Old July 15, 2002, 17:31   #1
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SLICs and Units
For all of you SLIC CTP gurus:

Is there a document that lists all of (most of) the variable and structure names in CTP2 for Slic editing? Don't need them yet, but I may in the future...

...which brings me to my next question, the 12 unit per city limit is interfering with moving my armies around, i.e. I have to walk around the cities. And worse, I need to build roads around the cities, so I don't loose movement points (my land is starting to look like Civ III land). Is there any way, to change the limit from 12?

The code must have an a 12 element array of structures for handling the units, does anyone know the variable name for this array?

Thanks!
Old July 16, 2002, 23:31   #2
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:22
Here it is the events:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...icevents.shtml
The functions:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...lic2func.shtml
And the built in variables:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...cbuiltin.shtml

I hope this is what you a looking for
-Jean Rostand
Old July 17, 2002, 09:22   #3
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Here it is the events:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...icevents.shtml
The functions:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...lic2func.shtml
And the built in variables:
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...cbuiltin.shtml

I hope this is what you a looking for
Whoa! There's a lot you can do with .slc files. I don't know if it will let me raise the 12 unit limit for moving through cities, but man there's a lot you can do!
Old July 17, 2002, 11:15   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 05:22
The limit of 12 units on any tile, including cities is so hard-coded that it is impossible to change directly.

Making all units into transports would let you have up to 72 units in a tile I guess, but only 12 would attack or defend, and moving would be a pain.

There are only a few main concepts that are utterly impossible to change, and that is one
Old July 17, 2002, 12:11   #5
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
The limit of 12 units on any tile, including cities is so hard-coded that it is impossible to change directly.

Making all units into transports would let you have up to 72 units in a tile I guess, but only 12 would attack or defend, and moving would be a pain.

There are only a few main concepts that are utterly impossible to change, and that is one
I decided to play around this limitation. I have 3 defenders in each city, I keep the non-horse portion of my army to nine units, so they can move through the cities, and the horse portion (the remaining 3) move through the city before the rest of the army. Once they make to the battle field, I rejoin them.
Old July 17, 2002, 14:21   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:22
Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
I decided to play around this limitation. I have 3 defenders in each city, I keep the non-horse portion of my army to nine units, so they can move through the cities, and the horse portion (the remaining 3) move through the city before the rest of the army. Once they make to the battle field, I rejoin them.
I think that's how we all do it. Either walk around the city (I usually design my road network to make this possible and not cost unnecessary movement points), or split the army in 2 or 3 pieces and walk them through part-by-part. One day I'll get around to automating the process through SLIC, one day... 5 years from now...

Last edited by Locutus; July 17, 2002 at 14:28.
Old July 18, 2002, 09:16   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
...which brings me to my next question, the 12 unit per city limit is interfering with moving my armies around, i.e. I have to walk around the cities. And worse, I need to build roads around the cities, so I don't loose movement points (my land is starting to look like Civ III land). Is there any way, to change the limit from 12?
Actal there are only four tiles around a city that needs roads of course only if the adjacent tiles have a road:

North

West City East

South

So to bypass the city just put on the South-Eastern tile for example a road if the Southern and the Eatsern tile have roads and you don't need to move through your city anymore, and enemies can't use these bypasses because of the ZOCs.

So you see Civ3 is far away.

-Martin
Old July 18, 2002, 13:26   #8
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Making all units into transports would let you have up to 72 units in a tile I guess,
I'm not totally certain about this but I'm fairly sure that in CTP1 I was able to load transports into transports, so if CTP" works the same way and all units were transports you could store them ever deeper and there would be no (important) limit to the number of units in a square. It would get darned confusing though.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:48   #9
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by J Bytheway

I'm not totally certain about this but I'm fairly sure that in CTP1 I was able to load transports into transports, so if CTP" works the same way and all units were transports you could store them ever deeper and there would be no (important) limit to the number of units in a square. It would get darned confusing though.
wow bet that could make MP very unerving!
'oh look here comes a transport........oh my god its got zillions of units pouring out of it!'. I don't know what programmers are paid for eh
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:47   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor

wow bet that could make MP very unerving!
'oh look here comes a transport........oh my god its got zillions of units pouring out of it!'. I don't know what programmers are paid for eh
I would say:

Oh a transport here possible it has zillions of units on board let's sink it and zillions of problems are sunken, too.

-Martin
Old July 18, 2002, 16:21   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

rofl.... to both the above posts. Just don't give a leviathan transport abilities, or it'll be unsinkable
Old July 19, 2002, 17:23   #12
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
rofl.... to both the above posts. Just don't give a leviathan transport abilities, or it'll be unsinkable
I would hope that leviathans would be unfloatable, let alone unsinkable...