Old July 15, 2002, 18:20   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should the Abandon City Exploit be fixed in PTW?
You never need to raze and don't get any diplomatic penalties. I know you don't get workers but it is a small price to pay. Does this need to be fixed? Some might argue its not an exploit but kinda seems that way to me. Any opinions on this?
Old July 15, 2002, 18:33   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i dont think the abandon city is too much of an exploit, but i think it would be kind of silly in MP. i hope you can only abandon while you are moving.
Old July 15, 2002, 18:41   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
Re: Should the Abandon City Exploit be fixed in PTW?
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
You never need to raze and don't get any diplomatic penalties. I know you don't get workers but it is a small price to pay. Does this need to be fixed? Some might argue its not an exploit but kinda seems that way to me. Any opinions on this?
Why would you suffer diplomatic penalties for abandoning a city? Take a look at the West or up in the Klondike area in Canada/Alaska. There's numerous "ghost towns" that were simply left to rot when they were no longer considered economical. They were important at one point, but the circumstances changed and everyone just left. That's been a very common occurrence throughout history, and is still continuing today in various locales, though perhaps not as drastically as before.
Old July 15, 2002, 18:59   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Willem, I think he is referring to when you capture an enemy city and then abandon it. Normally, if you capture a city and raze it, the other civs will get mad and you will suffer a reputation hit. It's seen as a bit of a war crime to totally destroy a captured city. But the Abandon City option makes the Raze City option pretty meaningless, as one can just choose to leave the city. Then the question arises--what did you do with the city's former inhabitants?
Old July 15, 2002, 20:30   #5
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 22:22
Ah, but the unhappiness from drafting/pop rushing (under the AI) will transfer to your cities if you abandon it. Razing causes no such transfer.
Old July 16, 2002, 01:57   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
Ah, but the unhappiness from drafting/pop rushing (under the AI) will transfer to your cities if you abandon it. Razing causes no such transfer.
I thought it would transfer to that city only, not to the others... and if abandoned, the problem would be gone... am I missing something??? Are you sure it works like this?
Old July 16, 2002, 02:37   #7
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 17:22
Gah! So thats why I got a city complaining about cruel opression... when I swore I had never whipped them.
Old July 16, 2002, 05:37   #8
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:22
Nah well... you can conquer an enemy city, sell down the most expensive improvement, abandon. Or you can just raze it, and get workers. However, razing doesn't give much of a diplomatic penalty, so I fail to see an exploit.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:29   #9
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

I thought it would transfer to that city only, not to the others... and if abandoned, the problem would be gone... am I missing something??? Are you sure it works like this?
If you create a Settler from any city that has been "abused" in any way, the unhappiness carries with that unit into the new city it builds. This has been confirmed by Firaxis.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:34   #10
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

If you create a Settler from any city that has been "abused" in any way, the unhappiness carries with that unit into the new city it builds. This has been confirmed by Firaxis.
That explains why my citizens are unhappy most of the time. In my current game, food is so plentiful that I use the whip liberally (ironic term, eh) even to create new settlers.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 16, 2002, 09:44   #11
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
I thought Carver meant that all of my cities (he used cities instead of a city, which puzzled me) would suffer some sort of a happiness penalty, if I abandon one. Now it's clear - I know that the unhappiness carries over, even through settlers/workers (BTW... how's that, if I produce a worker out of an unhappy city, let him work - like a slave - for 20 turns and then let him join another city of mine? Do 20 years of forced labour make them forget the cruel things I/someone did to them...? )