Old July 16, 2002, 14:02   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
US Congress lobbies for the return of the marbles of Parthenon to Greece.
I only got the news in Greek.

http://greece.flash.gr//soon/2002/7/16/18993id/

I would just like to say thanks to the US and the Americans for taking initiative and supporting us in this noble quest. To bring the marbles of Parthenon back to Acropolis from where they are held in captivity in the British Museum

Thanks

I'd just like to try and translate back to english the names of the american senators who have taken action for the US Congress to vote in favor and lobby for the return of the marbles to their place of origin.

(sorry for the spellking mistakes - Translated from Greek)

Fitzerald, Toriceli, Liberman, Sarbanis, Pain, Maloni, Blumenaouer, Berclay, Berman, Blakocevic, Crawly, Doyle, Essou, Fossela, Gilman, Hidsi, Kenedy, Nolemberg, Lantos, Lee, Moagovern, McNalti, Mink, Palown, Ros- Leitinen, Roybart Allard, Waters, Bilirakis.

Again thank you very much

The marbles of Parthenon will return and when they do, initiatives and the help of all those who added to this effort will be remembered
Old July 16, 2002, 14:04   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:26
They are all sorry that Greece has lost its marbles .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 16, 2002, 14:07   #3
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Imran, you dirty *******, I was just about to use that stupid joke!
Old July 16, 2002, 14:09   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

MWAHAHAH
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 16, 2002, 14:09   #5
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 05:26
HA! We'd give up Gibraltar before we return your marbles..oh crap..

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old July 16, 2002, 14:21   #6
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
While I don't care one way or the other about some fancy calcium carbonate blocks, it's heart warming to see the USA once again supporting it's unfailing ally the UK and show how much the "special friendship" matters to it. Raise the tariffs a bit a bit more, makes us feel all special inside.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old July 16, 2002, 15:11   #7
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yesterday random Senators were talking about Sesame Street. Today they are talking about marbles. Don't they have anything do to up on Capitol Hill?
Old July 16, 2002, 15:22   #8
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I saw an article a while back where some in the Australian goverment supported the return of the marbles. Don't know where it was though.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 16, 2002, 15:22   #9
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They must be like poly posters, always concerned about the other guy's country Iain!
Old July 16, 2002, 15:28   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:26
I support the return of the marbles to Sesame Street!!
Old July 16, 2002, 15:31   #11
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Don't they have anything do to up on Capitol Hill?
Not really. Feel free to snub them. It isn't even close to a majority of Senators.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 16, 2002, 15:53   #12
Winston
Emperor

Surely there must have just been a documentary on Parthenon's bygone splendour for so many lawmakers to get involved. At least that's the way it's done here. Show a 40 minute program depicting the outrageous conditions homeless cats have to endure and a special session is called in the Parliament.

Still, fanatic nationalism about ancient times is an important trait in Greek culture, so let's play along this time also.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:08   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Winston

Still, fanatic nationalism about ancient times is an important trait in Greek culture, so let's play along this time also.
hey, we're talking about the pinnacle of human civilisation here!
Old July 16, 2002, 16:09   #14
DerSchwarzfalke
Chieftain

Since when does the US Congress debate anything of serious importance to the people of the country? To the serious interests of the lobby groups, yep, but nothing else.

I think the people need a lobby group
Old July 16, 2002, 16:27   #15
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
In 1978, a European court ruled the marbles were the property of the British Museum, and that's in Europe. So is Greece. European heritage is held in Europe. what's the problem?

And even if the marbles were returned to Greece -they wouldn't go back up on the Parthenon but move from a British to a Greek museum. In Athens? Not necessarily. That's because other regions have prior claims. In the 5th century BC, Athens and its neighbours united as the Delian League to fight the Persians. Athens then appropriated the communal war chest which Pericles used to beautify Athens.

So the Parthenon's frieze and metopes weren't paid for by Athenians after all, and the next campaign for the return of the marbles could conceivably come from Naxos, Thasos, Boeotia and the rest of the league (now partly in Greece and partly in Turkey).

Of course, if the descendants of Phidias's wife put in a bill for all that unpaid housework supporting her sculptor husband, then even at a modest interest rate, auctioning off the Elgin marbles wouldn't cover it.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:30   #16
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Yesterday random Senators were talking about Sesame Street. Today they are talking about marbles. Don't they have anything do to up on Capitol Hill?
Clearly not. I mean, it's not as if we have any serious issues facing the nation or anything

This is none of our concern. This is between Britain and Greece.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 17, 2002, 06:45   #17
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Spray,
"I saw an article a while back where some in the Australian goverment supported the return of the marbles. Don't know where it was though."

Quite a lot of governments, members of parliement and NGOs support the cause of returning the marbles of Parthenon to their rightfull place. Glad to see that the US is joining in and quite actively, I might add.

Dino,
"Not really. Feel free to snub them. It isn't even close to a majority of Senators."

These are the senators who have taken action and submitted not one but two voting procedurs for the whole US Congress to vote in favor of the return of the marbles. Many times the voting procedure is called by one person only, so the fact that they were numerous of them only makes things better.

Sagacious,
"In 1978, a European court ruled the marbles were the property of the British Museum, and that's in Europe. So is Greece. European heritage is held in Europe. what's the problem? "

Then you should give us hatever you have that doesnt even come close to the magnificance of the marbles of Parthenon to us. Say the queens crown jewelry or something. They will still be in Europe.
Fact is you already have lots of stolen rtifacts from many countries. The marbles of Parthenon though belong to Greece.

"And even if the marbles were returned to Greece -they wouldn't go back up on the Parthenon but move from a British to a Greek museum. In Athens? Not necessarily. That's because other regions have prior claims. In the 5th century BC, Athens and its neighbours united as the Delian League to fight the Persians. Athens then appropriated the communal war chest which Pericles used to beautify Athens."

Yes.

"So the Parthenon's frieze and metopes weren't paid for by Athenians after all, and the next campaign for the return of the marbles could conceivably come from Naxos, Thasos, Boeotia and the rest of the league (now partly in Greece and partly in Turkey). "

Let's see, Naxos, Thasos and Boetia are all part of Greece.
But see, the difference is that we are now a Greek state no longer a city state nation. Feel the difference. Plus the marbles of Parthenon addorned the well Parthenon. SO they go where they were stolen from.

"Of course, if the descendants of Phidias's wife put in a bill for all that unpaid housework supporting her sculptor husband, then even at a modest interest rate, auctioning off the Elgin marbles wouldn't cover it."

There are no elgin marbles. It's like me stealing Backinham palaces and then call it Paiktis' palaces. And it doesnt even boost my ego. (after all they're not too special).
Phidias' wifer would be supporting of the quest for the return of the marbles of Parthenon. Still if her opinion matters so much to you, I propose you visit the oracle of delphi. and munch on some leafs.

The marbles of Parthenon will return. The only thing that keeps them in the british musem is stubborness and fear that once people will demand back their heritage the british museum will be empty!
Old July 17, 2002, 06:53   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
While I don't care one way or the other about some fancy calcium carbonate blocks,

why doesnt this surprise me?

Quote:
it's heart warming to see the USA once again supporting it's unfailing ally the UK and show how much the "special friendship" matters to it. Raise the tariffs a bit a bit more, makes us feel all special inside.
Europe is well aware of your special relationship with the US. George Michael too.

I find it a bit naive though for you to believe that you have some special hold over the US.

Actually I find this move of the american senators particularly friendly considering that in the past decades the relationship of Greece and the US was not exactly on the best of terms.
Old July 17, 2002, 07:01   #19
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
Surely there must have just been a documentary on Parthenon's bygone splendour for so many lawmakers to get involved. At least that's the way it's done here. Show a 40 minute program depicting the outrageous conditions homeless cats have to endure and a special session is called in the Parliament.
Equating homeless cats (or sesame street for that matter) with the marbles of Parthenon is demining and insulting for the person who does it

Quote:
Fanatic nationalism would be to start a war with FYROM over the name and her childish aspirations over half of Greece.

Greeks are proud of their heritage. It's not our fault (actually it is) that it is the best heritage in Europe and the world.

This makes certain people uncomfortable. Barbarians after all
But it does create sometimes anti-Greek feelings on people with complexes. (the trend of wanting to be a descendant to an ancient Greek or wanting to be compared with ancient Greece)

I dont think Greeks are any more proud than the english for their heritage. It's just that there is no comparison between the two
Old July 17, 2002, 07:06   #20
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

example of the British Civilization
Quote:
...one other British tourist I bumped into whilst in Rhodes proudly told me how he had vomited at the top of the ancient Acropolis at Lindos, so hungover was he...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/tal...00/2073922.stm
Old July 17, 2002, 07:06   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

After all in which other country a construction worker can look upon a marble of 2000 years old and understand the words? If this construction worker feels a connection to his ancestors why is he to be blamed for it?

The most nationalistic people are to be found away from Greece.

Greek "nationalism" is cosmopolitan in contrast with other peoples' nationalism which is hermetic and racist.
Old July 17, 2002, 07:46   #22
Winston
Emperor

Sure.
Old July 17, 2002, 07:47   #23
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Loved the counter argument
Glad we agree
Old July 17, 2002, 07:56   #24
The Pioneer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
example of the British Civilization
Quote:
...one other British tourist I bumped into whilst in Rhodes proudly told me how he had vomited at the top of the ancient Acropolis at Lindos, so hungover was he...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/tal...00/2073922.stm
It's even worse in Portugal, I have met quite a few brits in my travels bu they are the nastiest and most tasteless tourists for sure, plenty of exceptions but still. They could solve the problem by finally getting their act together and instate a nightlife in the UK!
Old July 17, 2002, 07:58   #25
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Quote:
After all in which other country a construction worker can look upon a marble of 2000 years old and understand the words? If this construction worker feels a connection to his ancestors why is he to be blamed for it?
Israel?
Old July 17, 2002, 08:01   #26
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yes and China also.
But I thought all your construction workers were Palestinians, see.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:05   #27
Az
Emperor

no , there are jewish construction workers, but most of the construction workers are Romanians, and Ukrianians.

not many people want to work with palestinians, as there have been many occasions in which the palestinians killed their employers.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:07   #28
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Well if the pay was not adequate...
Old July 17, 2002, 08:15   #29
Az
Emperor

Oh, look , the great revolutionary has spoken.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:16   #30
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Wha?

Come, come my 2 meter Dalgetti ( ), it was just a joke.

But you didn't exactly clarify the line "palestinians have killed their employers". It looks too much like easy slur, wether it is or not.