Old July 16, 2002, 17:11   #1
El Civ
Warlord

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I need technical help
My Civ games keep crashing during play! The box that appears says "Program Error" in the heading and the following below:
Quote:
civ2.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
So I go to Admin Tools and open the event viewer, whereupon I find this (for one of the crashes)
Quote:
The application,. \Debug/civ2.exe generated an application error. The exception generated was c0000005 at address 005BBAA5 ( )
From what I can tell, the address number above is different for each crash that has happened. From my inquiries elsewhere I have been asked about what service pack I have, whether my video drivers are the latest, etc. The above, from the event viewer, would help me know the problem if only I understood it. Can anyone help?
Old July 16, 2002, 17:23   #2
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What windows do you have installed?

If you use Windows XP, try switch on the compability mode.

What Civ do you use?

I recall Civ2 2.42 crashing with the Multiplayer Patch (for hotseat)

Try also closing all others programs!

Last edited by yaroslav; July 16, 2002 at 19:33.
Old July 16, 2002, 20:01   #3
El Civ
Warlord

Yaroslav, I have Win 2000 (should've mentioned that). I did upgrade from 2.42 to MGE with Cedric's patch and he is among the other parties I've pleaded with for assistance. The others are guessing my video drivers are at issue but I've yet to determine anything. I do close other programs when running the game, save what is always on in the system tray and that is a limited amount that does not tax the processer nor my RAM (in fact they register only an iota of use for either).
Old July 17, 2002, 13:27   #4
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 00:27
EL Civ hello!

The Civ 2 game was not created for a win 2K enviornment but for a older Win 95 or 98, so 2K will support it without any additional service packs. Also I have seen civ run on a 4 MB video card that was at 800X600 and could barely open a browser window So i do not think 2K is the problem. When you installed Civ2 did you use all the default options???

Do you see anything before the civ 2 generated errors message?? I had an error for a while (also on 2K) that would show up after the intro to the game. I reinstalled and found that the Units.GIF file had been found by windows and was associated with aonther program, after the reinstall it removed that association and the program worked fine.

While i do not have the patch i hope this may help you...........Or maybe we need a patch for the patch????seems alot of peole have had trouble with it.
Old July 17, 2002, 14:44   #5
El Civ
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedd
EL Civ hello!
When you installed Civ2 did you use all the default options???
Yes I did.

Quote:
Do you see anything before the civ 2 generated errors message?? I had an error for a while (also on 2K) that would show up after the intro to the game. I reinstalled and found that the Units.GIF file had been found by windows and was associated with aonther program, after the reinstall it removed that association and the program worked fine.
Yes! I sometimes get some error about something not being able to run until some other audio feature is turned off. Sorry I can't remember the specifics. This error occurs only about 1 time in 5 that I open the game.

I had first installed the patch to my game without a fresh install of Civ. Cedric recommends that the patch follow a fresh install and when problems developed I did just that, wiping Civ from my hard drive first. I can try it all again, since I have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:42   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
Refering to all posts prior to this one...

First of I'm running Civ II UCC with the latest official patch on Win XP without any trouble at all, so the is compatible with this version of Win as far as I'm concerned. A friend of mine has used Civ II UCC with W2K without anyt trouble at all, so it's likely to be a problem with your current system configuration. Hardware drivers or applications in general.

Are you using an antivirus monitoring program that runs in the background (i.e. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect)? Are using an integrated sound chipset for audio? Any trouble with other Windows applications or games (not DirectX)? And what about DirectX? Trouble? Have you updated your drivers (esp. GPU)? Newest version of the Indeo video codec?
Old July 18, 2002, 18:08   #7
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

El Civ,
If you get an error again try to jot it down, or hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard and then you can open MS paint and paste the image into a BMP by goint to edit and selecting paste from the menu.

I did not mean to suggest that CIV had bad programming or that it wouldn't work on Win 2K what i meant was that If the program has an error it is more likely to be CIV missing a file or not reading it Properly than incompatability issues.

Although you could have a prob with audio drivers depenting on what that audio error acctually said.
Old July 18, 2002, 22:44   #8
El Civ
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Refering to all posts prior to this one...

Are you using an antivirus monitoring program that runs in the background (i.e. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect)? Are using an integrated sound chipset for audio? Any trouble with other Windows applications or games (not DirectX)? And what about DirectX? Trouble? Have you updated your drivers (esp. GPU)? Newest version of the Indeo video codec?
I use Norton, which does run in the background (System Works 2002, if it matters). I am a bit of a technical moron so I do not know what an integrated sound chipset is. I have had no trouble with other applications in Windows and none with DirectX either. I updated my drivers when I installed Win2K. There were 3 drivers that were not compatible: modem, a DOS emulator and something I cannot remember. I updated all but the DOS emulator, which my brother (who was helping me) said was probably for a game and as he had no idea what it was to just do without. Funny, but he told me that if I had problems with a game later I would know which game used it (that just came to me). However, if Civ needed that then it would have installed itself again, right? I have installed the Indeo set of drivers (5.11).
Old July 18, 2002, 23:20   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
Quote:
Originally posted by El Civ

I use Norton, which does run in the background (System Works 2002, if it matters).
Next time when you try to install Civ II, temporarily disable the Auto-Protect feature during the setup procedure. It's done by right clicking the taskbar icon and selecting Disable Auto-Protect. The feature is known (as Symnatec and many software manufacturers acknowledge) to cause faulty installations occasionally, but that's still rare, but that may still happen. But no need to worry, viruses are a more dangerous threat.
Quote:
I am a bit of a technical moron so I do not know what an integrated sound chipset is.
What sound card are you currently using?

An integrated audio chipset is available on many motherboards so that the audio features are provided by it, and then there's no need for a sound card, unless you want to make MIDI music or play games with environmental audio, etc. A motherboard that has an integrated sound chipset, usually has 3 audio connectors plus internal ones for CD-audio and AUX.
Quote:
However, if Civ needed that then it would have installed itself again, right?
Nope, because Windows doesn't know what drivers Civ II needs. But the DOS mode support is not assumably causing any trouble, because my guess is that you're having a Creative SoundBlaster based sound card on your system. In that case the driver in question is purely the DOS driver needed by it, so that it could be used in "real" DOS mode. But I don't get why W2K would want to get it installed? Try to get the latest SB W2K drivers from http://www.americas.creative.com/sup...p?RD=download.

And, yes, Civ II will work without that fancy DOS support, so it's not the problem. However it's still better to try to solve that driver problem.

BTW it looks like your bro would have told you something he doesn't seem to know well, when he claimed that Windows would know if Civ II would need those drivers.

Edit Fixed the link to Creative's website.

Last edited by Rasbelin; July 20, 2002 at 01:14.
Old July 19, 2002, 09:24   #10
Zedd
Prince

Rasbelin is quite intuitive on this subject
I concurr with the Norton and sound blaster driver recomendations. Both are known for "quirks"

My friend cold never use his HP printer correctly becouse norton would keep uninstalling the drivers
He had to reinstall every restart and then after about five prints norton would remove it again.