Old July 20, 2002, 16:25   #271
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
YAY?!?

::Sighs.:: But still nothing on the freeking stupid governers Oh well

Hmm... Is it just me? Or does this look like most of what was suppose to be 'fixed/changed' with in PTW?
Old July 20, 2002, 20:05   #272
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 04:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark

Boris, you have been around a little while (unlike some of the ignorant posters here) to know that Firaxis and some here were hyping this as a scenario editor. They even said that they expect fans to create custom scenarios to be included in PtW and they said that the community will get a head start on making scenarios. The problem is that...

we still cannot make scenarios.

Firaxis apparently have forgotten what Civ scenarios are because it is insulting to think that with the advanced map editor, one can make true Civ scenarios. I wish everyone here, including Firaxis, would stop kidding themselves. But with Firaxis promoting "scenarios" and with the mod community thinking that they are making "scenarios", I really wonder what to expect in PtW? Will they keep promoting this lie?

And you wonder why those that made hundreds or thousands of posts in Civ3 forums are not around anymore (with an exception of a few)?
I think you're slightly out of order. Most companies wouldn't even think about doing extras for their games(CTP2 is a good example of the developer doing in the way of after sale addons).

Firaxis are dedicated, and listen to their consumers, which is more than can be said for most.

Okay, it's disappointing that there isn't a diplomacy editor, but how much can you expect one man to do in the time he's had? It's amazing he's done as much as he has.

Now you're going to tell me they should put more people onto working on the editor, but why should they? It makes more sense to have them working on PtW to make it a killer add on, so that people will rush out to buy it.

After all, they are a business, not just some mod makers who do it for the fun of it. They have to make money, and if they don't, their publisher gives them a hard time.

I bet Infogrames are already having a go at Firaxis for releasing too many patches and not sorting it in PtW instead, so get off their back.

I think most of the games industry is having a bit of a problem with funds at the moment, and they wouldn't waste it on free addons.

They'd instead put it into a product they can sell.

Just be glad this is Firaxis, and not Activision(they did CTP2 didn't they? Can't remember exactly lol). If it had been them, we'd have one patch then cya later alligator.

So praise them, don't have a go.

Chris

PS: Like I said, I'm disappointed, but it makes sense to put these things in addons. I'll be buying PtW for sure, and maybe if enough of us by that Firaxis will have the money and spirit to give us another few free addons.
Old July 20, 2002, 23:03   #273
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
One person did the AI for Civ3!
If only activision had that person to help with CTP2 then we would have the perfect tool to create scenario's as CTP was quite open coded to make substational changes.

It was just that the AI was just so so bad.
Old July 20, 2002, 23:13   #274
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 22:30
Chris: I appreciate your thoughtful reply and I don't necessarily disagree. Those that have been around for the past 2 years know that I keep harping about scenarios (which is about the only reason I play Civ). I just don't want Firaxis to think that they can get by with a very incomplete scenario editor, esp. when they promised that the Civ3 editor will be even better than Civ2. In some areas, it is better but in other very critical areas, they have not even come close to matching Civ2. I just want to make sure fans are aware of that (I assume Firaxis is, but I'm not even sure about that) and put the pressure on to make sure they deliver a scenario editor...sometime.
Old July 21, 2002, 10:31   #275
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS

This should read:
* Changed Military Advisor to evaluate armies based on relative strengths of units as opposed to number of units.
Now that's quite clever. It is a bit silly to say that a side with 8 knights has more power than someone with 4 tanks

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 21, 2002, 10:56   #276
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Chris: I appreciate your thoughtful reply and I don't necessarily disagree. Those that have been around for the past 2 years know that I keep harping about scenarios (which is about the only reason I play Civ). I just don't want Firaxis to think that they can get by with a very incomplete scenario editor, esp. when they promised that the Civ3 editor will be even better than Civ2. In some areas, it is better but in other very critical areas, they have not even come close to matching Civ2. I just want to make sure fans are aware of that (I assume Firaxis is, but I'm not even sure about that) and put the pressure on to make sure they deliver a scenario editor...sometime.
Well by the sounds of it, they're planning on adding a number of things in PtW, so I suspect your wishes will come true then. So I guess you'll just have to exercise some patience. Frankly, I'm more disappointed that we didn't get auto-bombard this time, rather than with any shortcomings in the ability to create scenarios. As a modder myself, I have plenty to work with for the time being.
Old July 21, 2002, 15:30   #277
heidlejohn
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:30
accelerated production
Quote:
Originally posted by cbraund
Accelerated production doubles the speed of production but not of research, meaning you can build twice as much between techs.

Chris
From the few games I started with accelerated production to see what it does, in those games research was also speeded up. That could have been from more setters = more cities or more buildings promoting research, but research seemed to also go much faster. I was playing standard random maps at regent level.

BTW, is Firaxis going to patch the readme and explain what accelerated production means? How did that non explanation slip by??
Old July 21, 2002, 15:57   #278
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Well by the sounds of it, they're planning on adding a number of things in PtW, so I suspect your wishes will come true then. So I guess you'll just have to exercise some patience. Frankly, I'm more disappointed that we didn't get auto-bombard this time, rather than with any shortcomings in the ability to create scenarios. As a modder myself, I have plenty to work with for the time being.
All things take time, and yes, there will probably be more in PtW. Unfortunately, Firaxis can't simply 'will' there to be more options... they take weeks to program in and test. I'm sure Firaxis would love to give us the best scenario editor that's ever been created, but like all companies, they are on a budget for both time and money, and only so much can be done in a few months.
Old July 21, 2002, 17:11   #279
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:30
after a bit of frustration, i got to rethink the situation.

i personally don't blame firaxis, at least not the programmers. being one my self (unfortunatly not anywhere at that level ) i know, that they only want to make the best possible. after all, the quality decides what you earn.

i can imagine at a meeting, when they were discussing which things to bring in and which not, the programmers got overruled by the project leaders...

talking about companies: of course there are budgets. and no one can force firaxis to bring free patches. but otoh with the original version, i think PtW-sales would be less than half of the people ready to buy it now. you've got to keep customers happy! so in long term patches (good ones) are needed.

at the moment i'm only disappointed, that the community (we) wasn't informed about the not-quite-scenario-editor. no one would be angry if they would have told us in advance, not to expect too much. it's definetly a big mistake of whoever decides about communication of firaxis. he/they are the only ones to blame... after all, the game IS great!

thanks firaxis for all and sorry about our whining. just next time calm our expectancies
Old July 21, 2002, 19:03   #280
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:30
In otherwords, "Firaxis: THE BIG TEASE".
Old August 20, 2002, 12:27   #281
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 20:30
There is a bug in the Military Advisor Screen. The game will hang or eventually crash if you plant a spy so you can see the military units of another civ.

Its OK till there is a spy. Its OK after the spy is gone or at least after the civ I had the spy planted in is gone.
Old August 31, 2002, 04:43   #282
bigphesta
Settler

I can't build cities... HELP My editor seems to not work
Old August 31, 2002, 10:43   #283
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

In order to build cities in the editor, you have to set the Active Player.
Old August 31, 2002, 14:41   #284
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:30
Quote:
Originally posted by bigphesta
I can't build cities... HELP My editor seems to not work
hi ,

can you build them with the active player or do they just simply dont show up on the screen , ....

have a nice day