick player! My team was in a level 5 league, but i just got relegated and am now playing in one of the worst leagues there is with a team of no hopers. I think i better get back to playing champ as I seem to be much more succesfull at that! My team in hattrick is called Northam Lions if there are any fellow hattrick players out there who want a friendly or something.
Old August 19, 2002, 09:37   #79
Maquiladora
Emperor

I signed up for hattrick a while ago but it doesnt look like i got a team yet. It said 4 or 5 days but maybe my registration messed up or something I guess ill try and register again, to keep me going until cm4 anyways.
Old August 19, 2002, 14:24   #80
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Hey Pavlov, Im a fellow Hattrick player! My team was in a level 5 league, but i just got relegated and am now playing in one of the worst leagues there is with a team of no hopers. I think i better get back to playing champ as I seem to be much more succesfull at that! My team in hattrick is called Northam Lions if there are any fellow hattrick players out there who want a friendly or something.
Really? Well you hang in there. I'll check out your team and I'll challenge you some time.

Quote:
I signed up for hattrick a while ago but it doesnt look like i got a team yet. It said 4 or 5 days but maybe my registration messed up or something I guess ill try and register again, to keep me going until cm4 anyways.
That's odd. I suppose it could happen if you're a bit unlucky. Oh well, if at first you don't succed...

-Homer Simpson
Old August 19, 2002, 14:31   #81
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I took a little look at your team, frosty, and I think it's better than you say. You have some good defenders and it doesn't look hopeless. Since you're playing 3-4-3 I suppose you're training forwards?

Anyway, off the top of my head, I'd say that you should get two new midfielders to boost your midfield score a bit. Kirk and Alex seem too weak. Perhaps considering playing one of those wingers towards the middle.

Good luck

-Homer Simpson
Old August 19, 2002, 17:31   #82
frostycreep
Chieftain

Thanks Pavlov but as id love to have to new midfielders, i kinda have no money(due to spending on improving stadium) Im close to being in debt! But i am investing heavilly in the youth team and i think ill get some good players from that soon. I just promoted my first player from the youth team and he instantly was good enough to play in my first team. Im still hopefull of being succesfull though, as when your playing in the league i am, the only way is up! And I play 3-4-3 because i love attacking football and no matter what results i get, that will never change! Whats the name of your team Pavlov, as id like to check it out.
Old August 20, 2002, 02:01   #83
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

My team is FC Toker in Sweden. Hoping to win the V this year. I have, much like you, a team specialized in attack but I'm slowly building up a good youth team.

I wondered where your money had gone. The youth team is a good investment, you should be able to sell off some good juniors. good

-Homer Simpson
Old August 20, 2002, 10:48   #84
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

check this one out,
very good site for CM

http://www.sigames.com
Old October 21, 2002, 01:58   #85
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Next Thursday (24th October 2002) will be the day you finally get a chance to see the most anticipated game of the decade (so far!) - Championship Manager 4. SI's beautiful baby has been in development for a while and we've kept it a closely-guarded secret.until now.

The first ever Championship Manager 4 magazine to be released is your chance to sneak an exclusive look at the game and it\'s not too late to order your copy. Packed with a 20 page preview of CM4, including screenshots and interviews with the men at Sports Interactive, this is a mag that no serious CM fan can be without.

On the CD cover-mount you will find a \'rolling demo\' of the new 2D match engine used in the game, allowing you to watch your team in action for the first time, analyse the goals, the moves, the set pieces - all from the comfort of your PC. That's not all! The CD also gives you a FREE data update for CM 01/02 to bring the players and teams up to date.

The price of the magazine is as follows:

£5.49 for people in the UK
£7.49 for Europe + Eire
£8.49 for the rest of the world

Prices include postage and packaging.

All you need to do now, is grab your credit or debit card and visit the ordering page https://www.futurenet.com/secure/single1.asp?ID=120. If you live in the UK the CM mag will arrive on (or just before the 24th October), otherwise allow a few days for delivery.
For anyone interested in CM that doesnt know yet. Cant wait
Old October 21, 2002, 08:43   #86
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've had the 24th marked in my diary for a few weeks now!

I can't wait!
Old October 21, 2002, 10:16   #87
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Just ordered my copy of the mag.

£5.50 - A bit pricey, but what can I say? I'm a CM addict.
Old October 21, 2002, 20:13   #88
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

damned, does this game have to come out now!!
Two time absorbing must haves at the same time, the other being PTW offcourse
Old October 21, 2002, 20:52   #89
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
Have any of you guys looked at Total CLub Manager? What do you think of it in terms of fun value?
Old October 22, 2002, 04:56   #90
Maquiladora
Emperor

I never played it myself, looking at the screenshots it looks like they just ripped off CM. Seems like EA gave up on competing in terms of depth long ago and went for the old 3D engine and the blue transparent interface again. Dont fall into the trap buy CM