Old July 15, 2002, 17:31   #1
timorange
Settler

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NEW MP3 on the official site
http://moo3.quicksilver.com/cool/071502.html

it's a pretty cool sound clip from the game.
timorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 11:18   #2
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 00:22
I can't imagine listening to that kind of noi... er, music, while trying to think about my next move.
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 11:20   #3
CICSMaster

YUP,
That definitely means the QS team are on track.
They found some time to release info on the game to the FAN's.

I've been waiting 1.5 Years (approx.) for this game, IT BETTER BE BETTER THAN THE QS WEB SITE FOR THE GAME.
Old July 16, 2002, 18:00   #4
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That "music" is not working for me...and I like techo/grunge/industrial. Please give us the option to turn it off...I know, that a standard anymore, but ya never know.
Old July 16, 2002, 19:48   #5
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 06:22
There are sounds in games? I always turn them off. Well, not always. Just 99% of the time. I even think it is a big waste of money to spend musicians on the games. Just allow people to play while listening to the music they like. I like silence.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 02:39   #6
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

According to the artist the music for MOO3 is done and contains 60 pieces of music.
To hear some more music, really, some spooky, Harvester type music,

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/96/lustmord.html

Last edited by playshogi; July 17, 2002 at 02:57.
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 09:08   #7
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LDiCesare
There are sounds in games? I always turn them off. Well, not always. Just 99% of the time. I even think it is a big waste of money to spend musicians on the games. Just allow people to play while listening to the music they like. I like silence.
Hey don't get me wrong. I like music in games, at least initially. For instance, I'm playing Deux Ex right now and the music is very good; I've yet to turn it off even though it sometimes obscures the footfalls of the guards. I just was not impressed with the Moo3 piece.
Old July 17, 2002, 12:21   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I never play music in any games. If I want to hear music, I have nearly a 1000 CD's to listen to. In moo1, I could not get sound for years. Of the last 9 yrs or so, I have not had even sound in Moo for 8 of them. If TBS, I play with sound off most of the time as I play in the front room and do not want to distrub her watching TV. RTS and RPG, I need the sound for ques. Moo/Homm/Civ and the like, I it is not required.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2002, 04:39   #9
Anguille2
Chieftain

What's the sound in MOO1 anyway?

I was never able to listen to it.

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Anguille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2002, 07:16   #10
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I never play music in any games.
Amen, bro. All that effort spent on something I disable before even starting the game... sound F/X, now, that's another thing.
Old July 19, 2002, 10:10   #11
Toaster4k
Settler

hmm... am I the only one to like this music? I think it's very fitting... put me in the mood to drive my race to galaxic domination...

I really like good music in game, and turn it off only if I cannot make it run from my HDD and have to hear my CD-Rom work.
Toaster4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2002, 12:24   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The sound is the most elemental as you could imagine.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2002, 07:36   #13
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I urge everyone to play Moo2 while listening to Wagner.

Really.
Old July 26, 2002, 23:08   #14
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
Not liking that d*mned tapping noise shifting from the left to the right to the left to the right to the left...

And screeching glass sounds? Gee, I get the same sensation from my frequent headaches.

Unlike the French gentleman a few posts up, I'll knowingly and willingly listen to (or subject myself to...) in-game music...but I think I'll pass on this particular bit'o'music. Now where did I put my Excedrin...?

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
DRoseDARs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2002, 16:40   #15
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Cool i like it, it sounds very space-like. It would be cool if each faction had its own music like in Starcraft...

The new iPod nano: nano
Hagbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2002, 16:49   #16
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

hmm...after listening to it a couple of times it is quite annoying.

The new iPod nano: nano
Hagbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2002, 02:56   #17
Apolex
Warlord

That "music" sucks. Imagine someone you don't like incessantly tapping on a glass table. And cicadas chirping randomly. And a squeaky, squealing iron gate being opened and closed, mixed with a poorly done tribal beat. Jumble it all disjointedly together and you get this mess.

I'm with DRoseDARs. It miserably fails as in game 'music', but is a smashing success at simulating one of my migraines.

- Apolex
Apolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2002, 20:42   #18
Argor
Settler

For those of you saying the "Lovesong for a Harvester" is unfitting as game music: I believe this certain piece won't be standard game UI music, but rather for shorter periods. I assume it's a diplomacy musicpiece (rather likely the harvester diplomacy 'song' ? ). Or maybe it's battlemusic, but I do not think so.
Argor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2002, 09:37   #19
Xentax
Warlord

I believe it's one of the insectoid battle songs; but that's just a guess.

There's another battle song and a 'background' song in the "kangamoo" if you know where to look for it. I like that battle song better.

I'm not going to get too worried based on only one or 2 data points
Xentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2002, 14:22   #20
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

In-game music rules. At least the good stuff. Especially those for console RPGs. And this music... is average at best. I'll admit it didn't give me a headache the first time, but this is not wonderful stuff. Strat games are a bit confined in that you're expected to be more ambient and can't compose as much epic "something really cool just happened!" music, but come on!

As for the number of data points, don't forget that this has been released, and generally you put your best foot forward.
Old September 23, 2002, 01:34   #21
Apolex
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Argor
For those of you saying the "Lovesong for a Harvester" is unfitting as game music: I believe this certain piece won't be standard game UI music, but rather for shorter periods. I assume it's a diplomacy musicpiece (rather likely the harvester diplomacy 'song' ? ). Or maybe it's battlemusic, but I do not think so.
If it's only for a short time, or a smaller part of the game (like Xentax's suggestion of it being an insectoid battle scene), I can live with that. It does sound very insect like; maybe it will add individual flavor to the races. I'll think of it in the game as "music the Klackons must like" and work twice as hard to eliminate their scourge from the galaxy

The ambiance in MOO2 was great. The things that helped make it my all-time favorite game were all the extra effort details (like good game music).

-Apolex
Old September 23, 2002, 09:02   #22
moomin
King

I agree. I cought myself going around humming the Moo2 background tune every now ant then back in those days. Great stuff. Still, it grows old - all music does.
Old September 23, 2002, 14:25   #23
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex

If it's only for a short time, or a smaller part of the game (like Xentax's suggestion of it being an insectoid battle scene), I can live with that. It does sound very insect like; maybe it will add individual flavor to the races. I'll think of it in the game as "music the Klackons must like" and work twice as hard to eliminate their scourge from the galaxy

The ambiance in MOO2 was great. The things that helped make it my all-time favorite game were all the extra effort details (like good game music).

-Apolex
I've heard one of the other combat songs, and one of the "Ambient" (read: main UI) tracks -- so I'm fairly sure the publicly-available one is a battle track. The main UI music is supposed to be "background", not obtrusive. The "Love Song for a Harvester" track is definitely NOT unobtrusive, I think we'd all agree.

That's also why I believe players will like some of the other tracks better than this one (if you *don't* like this one, that is) -- I have the other one in my Winamp playlist, it's that cool.

If you have the "Kangamoo" it's "BW08.aif" -- playable in probably Quicktime by default but Winamp supports it as well. (If anyone wonders, I'm predicting this other one is Evon or Sakkra battle music)
Xentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2002, 18:02   #24
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
I urge everyone to play Moo2 while listening to Wagner.

Really.
I think that goes for any battle game. My personal preference would be a little bit of Carl Orf (Carmina Burana) for the expansion and build up phase then Wagner all the way from the assault to the final victory, with perhaps a small diversion to Holsts' Mars en route
Old September 23, 2002, 18:04   #25
moomin
King

Good choices all the way, Grum.
Old September 24, 2002, 04:59   #26
Apolex
Warlord

Yeah Grum... you should be the moo dj. Holst's Mars brings me back to the days of playing Outpost. It seems even more appropriate for MOO since you're frequently going to war.