Old July 15, 2002, 19:38   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The New Land
For those of you who werent at the turnchat, we believe we foud some new continent, or perhaps the tail end of our own contient.

Apolyton's borders expanded again, and we see a whale and COAST tiles, meaning there's land there. we dont know if it's our own continent, another one, or just an island, but either way we should explore it eventually. the sooner the better, as if it is an island / new continent it would be nice to have a strong foothold on it, or even to control it completely.

two of the science minister canddiates stated that they wanted to "dive for republic". perhaps a brief stopoff at mapmaking would be better?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	coasts.gif
Views:	197
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	19629  
Old July 15, 2002, 20:29   #2
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

You know what I don't see? An enemy zone of control-- at least some of that land is free for grabbing (assuming it's habitable). If this land is indeed usable, then perhaps our palace need not move to another location, it might yet prove to be the center of our empire.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:31   #3
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 04:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks, for the update. It is all very interesting.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:38   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:23
Good point Epistax.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:41   #5
Robber Baron
Prince

I'll second the suggestion we at least consider (poll?) the idea of obtaining mapmaking soon. If we wait to get the tech via trade, would that mean other civs would have a better chance to beat us to the prize? Do we create an advantage by pushing for map making ourselves? (I don't have a good sense of this; I'd love to hear from more experienced players.)
At the very least, should we consider preparing a settler (once our first army has been marshalled, that is) and garrison force. (Call it Plan Terra Incognita?)
Old July 15, 2002, 21:09   #6
Epistax
Prince

Our entire economy is based off of wealth, and so far it has paid off. I think it will for a while. Switching to map making will very much ruin our trading for tech until map making is done. On the issue of others getting there first, either the area is insignificantly small, or someone started settled on it. So our race is with them. It's unclear if anyone else is working towards mapmaking, and I wouldn't want to be caught with my pants down-- starting map making only to have someone else finish it, then us not having enough money to buy it,.
Old July 15, 2002, 21:18   #7
Donal Graeme
Warlord

Local Time: 20:23
When I normally play. I have two objectives in the ancient age: Explore and Expand(I usually leave conquering to the midieval age). However, the situation our great (or soon to be great) nation finds itself in means that we can't dive toward mapmaking. Something I consider essential to forming a great empire. Explorations is a source of wealth and knowledge. However, the costs must be balanced with the expenses. With the upcoming war, we don't have the funds necessary to push for mapmaking. So I say wait until we off the Americans, then go head long for Mapmaking, and explore that area as quickly as possible.
Old July 15, 2002, 21:19   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

indeed. on this huge continent mapmaking may not be on the AI's top 10, but it probably wont be too long anyway.
Old July 15, 2002, 21:19   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:23
Our priority at the moment, which we must NOT lose sight of, is the acquisition of sufficient good land for lebensraum. We are currently planning a war to obtain such land, which will be necessary sooner or later anyway. However, we cannot ignore the prospect that the new land may be better than that upon which we started. (Imagine that! )

Thus, where it does not significantly interfere with our war plans. obtaining MapMaking and having a look at this place should be done also - if we can get some good land before or simultaneously with the war, we should bloody well

For our resource-hungry nation, we also cannot ignore the possibility of finding much needed materials there.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 15, 2002, 21:29   #10
Papa Chubby
Warlord

It seems that we are all in agreement, at least all of us that have submitted a post at this thread. Exploring the potential of whatever landmass that is across the straits of Apolyton is of the utmost importance. The question that remains though is whether we should stick to out battle plans that leave no room for making a galley, or should we delay them, or send our forces out less prepered.
Old July 15, 2002, 22:51   #11
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I agree we need to explore, however I don't think map making would get us to that land unless there are places I don't see(and can't until we get a boat out there)since there is sea between us and the land and mapmaking would only get us to the coast squares and can't get to the sea squares.
Aggie
Old July 15, 2002, 22:53   #12
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

One more thing, since we are doing no research anyway, we can just wait for mapmaking to come up and buy it.
Aggie
Old July 15, 2002, 22:58   #13
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I agree we need to explore, however I don't think map making would get us to that land unless there are places I don't see(and can't until we get a boat out there)since there is sea between us and the land and mapmaking would only get us to the coast squares and can't get to the sea squares.
Aggie
It would be a suicide run, with a chance for success and a chance for failure. (Feeling lucky? )

Which would make it all the more costly, since it might well take us several galleys, several settlers, and several garrison units to get planted.
Old July 15, 2002, 23:00   #14
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
One more thing, since we are doing no research anyway, we can just wait for mapmaking to come up and buy it.
Aggie
Yeah, that looks like the way to go, I guess. (This game is teaching me how powerful tech-buying and techwhoring can be, if skillfully manipulated.)
Old July 15, 2002, 23:08   #15
Edrix

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
Which would make it all the more costly, since it might well take us several galleys, several settlers, and several garrison units to get planted.
Actually, having a few settlers in reserve would help, especially considering all of the possible city sites we've got our eyes on following the War Against the States. We probably shouldn't divert too much time/resources squarely towards the new land, however, until we win. In the event that the land across the channel is not habitable, we could always divert the Galley/Settler elsewhere and settle.

Old July 15, 2002, 23:10   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

It would be a suicide run, with a chance for success and a chance for failure. (Feeling lucky? )

you would never risk a settler.

you send over empty galleys, until one makes it all the way.

you build another galley, and load it with yor settlers / garrisons.

you set it up so the foriegn-based boat is 3 tiles from the other boat.

the mainland boat moves the 3 tiles, and you move the settlers/garrisons across to the other boat.

you risk the galley but not the cargo, and the boat thats on the foriegn land has 0 chance of dying. its the mailand boats you risk / have to replace.

the secod we get mapmaking we should begin trying for it, maybe with a warrior to do a little scouting there.

it would be sweet if it was an decent island that WASNT a jugle.

since im the first person to think of the idea, if it's an island i declare it Uber Isle! if it's part fo another cotinent, part of our own continent, whatever, i dont care about the name

speaking of which, when do i get to name a city?

do i get to name 2 sicne i was elected twice?

EDIT: made some sense of the last setence.
Old July 15, 2002, 23:11   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Edrix

Actually, having a few settlers in reserve would help, especially considering all of the possible city sites we've got our eyes on following the War Against the States. We probably shouldn't divert too much time/resources squarely towards the new land, however, until we win. In the event that the land across the channel is not habitable, we could always divert the Galley/Settler elsewhere and settle.
i have no problem popping out a few settlers in between archers.

when the cities reach a size 4, settlers should be made (pendig the army suitation).
Old July 15, 2002, 23:44   #18
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

you would never risk a settler.

you send over empty galleys, until one makes it all the way.

you build another galley, and load it with yor settlers / garrisons.

you set it up so the foriegn-based boat is 3 tiles from the other boat.

the mainland boat moves the 3 tiles, and you move the settlers/garrisons across to the other boat.
Dang, that's cool! I've never tried that. Kind of like the transfer trick in CivII.
Would it be considered an exploit? Nah.
Old July 16, 2002, 00:04   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

Dang, that's cool! I've never tried that. Kind of like the transfer trick in CivII.
Would it be considered an exploit? Nah.
it's not the same thing (and therefore not an exploit)

the ship chains of civ2 would allow you infinate movement. in this game you have to waste a movement point going onto the boat (you cant just re-load on the new boat, i think).
Old July 16, 2002, 02:54   #20
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
You know what I don't see? An enemy zone of control-- at least some of that land is free for grabbing (assuming it's habitable). If this land is indeed usable, then perhaps our palace need not move to another location, it might yet prove to be the center of our empire.
Very good idea, Epistax!

Since the tiles between the continents(?) look like all sea, shipping a settler over is not a big risk, and it's even zero if we consider to use the ship chaining exploit. If we find habitable land there, the first city will probably have only a small corruption and will be able to build the other settlers itself.

I don't think it's a continent. Continents are much farther from each other, especially on huge maps, and separated by ocean, not sea. I think it's only an island. Anyway, it's useful!

Go for Map making!
Old July 16, 2002, 09:17   #21
Robber Baron
Prince

Who knows, maybe fair Apolyton might be our true capital after all?
Old July 16, 2002, 10:22   #22
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:23
Really cool idea Uberkrux with the using 2 boats to move the settler. Im almost ashamed now that ive never thought of that and lost so many settlers that way in my various games :P

As for the new land, war with the yanks first, then explore the new land, at least thats how id do it. Because we are almost guaranteed to win against the yanks and get a good core empire, the new island might just be 2 squares or it might be enough room for 2 cities between the japanese and zulu
Old July 16, 2002, 12:36   #23
Proserpine
Warlord

Excellent! If we can get over without losing sight of Plan Whatever it is today, it could set us up nicely.
Old July 16, 2002, 12:44   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
We could call it the Uber Gambit
Old July 16, 2002, 12:45   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
Also, I claim naming privileges for the water between the island and mainland - I call it Home Divide.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:30   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh, and dotn worry, mapmaking is defiately a while off. well after thae war with america and stuff.
Old July 16, 2002, 15:17   #27
The Dark Lord
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

I like the idea, except for one thing:
Uber Isle. While I respect Uncle Uber greatly, (at least before he took his new avatar ) I don't think he deserves to have a landmass named after him... maybe we could call it The Promised Land or something like that? After all, it looks like Banana may very well have given us the gift that we need most.
Old July 16, 2002, 15:52   #28
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

bah. i just wanted an isle named after me!

::runs crying into the corner::

Old July 16, 2002, 16:13   #29
The Dark Lord
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

If the island cannot fit more than one city comfortably, then we can go ahead and call it Uber Isle. If the populace votes to do so...
Old July 16, 2002, 16:56   #30
Aggie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
oh, and dotn worry, mapmaking is defiately a while off. well after thae war with america and stuff.
Actually several nations have mapmaking I jsu found out, so it was just 3hrs away
Aggie