Old November 24, 2000, 12:38   #1
Zagribahh
Settler

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I did something really stupid!!!
Try to read this carefully. I'm not that computer savvy and some of what I say is probably a little odd sounding. or completely impossible to understand.

Yesterday I did something really stupid. I was downloading a scenario of the web and in the process of unzipping it when I accidently saved it a my Civ2 part of my C drive. Then some screen came up and asked me if I would like to rewrite the event.txt from the game with that of the scenario. I was thinking that I had already done something incredibly stupid so I clicked yes and tried to get out. But later I loaded one of my saved games and I got the message that there was an error in the event.txt. Now many sections of my game have turned out like the trojanwar scenario I was loading. So after I'd copied all of the civ2 data on my computer to a disk, and deleted the remaining, I tried to reinstall Civ2. But then a message came up saying that the WWII scenario wouldn't install. So if anyone knows how I can get Civ2 working again please tell me. Does it make a difference what version I have? Because I don't know. I just want my normal Civ2 back! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
[This message has been edited by Zagribahh (edited November 24, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Zagribahh (edited November 24, 2000).]
Old November 24, 2000, 23:59   #2
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Local Time: 22:47
Sounds like you must "reinstall" everything -brandnew- in another folder, to me.
One thing that might help, before you create another scenario folder... is to get "C2MM" that prevents from copying over -backup- files with modpacks.
That's one reason i always name my "*.TXT" "*!!.TXT" in the Zipped patches.
The above solution is for 2.42, 2.68 and 2.78.
If your version is MGE or Tot... it's a different story. Scenarios, sounds for them, reside in their own folders apart from the main(root) executables, *.GIF's and others.
Old November 27, 2000, 03:43   #3
Dissident Aggressor

I'd just reinstall civ2. Take the files you want to save out first (maps, scenarios, save games, halloffame.dat whatever you don't want to lose). Uninstall it and reinstall it.

Old November 27, 2000, 17:02   #4
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
this is exactally why I am afraid to install any mods.

Is there a safe way to do this?
Old November 27, 2000, 18:24   #5
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 16:47
Yeah, what I do is I save my normal game files as *1.*. Then for mod-packs I save it to my scenario file and to my CIV2 file. Then when I want to play a normal game I change the mod's files to *2.* and my originals to *.*. I do this with my custom rules and original files for MP.

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org