Old July 16, 2002, 21:09   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Optimal Number of Cities and Forbidden Palace Placement
What is the optimal number of cities for standard and large maps? After which corruption becomes crippling...

Where is the best place to put the forbidden palace. I heard that Forbidden palace doesn't help the type of corruption based on distance. SO I am kind of confused about the Forbidden Palace in General. I always put it on the other side of the continent I was on.
Old July 16, 2002, 23:19   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Optimal # of Cities (default, versions 1.17 and (I believe) 1.21): Huge 36; Large 24; Std 18; Small 14; Tiny 12.

My understanding is that corruption based on distance is the FUNDAMENTAL value of the Forbidden Palace. The only other purpose is for assisting in cultural flip issues. I am using the term "corruption" as referring to both corruption and waste.

The ideal is to place the FP such that all your cities are as close as possible to either your palace or FP. Of course, that is not much guidance since you are supposedly going to be adding cities (by conquest, etc.). You can only build a FP once, but you can build a new palace. If I have (or anticipate) substantial settlements on another continent before I build FP, then I might build it there.

With version 1.21, you may get 50% or better production on another continent with courthouse and police station.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 16, 2002, 23:24   #3
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:28
Re: Optimal Number of Cities and Forbidden Palace Placement
I don't think the Forbidden Palace helps with culture flipping like the Palace (except for the culture it generates, which would be some help to the city it's built in).
Old July 17, 2002, 11:32   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:28
The FP has no effect on culture flipping.

Basically, you want an empire shaped like a barbell, with the Palace and FP centered nicely with rings of cities surrounding them. Having a well-placed FP is like doubling your empire.

The FP only deals with distance corruption, as far as I know. It allows a second "core" area - like a duplicate of the area around your capitol.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:34   #5
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 22:28
Another thing you can do in building your FP and/or moving your Palace if the map doesn't lend itself to optimal placements, would be to build them where you get maximum benefit, like in the midst of two clumps of productive cities.

I usually try to do the barbell if the map accomodates me.
Old July 21, 2002, 13:11   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Optimal # of Cities (default, versions 1.17 and (I believe) 1.21): Huge 36; Large 24; Std 18; Small 14; Tiny 12.
It's only 32 for huge maps and 16 for standard maps (both v1.17 and v1.21).
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 21, 2002, 13:20   #7
Oerdin
Deity

I was under the impression that flips become more probable wilrh greater distance from the capital. The FP would reduce the effective distance and thus reduce the likely hood of some cities flipping (amoung other things).
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 21, 2002, 19:02   #8
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I was under the impression that flips become more probable wilrh greater distance from the capital. The FP would reduce the effective distance and thus reduce the likely hood of some cities flipping (amoung other things).
IIRC, the FP only affects distance for corruption, not culture flips.

Check this thread. About halfway down, frankdog mentions he had his FP city itself flip! (What a wasted GL; poor guy.)
Old July 21, 2002, 20:13   #9
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 22:28
does the FP become available faster under 1.29? Seems like it shows up after the 10th city, not half the OCN.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:25   #10
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
The FP has no effect on culture flipping.
Whre di you get this info? I've been placing FP at the borders of my empire and then watched nearby AI cities flip. I alway use FP placement as a way of peaceful conquest. This has happened to me so many times i just cant believe it's an coincidence.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:35   #11
Rust
Chieftain

Yea I just had a city flip to me from a civ with twice the culture. It was next to my FP. Though it was extremely far from their capita, maybe 6 city lengths. From my capital maybe 4 cities away.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:40   #12
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:28
Solution to flips - destroy the civ entirely. Enslave their people, burn their houses. MUAHAHAHAH

Kill the women and rape the horses, err, ah....
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 22, 2002, 05:49   #13
Thoth
King

I believe the FP does have an effect on number of cities corruption. I've noticed in several games that after I get the "Our people want to build the Forbidden Palace...." message, additional cities increase corruption/waste in all cities. Once the FP is finished, this effect decreases. I'll keep a close eye on it next game.
Old July 22, 2002, 13:12   #14
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Check out Alexman's magnum opus on corruption. I'm sure it's mostly still relevant to 1.29, and IIRC the FP only affects corruption from the distance factor.
Old July 22, 2002, 14:03   #15
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Thanks Dr.! I've been updating that thread periodically, so it should be up-to-date.

As for the effect of FP on number of cities corruption, it definitely has an effect in all governments except Communism. The cities around the FP have their rank (which determines corruption due to cities) start from 1 again. But this is not exactly the same as doubling the optimal number of cities because cities that are close to both the palace and the FP count against the totals for both.

For Communism I didn't see an effect when I was testing (1.16f) but Soren recently said that it doubles the optimal number. I'll have to check again.
Old July 22, 2002, 14:45   #16
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
For Communism I didn't see an effect when I was testing (1.16f) but Soren recently said that it doubles the optimal number. I'll have to check again.
That's a patch 1.29f feature.

And I like it.
Old July 22, 2002, 14:54   #17
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hmm, so perhaps communism might not suck quite so royally anymore.............