Old July 16, 2002, 15:01   #1
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Will the AI understand its goals in scenarios?
Will there be a way to set goals for the AI in scenarios? Is there going to be a way to keep them on focus?

Example: Will the AI, as America in a WWII scenario, launch an attack on Germany? Or will it colonize Greenland and sign embargoes against the Russians?

I would be very happy if you could[list=1][*]Lock teams[*]Keep the AI focused on the war effort.[/list=1]

Thanks in advance.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:04   #2
dunk
Prince

It sure didn't in Civ II. Yet, everyone always loved them. I would hate Russia signing a peace treaty with Germany in the WWII scenario when i was the Allies (Britain + NYC and Washington)
Old July 16, 2002, 18:26   #3
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:27
in Civ2 you could disable negotians between certain civs (for instance the germans and russians in a WW2 scenario).
Old July 16, 2002, 20:08   #4
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk
It sure didn't in Civ II. Yet, everyone always loved them. I would hate Russia signing a peace treaty with Germany in the WWII scenario when i was the Allies (Britain + NYC and Washington)
Indeed. That was the single most irritating aspect of Civ 2 scenarios. It all but ruined the historical effect of such as the WW II scenario when you have weird alliances or peace treaties happening.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:55   #5
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

It all but ruined the historical effect of such as the WW II scenario when you have weird alliances or peace treaties happening.
The only way to stop that was stopping the AI from talking to each other. That was fine - but it limited the scenario a bit. Civ3 should retain that but have scripting to allow diplomacy to commence on a certain date - like when the war is supposed to be over.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 21, 2002, 21:28   #6
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:27
Yes, and the ai will even know that it exists.
Old July 21, 2002, 21:40   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

one game i was curious, and up for a challenge, so i played as Spain in the ww2 sceario.

The Allies made peace with the Axis and Declared war on the Russians.

Me and the Nazis took out the French, and then i turned on Hitler. The Allies declared war on me.

gah.
Old July 22, 2002, 15:18   #8
dunk
Prince

Wierd happenings aren't always bad. I mean, why play if the situation was to be the same every time? But, when it happens every time and the Allies colonize Greenland in every single game, it becomes annoying.
Old July 26, 2002, 12:24   #9
Goingonit
Warlord

Here's how it worked in Civ 2. In the events file, you just put a NEGOTIATION trigger, which meant that a civ A could conduct diplomacy with civ B - in other words, all treaties that are in place initially between those 2 civs remain so for the whole scenario. Youcan do this for all computer civs or something.

And the scenario does have to be relatively historically played; it's you, as the human, who is supposed to be writing history, not the dumb AI.
Old July 26, 2002, 14:06   #10
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 04:27
It's a shame that you can't give the AI objectives: it's yet another thing lacking from the "fully functional scenario editor" (ahem!)
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 28, 2002, 00:57   #11
Soviet Beast
Settler

Civ 3 is the final game in the Civ series.. It just cant live up to its expectations anymore. Not that Civ 3 is bad.. its just not what it should have been. I question whether i will buy the XP or not
Old July 28, 2002, 02:59   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:27
Do us a favour. Don't.

Oh my! Where is the 'moderator action'?