View Poll Results: What is your feeling on the "Two Presidents" decision by our candidates?
Approve 16 26.67%
Disapprove 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16, 2002, 20:43   #61
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 00:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The question has been posed in threads (The presidency election one mainly) If they will honor the decision of this poll. It is my opinion that they don't have a choice, and must honor it's opinion.
Old July 16, 2002, 20:45   #62
Captain
King

Local Time: 23:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

Also, many good solutions have been proposed, such as by Timeline, but the "citizenry" cannot arbitrarily chose the solution to this problem on this thread. The solution should be voted on like normal legislation by the governing body (I dunno if that includes the citizenry, I haven't been active in the game until just a few days ago)

Kman
Kman (and anyone else curious), we are the "governing body". I will now explain how I understand our government to function. If someone knows better, please correct me.

1) The citizens on the member list form the "legislature" which passes laws into existence through voting on polls. Anyone can create such a poll and polling rules/guidelines are stated in the Code of Laws (COL).

2.1) Regular laws, policies, and other decisions can be reached by a simple majority or a 'most votes wins' result. As it is, our Code of Laws (popularly known as the Constitution) isn't clear on the exact polling result requirements to pass such laws, policies, and other decisions. Those laws, policies, and other decisions have substance (and are carried out) but are not added to the Code of Laws.

2.2) Amendments to the Code of Law, which is our "ultimate" "permanent" document, must be passed with a 2/3 vote.

2.3) It is generally accepted that 2/3 (or 50%) refers to 2/3 (or 50%) of total votes cast, not the total number of available voters. However, this is not explicitly stated either.

3) The "Government" at present consists of the citizenry (which I have taken the liberty of calling the Legislature since they all vote on polls) along with the Administration (executive team of President, VP, and ministers who are elected by the citizenry). However, most people mean the Administration (executive team) when they refer to the Government. The Administration (executive team) actually plays the game and has the responsibility for making those decisions. They can (and often do)poll the citizenry for feedback and direction in decision-making, but the COL states that they are not required to follow such polls (though they usually do follow the public will).

4) Any one may propose "bills" through discussion threads and then create polls to pass those bills into law. So far, the ministers usually take the initiative but this does not mean others cannot do so.

5) The possibility of having unofficial aides for governmental positions exist, but have no official power at present. Currently, AFAIK, no one has made use of these 'aides'.

6) There is no current Judicial system as consensus on some significant issues has yet to be reached. There is however, great public support to create one.

7) There has been talk of creating a Senate as well, however, this has not met with consensus nor sufficient public support. A non-serious Senate does exist, but I believe this is simply for flavour. (Personal opinion: I do not believe a "Senate" is necessary since we already have a Legislature, formed of all our active citizenry, that votes on laws).

8) Parties are an "unofficial" creation (in the sense that they are not in the COL) but have significant sway in the game.

9) Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) such as the War Academy, Culture Club, Thinkers Guild, etc... are also "unofficial" creations, much like Parties. The government is not required to heed their advice, but frequently does.

Edit: I have been here since the beginning of the civ 3 demo game and have kept fairly up to date with most things, however, it is entirely possible I could have left some significant things out.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 16, 2002, 20:49   #63
Kuciwalker
Deity

Well, sorting out the votes is the easiest solution.
Old July 16, 2002, 20:49   #64
Moral Hazard
King

Captain: That's a very good summary. Pity it's buried on this thread.
Old July 16, 2002, 22:21   #65
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Captain,
Great summery!
Perhaps it could be reposted somewhere more useful? That is about how I figured the gov worked through context, though I had never had time until recently to read the code of laws and all that stuff. On this topic, I think a senate would be a poor idea, why make our effecient direct democracy into a republic?
Thanks again

Kman
Old July 17, 2002, 02:08   #66
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:24
Well, in case anyone is keeping up with this and hasn't heard (I hadn't until Ninot pointed it out ), the crisis is over. Trip has conceded the election based on the poll results.

And our top priority re amendments at the moment MUST be reaching a decision on the much-needed judiciary. I urge everyone trundel over to the relevant thread and let us flesh out what we all find acceptable!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!