Old July 15, 2002, 23:48   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gamecube games
My brother and I went 50/50 on a Gamecube (black, of course, no sissy indigo/purple for me!), and I need some input on games.

The only game we've bought so far is SSBM, which is very good so far, as I expected.

We've also rented Resident Evil and Rogue Leader. After playing through much of RE, I've decided that it's overrated. Sure, it looks amazing (prerendered backgrounds + characters), but I really hate the controls and all of the obscure camera angles it uses.

Rogue Leader is essentially the same as Rogue Squadron, but with really good graphics. Didn't blow me away much though.

So, I've heard a lot of things about Eternal Darkness -- what's that like? If I didn't really like Resident Evil, will I like this?

Any other suggestions?
Old July 16, 2002, 10:57   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 23:23
Tony Hawk 3 is great. It is about the only other game that I have played on Game Cube that you have not mentioned. Oh and the James Bond game that was not that great. Better to play the original classic on N64. But Tony Hawk is a lot of fun, the controls are really neat if you like that type of game. And another fun game is NBA Street - kind of an NBA Jam. Lots of neat things to do including picking up guys like MJ and computer players that are simply amazing in one facet of their game. Worth playing.

The game that I would like to play when I get back to school (don't myself have a GameCube - have to rely on others) is Pikmin. It is supposed to be really good. I would suggest renting it and giving it a try.

Meanwhile, tons of good games are coming soon. The next Mario and Zelda game. The sequel to Perfect Dark and Star Fox. And if you like sports games - the system has some great titles coming including NCAA Football 2003, which is the follow up to the hit PS2 game last year. So I have been considering buying a Cube for a while now. Probably wait to ask for it for Christmas.

Edit: Had forgotten about NBA Street
Old July 16, 2002, 21:31   #3
Cavalcadeus
Warlord

Local Time: 23:23
I have Rogue Leader, 007: Agent under Fire, and Eternal Darkness.
Rogue Leader was just a slightly upgraded verion of the 64 game. Not worth the 80 bucks.
I beat most of the 007 single player game in one night.
The multiplayer was OK but not a fun as 007 for the 64. Eternal Darkness is more of a puzzle game then anything else. It has some good cinematics and insanity effects that make the game worth buying or at least renting (if you have alot of time to sit down and play it). I like it more then Resident Evil.

So far I have not been amazed by any of the games but some of the upcoming games look great. I don't know about the Zelda cel shading thing. It looks really cartoony.
Old July 16, 2002, 22:46   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Tony Hawk 3 is great. It is about the only other game that I have played on Game Cube that you have not mentioned. Oh and the James Bond game that was not that great. Better to play the original classic on N64.
Yep, I love Tony Hawk 3, but I already own it for the Xbox. And the Xbox has an extra level and the ability to use custom soundtracks from your own ripped music, so I'll be keeping that copy.

I rented AUF and was disappointed in it. The new Bond game looks sweet, though, completely different developers.

Quote:
Meanwhile, tons of good games are coming soon. The next Mario and Zelda game. The sequel to Perfect Dark and Star Fox.
Yep, Mario comes out August 27th or so, Zelda in February.

Quote:
And if you like sports games - the system has some great titles coming including NCAA Football 2003, which is the follow up to the hit PS2 game last year. So I have been considering buying a Cube for a while now. Probably wait to ask for it for Christmas.
From the IGN preview posted yesterday, it seems that the Gamecube version of NCAA Football 2003 is going to be cut down slightly due to the lack of sufficient storage space. The Xbox version is identical to the PS2 version, but with upgraded graphics and a fully functional replay feature (which covers the entire period of the specific game). The GCN version lacks stuff like offensive stat tracking on defensive players. They really need a bigger memory card, even the 251 is too small.
Old July 20, 2002, 12:48   #5
JohnIII
Warlord

Local Time: 04:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Super Monkey Ball. Feed the addiction...I'm going to trade in Rogue Leader, but you'll have to kill me before you take SMB. Super Smash Bros. Melee is very good, too.

Oh, and there's a Mario Party coming out for it in the winter. YEEEEEEHAH!
Old July 26, 2002, 22:18   #6
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 06:23
I Second Mario Sunshine (surprise, eh? ). It scored 38 out of 40 in Famitsu. That says everything.

I'd recommend giving Luigi's Mansion a rent. It's a disgracefully short game (I beat it in 11hrs), but while it lasts, it's very, very fun. The perfect renting game. Naturally, I bought it.

Super Monkey Ball works quite the same, a little to short (unless you're totally off your rocker and aim for unlocking the Master levels, that is.) It got a lot of small partygames though, so if you're inclined at multiplaying it may last longer.

Wave Race: Blue Storm is pretty fun, and beating the game is actually a challenge (took me a week). What keeps you playing isn't so much "gaming happiness" as it is frustration, though.
Old July 27, 2002, 02:08   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Eternal Darkness is pretty good. The controls are better than RE and I find it to be much more interesting than RE's "run back and forth using items to unlock stuff" gameplay. It's fun to just get your sanity meter down and see what crazy stuff happens when you go insane (got a Blue Screen of Death once...). So you'd probably want to at least give it a rent.
Old July 27, 2002, 17:13   #8
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 00:23
I'd like to reccomend Super Smash Bros. melee. Its one of the best mp games around. even better when ya get 4 of ur friends.
Old July 27, 2002, 19:39   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
how does it compare to ps2
Old July 27, 2002, 21:39   #10
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 06:23
Quote:
Originally posted by trickey
I'd like to reccomend Super Smash Bros. melee. Its one of the best mp games around. even better when ya get 4 of ur friends.
It would have been a loot better without the cute little pokemons and multi-colored Yoshi's hanging around. *pukes*
Old July 29, 2002, 15:37   #11
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
It would have been a loot better without the cute little pokemons and multi-colored Yoshi's hanging around. *pukes*
Bah, I could kick your ass with Yoshi or Jigglypuff.